'66 Corsa Turbo EDIS Ignition upgrade

Need to know how? Want to show how?
acarlson

'66 Corsa Turbo EDIS Ignition upgrade

Post by acarlson »

I've spent the last couple of months replacing my stock '66 Turbo ignition with a system which will allow me to load custom ignition timing maps. These maps will control the ignition timing based on manifold pressure and RPMs. After looking at a few options for this capability, I ended up installing a Ford EDIS-6 ignition coupled to a MegaJolt/E MK2 engine controller. I've just completed this project and I hope to get my engine back into my Corsa in time for the Corvair SpringFest next weekend in Helen, GA. We'll see. In any case, I also documented all of my work in a white paper in case any of you are interested in how this project progressed.

You can find my white paper here (43 MB): http://www.cincotek.com/Corvair/Corvair ... ersion.pdf . If you save the PDF file to your computer and view it from there the web links within the file to other websites will work. For some reason they don't seem to work if you read the file from your browser..

I also made a short movie of my last functional test of the conversion when I started the engine up for the first time with all of the components hooked up. It's short, about 7 minutes...
http://www.cincotek.com/Corvair/66Vair_EDIS6.mp4

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: '66 Corsa Turbo EDIS Ignition upgrade

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :coolphotos: :ty: Thank you for carefully documenting your work and posting it here!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
acarlson

Re: '66 Corsa Turbo EDIS Ignition upgrade

Post by acarlson »

Well, I finally got my turbo engine installed back into my Corsa. Today I took it out for it's first road test. I can't believe how well that car is running now !!! I didn't go very far but I did run it at WOT a couple of times and got the boost up. I was trying to log the vacuum/boost/RPM/Timing info from the MegaJolt but my laptop went to sleep during the run and killed the logging. I'll do it again in the next day or so. I have to say that other then the complete engine rebuild I did 2 years ago, this is by far the best mod I have done to the turbo - I have to "Thank" Nick (miniman82) for prodding me into doing it.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”