1961 Corvair Electronic ignition with Pertronix Flame Thrower 2

Need to know how? Want to show how?
KevinWilsonSBC

1961 Corvair Electronic ignition with Pertronix Flame Thrower 2

Post by KevinWilsonSBC »

I upgraded the ignition on my 1961 Corvair Monza 900 to the Electronic billet distributor and flame thrower 2 coil. This video shows the results and my switched 12 volt wire to get a full 12 volts in the run position. Finishing the brakes and rebuilding the carbs next!

https://youtube.com/kevinwilsonsbc

Kevin Wilson
Charleston, SC
Sam's Frame and Alignment
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1961 Corvair Electronic ignition with Pertronix Flame Thrower 2

Post by bbodie52 »

gotahavit wrote:auto trans shifting stalling engine
» Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Looking for some ideas of what causes this. Engine runs and idles fine in neutral. When I shift to drive or reverse a load is put on motor and stalls. If I'm able to rev the engine high as I shift I can get it to drive around without stalling till I try stopping , then it dies again. Anyone knows what I should look for or check first ? Would like an idea to take to trans shop. Tanks for help
bbodie52 wrote:The Pertronix Ignitor II has been known to have some sensor problems managing a slow idle, such as found with a Corvair running a Powerglide automatic transmission in DRIVE. I believe the problem appears when the idle drops too low for the Pertronix Ignitor II electronic module to manage the pulses properly. The ignition system may begin to skip every other pulse, causing an ignition system misfire. This may show up with the engine dying when you shift a properly idling engine from NEUTRAL to DRIVE. The load of the torque converter may slow the engine to the point that the Pertronix unit begins to malfunction. The problem is not present in the Pertronix Ignitor I, the Crane Cams (FAST) XR-700, or the Stinger electronic distributor marketed by Performance Corvairs (Seth Emerson).
ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTOR UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT OPTIONS

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=15101

The above link points to a post that discusses several different electronic ignition options. While you could return to ignition points, the concept of an upgrade to a breakerless ignition system is a good one that improves reliability and eliminates the continuous tune-up cycle associated with adjusting and replacing ignition points and condenser.

If your aftermarket ignition coil is a Pertronix FlameThrower II coil, it is not compatible with a Pertronix Ignitor I electronic module or the Crane Cams/FAST optical trigger XR-700, because of its very low resistance (0.6 ohms) primary coil winding. That ultra-high voltage coil is overkill and not needed in a Corvair, and the high current it draws due to the 12 VDC/0.6 ohm Primary will damage an Ignitor I or an XR-700 unit. If you sell the Ignitor II and have a FlameThrower II coil, it should be sold along with the Ignitor II system.

Pertronix recommends a 3.0 ohm version of their FlameThrower I coil, along with their Ignitor I ignition module. The electronics in the Ignitor modules really prefers a full 12 VDC power source, so Pertronix recommends bypassing the ballast resistor wire in the Corvair wiring harness to provide that 12 VDC power to the Ignitor I module and to the ignition coil. Coupling it to the FlameThrower I 3.0 ohm coil sets up the coil for correct operation on 12 VDC on a six cylinder engine.

If you were to choose switching to the optical trigger Crane Cams/FAST XR-700, you would find that the electronic module it uses was DESIGNED to operate on the reduced voltage provided by the Corvair wiring harness ballast resistor wire (nominal 7 VDC). The XR-700 electronic unit will actually overheat and probably malfunction if it is powered by a full 12 VDC battery voltage. With the ballast resistor wire in the circuit, the coil chosen for use with the XR-700 should have a 1.5 ohm primary resistance. This is the resistance found in the stock Corvair coil, and in many high performance aftermarket coils. (I prefer the reliability and positive reputation of the FAST XR-700 system over the Pertronix aftermarket units).

The newest upgrade system is the Stinger replacement distributor, which uses a magnetic pulse breakerless ignition system similar to the Pertronix design. It has a switching transistor in the circuit that can handle a coil with a a low 0.6 ohm primary, or it will also work with a 1.5 ohm coil. The electronics in the Stinger distributor requires a full 12 VDC power source. I think this new, modern design distributor is the best choice, it is cost-effective, and it brings the 1960's Corvair ignition system forward 50 years to 21st century performance and reliability. You might consider calling Seth Emerson to discuss your options. He has a lot of Corvair experience and I believe he is also t president of the CORSA club chapter in San Jose.

Contact Us:
Performance Corvairs :link: https://www.perfvair.com/stinger-ignition-distributors/
Seth Emerson
3462 Kirkwood Dr.
San Jose, CA 95117

Email: Sethracer@aol.com
Phone: (408) 247-2237

:doh: :whoa: I hope all of this technical talk hasn't given you a headache. But when you modify the ignition system in your Corvair all components must be properly installed and properly wired according to the installation instructions, and compatibility issues must be fully addressed to have the new system installed according to the design specs.

CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

It is not a bad idea to relocate the coil mount position. The standard installation of the ignition coil was always mounting it directly on the right cylinder head. The cylinder head on an air cooled engine gets very hot, and a significant portion of that heat can be transferred via the coil mounting bracket to the coil body itself. I would recommend relocating any coil as shown in the pictures below.

The Pertronix (magnetic trigger) or Crane Cams (optical trigger) electronic modules will not fit in the 1960-1961 Corvair distributor, because of the large rotor and centrifugal advance mechanism location. A switch to a Stinger distributor will include a magnetic trigger system in it. Otherwise it would be necessary to install a 1962-1969 Corvair distributor that will accept an electronic ignition system upgrade.

If you decide to change to the later-design Corvair distributor, this chart will help yo to compare timing advance curves, so that a similar distributor timing curve can be selected for your engine. The Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania can probably help you to find a good, serviceable distributor from their wide selection.

New (1962-69) and Old (1960-61) Corvair Distributors
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
KevinWilsonSBC

Re: 1961 Corvair Electronic ignition with Pertronix Flame Thrower 2

Post by KevinWilsonSBC »

Relocating the coil away from the head is a great idea for sure! Will do that! Absolutely love this billet distributor and the new HEI wires are amazing!!!

Kevin
Charleston, SC
Sam's Frame and Alignment

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”