Wire harness

Need to know how? Want to show how?
64auto

Wire harness

Post by 64auto »

I need to replace my wire harness from generator going thru
engine bay to front of car. Mine must of got hot at one time and melted the plug and some wires.
Where it goes thru the hole to starter.
Is there a plug anywhere in the duck before it goes to the fuse box or is it one piece?
And what is that large copper wire that goes the full lenigth from back to front mine is green on my 64. Is it a ground?

Thanks
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Wire harness

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your earlier post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair. Your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities helps a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Some detailed photographs of your Corvair would be great! I also recommend that you post your location, as knowing your location can often suggest possibilities.

64auto wrote: » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:16 am

I need to replace my wire harness from generator going thru engine bay to front of car. Mine must of got hot at one time and melted the plug and some wires. Where it goes thru the hole to starter. Is there a plug anywhere in the duck before it goes to the fuse box or is it one piece?
And what is that large copper wire that goes the full lenigth from back to front mine is green on my 64. Is it a ground?
There are multiple wiring harnesses throughout the car. Several are major wiring harnesses, while others are small segments. I'm assuming your Corvair is a passenger car and not a van. There are some variations, depending on the actual model configuration and whether it is a stick shift or a Powerglide automatic transmission.

Some photographs of the specific damage would be helpful. There is a small, short wiring harness with a 2-pin connector that connects to the starter solenoid, and a much larger harness with a 10 pin multi-connector. Which was damaged? Can you identify the specific wires that burned or melted, and their original color? Also, I'm not sure about the large, green wire you describe. Could it be an add-on or modification by a previous owner?

I have provided a lot of wiring information below, which may overwhelm you if you don't have much experience in working with automotive electrical systems. More detailed descriptions and perhaps photographs might help.

Reference Section: CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing or "Pan & Scan". Click a second time for maximum enlargement...
1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic
1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic

1964 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram
1964 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=97

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=98

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=98A

NOTE: WIRING CATALOG PAGES CONTINUE FOR 3 MORE PAGES, THROUGH PAGE 100. Go to actual catalog pages to obtain ordering, pricing and availability information by clicking on any part number.

Here is a second source for Corvair wiring components...
66vairguy wrote: » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm an electrical person and I just wanted to say I had a great experience with M&H Electrical Fabricators in the Los Angeles area...

...Clark's sells M&H wiring harnesses and as far as I can determine M&H is the ONLY supplier that makes ALL the Corvair harnesses, even the one wire with connectors for the Spyder/Corsa thermistor (drives the temperature gauge).

I stopped by M&H's place of business and they were very helpful (I'm modifying one of their harnesses) and knowledgeable. I've used their harnesses in both my cars and fit and function is excellent.

M&H makes harnesses for lots of cars, but there commitment to the Corvair is worth noting. There are other suppliers, but over the years I've seen a number of so called "Corvair" wire harnesses from other suppliers that were incorrect or badly assembled that caused owners problems.

M&H Corvair Wiring Harness Catalog.pdf
M&H Corvair Wiring Harness Catalog
(849.15 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
:link: http://www.wiringharness.com/

Mailing Address:

M&H Electric Fabricators, Inc.
13537 Alondra Blvd.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

e-Mail Address: sparky@wiringharness.com

Sales and Customer Service: (562) 926-9552
Technical Support: (562) 926-9562
24 Hour Fax Line: (562) 926-9572
Repro Wiring Harnesses for America's Muscle Cars

M & H Electric Fabricators manufactures a complete line of exact reproduction wiring harnesses, battery cables and switches for Classic GM, Chrysler and AMC Muscle Cars.

All of our harnesses are hand assembled to original OEM specifications to ensure a perfect fit in your classic Muscle Car. Wire gauge, length, color and tape are exactly like stock original down to the last detail. Our rigid Quality Control Standards ensure that the harness you receive will look, fit and function as original. In fact, we are so confident in the quality of our harnesses that we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Just "click" around our web site for a while and see everything we have to offer. You can place an order, view any of our catalogs on-line or request a catalog via snail mail. Be sure to check out our FAQ page, it's loaded with answers and helpful tips.

In addition to servicing the Classic Muscle Car market, we also manufacture custom harnesses, pigtails and wiring assemblies for Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) as well. Some of our markets include: Automotive OEM, Performance Automotive Aftermarket, Heavy Truck and Bus, Farm Equipment, Marine and Industrial markets. Check out our list of customers.

We can build pigtails or harnesses to your print or help you design. Our extensive inventory of thousands of hard-to-find connectors and terminals (including discontinued GM part numbers) is unmatched in the harness industry. We specialize in low volume harness assemblies, pigtails and prototypes. Wire marking and printing is available, and our automated processing equipment ensures quality every step of the way.
Also consider...

:link: http://www.ronfrancis.com/

Ron Francis Wiring
(a.k.a. Wire Works)
200 Keystone Road, Suite #1
Chester, PA 19013

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CALLING US
Toll Free: 800-292-1940
Local number: 610-485-1981
To place an order or ask questions pertaining to placing an order, hit Option #1

To ask technical questions in reference to a product that you already own, or what you may consider an extremely technical question, and return authorizations, hit Option #3

To request our latest printed catalog to be mailed to you, hit Option #2

Our shop is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Sorry, but we are not open on the weekends. We do not have a showroom, but do allow customers to pick up their product from our location. If you are standing in our Pennsylvania location, you will pay Pennsylvania sales tax (6%) so weigh the benefits of shipping versus tax (plus the cost of gasoline) before you make the trip. We love to see our customers, and their cool cars, but we're not always worth the trip...

Please call for exact directions. We are located at the intersection of Rt. 322 (Conchester Highway) and Interstate 95 (near the Commodore Barry Bridge) on the Upper Chichester & City of Chester town lines, on a dead-end street that appears on both sides of the highway, at an interchange.
Their catalog is available for download at their Web site.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”