Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

5 Years Ago... SOUTH AFRICA CORVAIR ENTHUSIASTS JOINED THE CORVAIR FORUM

Post by bbodie52 »

A LOOK BACK...

5 Years Ago.jpg
Scott Howey wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:40 pm

Welcome all SA Corvair Enthusiasts! :tu:
This section is just for you. Let me know if I can add anymore sections or make any changes to it for you.
1960-1964 Corvair of the Year 2013

It is all over but the congratulations for the winner of the Corvair Forum – Corvair of the Year (Early Model Division): South African garydup!

Competition was close, with some really great winners in this group!

Sadly, Gary's father, Gert, who kept this 1960 Corvair alive and healthy from the time it was brand new, passed away on Friday, October 4, 2013, after a short battle with cancer and total kidney failure. He was still alive when his car won the May 2013 Corvair of the Month award, and I'm certain he enjoyed that well-deserved recognition. I'm sure Gary appreciates the winning votes that further recognized his father's Corvair as 2013 Early Model Corvair of the Year!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Allan Lacki

Re: 5 Years Ago... SOUTH AFRICA CORVAIR ENTHUSIASTS JOINED THE CORVAIR FORUM

Post by Allan Lacki »

Question:

Is the South Africa Corvair Enthusiasts a formal club? Does it still exist?

If so, I'd like to invite them to be an official chapter of the Corvair Society of America.

Allan Lacki
Eastern Division Director
CORSA
::-):
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

Good evening Allan
There is no official Corvair Club in SA, I know of about 6 maybe 8 Corvair owners in SA and only 4 of us are in regular contact. It is my first return to the forum in 4 years :think: The Corvair was sold in SA for two years '60 and '61 and then the Chevy Nova took over from the Corvair, I stand corrected on that? Being such a rare car in SA and not a V8 it went by literally "unnoticed". I am referred to as the SA Corvair Nut, I have a '60 4dr fitted with a 3.2lt big bore built in SA, a '61 4dr 90% factory, a '63 Monza Coupe unfinished project, a '65 Coupe literally 100% factory. Parts are unobtainable in SA and shipping to SA has become a massive problem in the last 15 years, Raffee has been very helpful but 50% of our imports disappear.....somewhere :dontknow: Thank you for the query, much appreciated :tu:
WHY DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE THAN A CORVAIR :emfront:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'61 4dr 700 BIG BORE 3.2lt
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: It is good to hear from you again! I understand how the small presence of Corvair enthusiasts in South Africa keeps it at a low priority that is difficult to overcome. Even in the USA a Corvair is often parked for 20 or 30 years at a time before someone "picks up the ball and runs with it"! And we don't have all of the obstacles and parts supply problems that South Africa — or even Europe — is plagued with.

I hope you will keep in touch and give us updates on your Corvair-related projects from time to time. Hope you are doing well. :tu: :clap:

:Love it:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “South Africa Corvair Enthusiasts”