LM Convert Unibody bottom Pictures

BEACHHOUSEGURU

LM Convert Unibody bottom Pictures

Post by BEACHHOUSEGURU »

Good Afternoon,
I am new to this forum so point me to the right place if it already exists. I am looking for a few pictures and details of how the body is constructed (I have a 66 Convert) interested in repairs and stiffening so I wanted to see what it is supposed to look like and what parts do most of the stiffening.

Any help appreciated - I see there is an introduction section I will do that next!

Thanks in advance

"Murph"
Beach House Guru
1966 Monza Vert (Blue)
66vairguy

Re: LM Convert Unibody bottom Pictures

Post by 66vairguy »

To answer your question - there is no one book. The closest is the Fisher Body Service Manual. The factory assembly manual is now reproduced, but it's for final assembly, not body assembly. The Fisher Body division built the bodies that went to the final production factory. To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever found a Fisher Body factory assembly manual for the Corvair. Not saying it doesn't exist

Unlike some convertible cars the underneath of the Corvair convertible looks about the same as the fixed roof cars.

You might find someone in your area that has a car you can look at when state were you are.

The 65 and later convertibles were built with reinforcements different from the fixed roof cars. Usually those in the know look at the rockers first. The metal is reported to be thicker and inside the rocker box there is a "Z" rail. Sadly GM did not galvanize this area and it can be rusted beyond easy repair. There are inspection plugs at each end in the wheel well area. There are some reinforcements at the base of each front door opening, especially prominent on the hinge side. If the rockers or door hinge areas are badly rusted ---- most won't fix it properly. Just patch it up to drive until the doors won't close due to body sag. A few dedicated folks have done proper repairs, but it's rare. Most just look for a better convertible car, or body. Another inspection area is to pull out the air vent panels below the dash (they are different vs. the fixed roof cars) and look down in the fender. Almost always filled with tree leaves and dirt from the cowl area.

A crude check is to stand in the car (behind front seat) and jump up and down on the floor while someone watches the door gap - if the gap changes you've probably got an expensive structural problem.

The convertible windshield frame uses the same glass, but is assembled with different parts. There is a brace on each side of the rear fender, the windshield cowl pan is different also. There are harmonic dampers bolted in each convertible fender - called "cocktail shakers" because that's kind of what they look like. Note they are usually missing in the rear for a number of reasons, usually repair access.

As a 66 convertible owner that's just off the top of my head. Even after years of working on my car I still find things that are different vs. the fixed roof cars.

The general consensus is the earlier convertibles (pre-65) have stiffer bodies and racing any convertible requires internal bracing not suitable for daily driving, not to mention the fixed roof cars are lighter (= faster).

I really like my convertible for cruising, but my fixed roof 66 is much more of a solid car and handles better.

Check the corvaircenter forum. More folks there with deeper knowledge of convertibles.

Good luck.
BEACHHOUSEGURU

Post by BEACHHOUSEGURU »

Thanks - I don't want to race this just trying to understand how to keep it as stiff as possible. My 66 Vert is just for street cruising and driving also. I am just back into Corvairs I had a 65 turbo coupe in 65 and this is my first so kind of starting all over again. I have one Fisher body book that is pretty useless in this area, but another on order. If anyone cuts an old body in half I wold love to see pictures of the cross section. I just bought a parts car that may meet that fate - pretty bad. and if it does I will document the hell out of the dissection. Do you know if the tunnel plays a part in stiffening - my is in pretty bad shape.
Beach House Guru
1966 Monza Vert (Blue)
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Everything in the car adds to stiffness, particularly any welded panels. Uni-body construction uses the entire body to add to the vehicles structure. The biggie in late convertibles is the center (extra) piece in the rocker panels and same in the hinge posts.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Hi,

I've worked on '65 and '66 convertibles and coupes. As far as I can tell, the tunnel pan in the convertible body is the same in the coupe and sedan bodies. There's no extra stiffening there.

The extra stiffening is in the rocker panels and door hinge abutments, as described in the previous posts above. For street use, those reinforcements should be sufficient unless your convertible is a real rust bucket.

Also, your '65-'69 convertible should be equipped with those "cocktail shaker" units mounted in the corners of the trunk and engine compartment. They don't stiffen the body, but they help to suppress body flex while driving over road imperfections. It's kind of a kluge, but don't feel bad about it. Lincoln Continentals had similar units as well as the first-series Camaro and Firebird convertibles.

If you jump up and down on the floor in a convertible, I'm sure you would see a small deflection in the door gaps - not to mention the fact that you'll probably oil-can the floor stampings <ggg!> I say this because the doors nearly pin themselves shut when you put a convertible up on four jack stands. It's that noticeable.

If you're not happy with the stiffness of your Corvair convertible, you can see some ideas that other owners put to use. Check out the July 2013 issue of the Lehigh Valley Corvair Club's newsletter. Here's a link that will take you there:

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/lvcc/lv ... _wheel.pdf

::-):
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Alan - yes the door gaps will change when on jack stands, but not too much if the car is solid. Floors should be fine for jumping up and down on, unless the guy is a line backer - GGGGG.

Note that rust under the lead filler at the windshield base corners must be fixed along with any rust in the windshield frame. Amazing how much the windshield frame "stiffens" up when you fix and weld up the little rusty places on a convertible. If you find major rust around the windshield, or anywhere else it's time to think about getting rid of the car, or doing some serious metal work.

Check under the rear seat as this is a water trap area on convertibles. There are drains in the floor behind the rear side armrest panels, sometimes plugged up by crud, or at the factory when some character got carried away with the seam sealer.

Minor rust or holes under the rear seat is not an issue if repaired. A rusted out lower seat cushion frame is a common problem and they are SCARCE.

Good luck.
BEACHHOUSEGURU

Post by BEACHHOUSEGURU »

Thanks to all who have commented- I have a 66 Vert that has had the rockers replaced but I'm not sure if they just covered up the rusted metal or actually welded them in structurally. I just acquired a parts cart that may well become my reference pictures depending on how bad it really is. Someone mentioned the extra metal in rocker area for Verts any idea what that looks like?
Beach House Guru
1966 Monza Vert (Blue)
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

It is a 5" tall by 5-6 foot long u-channel that welds into the center of the rocker panels attaching rocker step plate area to the bottom of the outer rocker panel along the rockers full length. Not visible from the outside unless the ends of the rocker boxes are rusted away at the wheel openings. The piece in this photo...outer rocker is cut off for replacement and repair of this center piece is underway. I cut the bad parts away and replaced as needed. This piece is nearly 1/8" thick.
2013-06-15 (6).JPG
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
BEACHHOUSEGURU

Post by BEACHHOUSEGURU »

Thanks - since the only corvair's I have ever had apart were new this is very helpful. It is surprizing that none of the body books seem to have pictures of this stuff?
if there are other pictures like that out there point me to them if you can

"Murph"
Beach House Guru
1966 Monza Vert (Blue)
BEACHHOUSEGURU

Post by BEACHHOUSEGURU »

I appreciate everyone's responses they were helpful. Now I have a follow on question. My LM tunnel covers and sides are not in great shape. I ordered a set from Clark's and the bottom pans are on the way but, the side covers/reinforcements are no longer available. I believe in supporting the corvair suppliers but since these are not being produced I wonder if anyone has a good set of dimensions and or pictures to guide me in fabricating a set. I can probably get most of the info from my rusty ones but the more info the better.
Thanks in advance for any help! If there is a best place to post this request I'd appreciate the pointer.
Thanks
"Murph"
Beach House Guru
1966 Monza Vert (Blue)

Return to “Corvair Video and Photo Threads”