Dual exhaust completed.

Need to know how? Want to show how?
Airzack

Dual exhaust completed.

Post by Airzack »

I bought u pipes from rafee corvair which I have to say was a way better experience than Clark's. So thank you rafee for promptly shipping and delivering great parts. I bought 2 thrush turbo mufflers. Part #17711 from advanceauto. I believe they are 2 in. Inner diameter. On both sides. One centered and one offset. So I had to buy 2 adapters to make them fit together. This is totally clamped together. I also bought 2 tailpipe hangers for the tips. I haven't bought turndowns yet and probably won't. I ordered exhaust packings and donuts from autozone. Getting the old ones off was difficult to say the least. I also bought studs and nuts for the manifold from autozone. I also used copper rtv as to avoid any small leaks in all the joints. I like how it sounds but would probably be alot cooler without a powerglide. I will post up pictures soon.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Dual exhaust completed.

Post by bbodie52 »

The trombone-style dual exhaust offered by Clark's has been around since the 1960's. I had a set on my 1962 Monza back in the early 1970's, and I am considering a set on my 1966 Corsa.

This was an interesting custom design I remember seeing a few years ago...

MonzaDave (Dave Keillor, Rochester, MN) wrote:
bbodie52 wrote::goodpost: :ty:

I had never seen a crossover balance tube exhaust setup like that before. Is that a commercial product or your own design?
The exhaust is a "Big Dual" from Matt Nall that's no longer in production. It's 2-1/2" and the mufflers are Hedman turbos.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

NIce, so why the O2 sensors in the exhaust?
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

So what's your problem with Clark's? They are known for good service.
plrgpr

Post by plrgpr »

That was my first thought also Vairguy!
Gary Roberson
66 Vert 140 4-sp Corsa “clone”
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Airzack wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:18 pm I bought u pipes from rafee corvair which I have to say was a way better experience than Clark's. So thank you rafee for promptly shipping and delivering great parts. I bought 2 thrush turbo mufflers. Part #17711 from advanceauto. I believe they are 2 in. Inner diameter. On both sides. One centered and one offset. So I had to buy 2 adapters to make them fit together. This is totally clamped together. I also bought 2 tailpipe hangers for the tips. I haven't bought turndowns yet and probably won't. I ordered exhaust packings and donuts from autozone. Getting the old ones off was difficult to say the least. I also bought studs and nuts for the manifold from autozone. I also used copper rtv as to avoid any small leaks in all the joints. I like how it sounds but would probably be alot cooler without a powerglide. I will post up pictures soon.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Corvair Forum mobile app
Just make sure your tailpipe hangers attach to the engine or engine sheet metal and NOT to the body of the car. The powertrain move around when driving and will flex the exhaust system possibly damaging the packings at the manifolds other things.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”