Post by garydup »

Car pics 005.jpg
Car pics 005.jpg
Car pics 004.jpg
hi manna,here are some more pics of my dads car,arround 1965-68
Nickshu

Re: more sa corvair pics

Post by Nickshu »

Aaah the days when cars were made of real steel! If I put my 5 year old on the hood of my 2013 Subaru she'd probably collapse and crease the hood instantly. :rolling:
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I understand the attractiveness of the "hood ornament" in the first two pictures, but what is the purpose of and how effective was the South African wild beast deflector in the last picture? :dontknow:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
garydup
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by garydup »

hi brad how you doing?

i think you are refering to the grill in the front,ok one thing we need to clear up is yes south africa has wild animas but we are no different to any other country.they are not in the towns and subberbs they are in the bush,and only realy dangerous animals are really far in the bush,no elephants,rinos lions in the towns.most of our highways are fenced off,sometimes we get roaming cattel,and spring bok which are attracted to the cars lights :nono: :nono:

ok back to the grill ,my dad fitted the grill in about 66-67 ,he found it in a scrappyard,it came from an opel kapitaan that had the bonnet squshed in an accident,he cut and moddified it ti fit,in 75 he made a fuel tank to fit inside the grill,2.5 gallons,which really helped on our long distance travels.in95 when the car was rebuilt the tank and grill were removed as the law had given us too many warnings and threats plus my dad wanted it to be closer to original.

thanks gary
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Thanks for the clarification concerning the appearance of wild animals in South Africa. It sounds similar to the appearance of wild deer or mountain lions, or other wild animals that occasionally wander into towns and other populated areas in the USA, but usually stay away from people.

I was curious about the addition of the front grill, so I tried to be a little humorous by calling it a "wild beast deflector". Its mild wedge shape reminded me a little of the term "cow catcher" used on some trains.
cow·catch·er (kou k ch r, -k ch -). n. The metal grille or frame projecting from the front of a locomotive and serving to clear the track of obstructions.

Mainly I was just curious about the adaptation of the front grill on the Corvair. I think it actually looked pretty good -- a nice variation from the concave "Caveman" look. Too bad it had to be removed. Strange that the law would even care about such a mild, unobtrusive custom modification! Thank you for the explanation.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “South Africa Corvair Enthusiasts”