1964 Corvair story

VietnamVet67

1964 Corvair story

Post by VietnamVet67 »

In 1964 I was working at a Sunoco gas station in the city of Detroit. In March of a 1964 a girl came into the station for the first time with her new 1964 Corvair Monza painted Daytona Blue and started buying gas there. To make a long story short we were married in 1965 and 52 years later we are still here together. Here are a few pics of her car at the gas station and at our first apartment. Had the car for 8 years and put 99,000 miles on it. Changed the oil every 3000 miles using Valvoline 10W-30 oil and the engine ran perfectly for all those years. The only engine problem we had was when a push rod punched a hole in the rocker arm and had to replace one head gasket. After 8 Detroit winters with all the salt they used around here it eventually rusted out pretty bad. Saved the engine and sent the body off to Corvair heaven. Notice the price of gas at the Sunoco station.
Attachments
Ann's 64 Corvair Monza.jpg
Ann's Corvair at Sunoco gas station.jpg
Ann's Corvair in front of our flat in Hamtramck.jpg
Image (362).jpg
January 1968.jpeg
64powerglide

Re: 1964 Corvair story

Post by 64powerglide »

Sweet, the Corvair looks good too. ::-): They do go good in the snow especially with snow tires.
Attachments
Last winter, no snow tires though. Black 64.
Last winter, no snow tires though. Black 64.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :clap: Welcome to the Corvair Forum, and thanks for posting those great pictures! My father grew up in Detroit and my mother was raised in Frankfort, Michigan. But they met in Florida during WWII and I was raised in California, being introduced to Corvairs when my parents bought their first new Corvair in 1961 when I was 8 years old. I can relate to your story about meeting your wife while working in a gas station, as I also met my future spouse while working in a Mobil gas station in 1971. I introduced her to Corvairs and we were married in 1972 (in a Corvair, of course, as shown below...

Still married going on 46 years, and still driving a Corvair — which brings me to my question: Are you still driving a Corvair? You said you kept the 1964 engine but had to scrap the rusted car body... is there another chapter to your Corvair story???

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
VietnamVet67

Post by VietnamVet67 »

For my wife's last birthday found a diecast car in the same colors as her car. She loved it.
IMG_2134.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG
IMG_2136.JPG
IMG_2137.JPG
VietnamVet67

Post by VietnamVet67 »

bbodie52 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 am :welcome2: :wave: :clap: Welcome to the Corvair Forum, and thanks for posting those great pictures! My father grew up in Detroit and my mother was raised in Frankfort, Michigan. But they met in Florida during WWII and I was raised in California, being introduced to Corvairs when my parents bought their first new Corvair in 1961 when I was 8 years old. I can relate to your story about meeting your wife while working in a gas station, as I also met my future spouse while working in a Mobil gas station in 1971. I introduced her to Corvairs and we were married in 1972 (in a Corvair, of course, as shown below...

Still married going on 46 years, and still driving a Corvair — which brings me to my question: Are you still driving a Corvair? You said you kept the 1964 engine but had to scrap the rusted car body... is there another chapter to your Corvair story???

:welcome:
I sold the engine to a guy who used it in a "dune Buggy". I went to work at the Chrysler Tech Center in 1965 in Highland Park, Michigan and worked in the Motorsports Race Engine Development Section for 42 years and retired in 2007. The Corvair was the ONLY non Chrysler vehicle we have owned.We used the Corvair on our honeymoon in December 1965 and toured around Michigan. When I came back from Vietnam we towed a enclosed U-Haul trailer with the Corvair to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with our housewares without a problem. That car was awesome. Haven't had any other connection with a Corvair since then.

Return to “Corvair Video and Photo Threads”