Affordable Plasma Cutter

Humor, Politics, etc...
God.favored

Affordable Plasma Cutter

Post by God.favored »

Hey guys, just thought I'd throw this out there as a resource for anyone who's interested.
IMG_1087.JPG
Ever since I was able to use a plasma cutter in school I've wanted to buy one to have around the garage, but they've seemed like an un-needed expense. Well I just found one that I bought for $260, (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2315958622 ... noapp=true) it works amazingly well, cuts floor boards and sheet metal like butter and still cuts up to 3/8 with ease. Steel, stainless, aluminum doesn't matter.

Here's a video of operation that I watched before buying it. (can someone teach me how to embed on this forum? still havent figured it out)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BDqS_MOp_w

And here is a picture of a cutout I just did in my floorboard with it for my manual transmission swap.
Attachments
IMG_1078.JPG
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Affordable Plasma Cutter

Post by azdave »

Not bad. I bought a Longevity 3-in-1 unit years ago so I can stick, Tig and Plasma with pretty quick change-over but it was not cheap and is heavy.
That looks pretty portable if you have a 220 outlet nearby.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

This "Affordable" stuff is pretty amazing these days. I bought a Lotos Plasma cutter (great but yours looks even better) and it works very well.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

:goodpost:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Cool! :goodpost:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

azdave wrote:Not bad. I bought a Longevity 3-in-1 unit years ago so I can stick, Tig and Plasma with pretty quick change-over but it was not cheap and is heavy.
That looks pretty portable if you have a 220 outlet nearby.
I'd love to get a multi-process unit some day. we had some miller units that where amazing, small and light, but they only ran on 3 phase.

This one actually runs on 110 or 220. 110 does pretty well but you definitely need at least a 20amp circuit.
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
ptr

Post by ptr »

I bought a similar Zeny Cut-50 unit from Amazon for $260. Once I tested that it worked I replaced the six foot 14 gauge power cord with a 25 foot 12 gauge cord so I can move it to a project anywhere in the garage. Very useful and relatively precise tool. Wish I'd bought one years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
'65 Corvair Covertible
Restoration in process
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

I purchased a Hobart 250ci using my tool allowance at work, it has a built in air compressor and is totally portable. It is not as inexpensive as the other "affordables" at about $650 but Hobart is a Miller company. Hopefully it should be well supported if anything goes wrong and disposables are readily available. I would second the statement I wish I had gotten one years ago. It is a REAL time saver. I have used it at work and saved HOURS on cutting stainless steal firewalls for our engines. I did my back panel on my Corvair in minutes verses a couple of hours using a cutting wheel. I love mine and it has already paid my boss back in time saved on a number of projects.
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
toytron

Post by toytron »

Yes I agree. I own an older Hypertherm powermax 1000. I got it for free when I worked repairing welding equipment. Hey god.favored you might want to check because some of the name brand units could work on 220v single phase when you drop the red wire and use the properly rated plug (it will draw more current) but that is the trade off.

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

Return to “Off Topic”