Electric Fuel Pump Installations

Need to know how? Want to show how?
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Electric Fuel Pump Installations

Post by davemotohead »

I quit using the airtext Mechanical pumps and now have installed the Carter Mechanical pumps with no problems, Jeff at Ca vairs also switched to carter and has had no problems and he installs a lot of them.
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Wow 66Vair that is GREAT information. Thanks for sharing that.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

From cilynx post Above: "For folks getting here from google years later, the Facet pump above with the dead followup link is a 40105. It's self-priming, self regulating, and pushes 4.5 PSI. You can see the numbers etched in the flange in the first picture -- 40 on the left of the bolt hole and 105 on the right."

Facet pump 40105 is the one I swear by, not swear at!
Mbrannon64

Post by Mbrannon64 »

My dad and I have been discussing putting a electric fuel pump on our 65 Corsa the previous owner had said when the engine was repaired a hopped up cam was installed. We don't know the specifics. But the car is very hard to start. You have to pump like crazy to get it to start and when driving when you reach your cruising speed and try to maintain it the car wants to hesitate unless your on the gas. Dad feels with the different cam it's effecting the way the mechanical fuel pump works. Could anyone tell me if the could be a factor. Thanks
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Mbrannon64 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:20 am My dad and I have been discussing putting a electric fuel pump on our 65 Corsa the previous owner had said when the engine was repaired a hopped up cam was installed. We don't know the specifics. But the car is very hard to start. You have to pump like crazy to get it to start and when driving when you reach your cruising speed and try to maintain it the car wants to hesitate unless your on the gas. Dad feels with the different cam it's effecting the way the mechanical fuel pump works. Could anyone tell me if the could be a factor. Thanks
The fuel pump is driven off an eccentric on the end of the crankshaft, the camshaft has no affect on it's operation. That said your cam may contribute to hard starting due to it's lift/duration profile. Ignition plays a big role in this....do you have a turbo or a 140? If it's a turbo the 24 degree advance makes for hard starting. I have a Safeguard ignition system and it has cranking retard which pulls back the timing during starting, that helped a lot on my turbo, I run it maxed out at 20 degrees crank retard. I am running at TB-20 cam.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Mbrannon64

Post by Mbrannon64 »

Thanks for the reply. We have the 140.
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Airtex Fuel Pumps wrote: Be sure to pick a location within 2-3 feet of the fuel tank!
I have an electric pump installed on my Corsa. It is installed at the back of the car by the starter. I've never had problems with it supplying fuel to the carb. I also have a 2 PSI pressure regulator on the output side of the fuel filter to keep a constant low pressure feed to the Carter carb. I'd have to look at the pump for manufacturer info - I don't think it is an Airtex. I didn't buy it or install it so I don't know it's history. It looks like one Clarks sells...

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”