storage area in back of back seat

Need to know how? Want to show how?
hawkeyesheroes

storage area in back of back seat

Post by hawkeyesheroes »

can anyone tell me what the cardboard or particle board material that is mounted behind the back seat ( 69 Monza ) is called . I removed entire interior about a year ago to install quiet ride insulation all over, now can't seem to get a good fit when trying to reinstall. Is there a picture any where showing proper placement ? Looks like only one way it can go in so I shouldn't make a problem in calculus out of this. I wanted to mount speakers in the vertical section right under the back window , any opinions if this is a good place ,or other suggestions ? Also want to extend big thanks to brad b, terrible t , and Icelander , for helping me with fuel pump issue a few weeks ago. I replaced electric fuel pump with new mechanical, now it purrs like a kitten in a milk house . Has a little lifter ticking, but I think I can correct without major surgery. Thanks , hawkeyesheroes
terribleted

Re: storage area in back of back seat

Post by terribleted »

Clark's sells materials for this "package area or package tray". I have built a number of speaker boxes to fit the package deck area behind the rear seat. The area is large enough to build boxes of proper volume to accommodate a couple of 10" subwoofers just, but, 1 10" sub is plenty:) I have built these to take a pair of speakers, a pair of speakers and a sub, and for 2 subs only. Build a nice enclosure out of 1/2" and or 3/4" MDF depending on the speakers being installed and rock the world after:) One Corvair I had made over150DB in a sound competition. This one was MDF shaped, bodyworked with fiberglass and body fillers and painted to match the car.
Attachments
Copy of interior (2).jpg
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
hawkeyesheroes

Post by hawkeyesheroes »

Thanks Terrible, looks awesome, you do great work !
VairsRule

Post by VairsRule »

That's a really nice speaker cabinet, terribleted. :-)

The old VW Beetles have a very similar fold-down back seat and package area behind it. I made a speaker panel for mine using 1/4-inch plywood covered with vinyl. It was just a flat panel that set on top of the package area, did not even require any fasteners. It turned the entire package tray into a big speaker cabinet, but could easily be tilted up to put items under it, or removed entirely (just unplug the speaker wires).
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Thanks! I have done a number of different configurations in this area over the years.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Jims_Corvair

Post by Jims_Corvair »

I thought it was called Masonite. But if it's wooden it could be replaced with Luan. Either might need something for sound absorbing material added.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Corvair Forum mobile app

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Jims_Corvair wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:30 pm I thought it was called Masonite. But if it's wooden it could be replaced with Luan. Either might need something for sound absorbing material added.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Corvair Forum mobile app
The factory material lining the rear package tray was always cardboard.

64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

The space behind the back seat is senseless and not worth using for the trouble it takes to get there and then to close it up and flip the seat back. Wouldn't be so bad if the heavy cardboard veneer sheet wasn't molded and had to be tucked and fitted each time you pulled it and reinstalled it. I did want to see the compartment when I learned of it because you never know what treasures you may find in it. I bet it was a drug smugglers dream!!
erco

Post by erco »

@terribleted: What a beautiful speaker box you built! I also put my speakers there, just mounted a flat plywood plate at whatever the angle was and put auto carpet on. Worked fine. Bad photo attached (should have taken more/better) before I removed my previous installation, I'm redoing it now.

I'm considering a center subwoofer as you show. Is the sound quality good ? Did you build a box for it? I'm guessing a small amplifier.

Related: anybody notice how hard it is to find rolls of auto carpet these days? A dozen years ago, you could buy it in several colors at Pep Boys and such. Now it's all special order, an upholstery shop told me "nobody uses it anymore". I made & installed my own carpet long ago. Super easy on a Corvair's flat floor, not that much cutting & sewing involved.
Attachments
spkr.JPG
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

erco wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:13 am @terribleted: What a beautiful speaker box you built! I also put my speakers there, just mounted a flat plywood plate at whatever the angle was and put auto carpet on. Worked fine. Bad photo attached (should have taken more/better) before I removed my previous installation, I'm redoing it now.

I'm considering a center subwoofer as you show. Is the sound quality good ? Did you build a box for it? I'm guessing a small amplifier.

Related: anybody notice how hard it is to find rolls of auto carpet these days? A dozen years ago, you could buy it in several colors at Pep Boys and such. Now it's all special order, an upholstery shop told me "nobody uses it anymore". I made & installed my own carpet long ago. Super easy on a Corvair's flat floor, not that much cutting & sewing involved.

I did build the box. You will get better sound from your speakers if they are boxed behind the face plywood that you mounted them in. It is essential for a sub to be mounted in a properly sized box for it to work properly and not self destruct over time. The sub in this setup was a small volume JL audio 10W3. This sub also has a pretty short height. If the height from top of speaker to back of magnet is too big fitment becomes a problem You can not build a ox of the correct size (in cubic feet) in this space for many subs without using the entire space behind the face of the box. You need to have the specification for sealed box volume and build an enclosure that matches the suggested volume. You should build subwoofer boxes out of 3/4" MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) for best sound and so as not to blow apart a weaker box with a big bass hit.

The sub amp is a 250x1 and as I recall the Alpine was a 4 channel 50 per channel.

The sound quality of this system was awesome. All JL Audio speakers and good clean amps will do that with good boxes. The front parts of the system was JL audio bi-separates with a 6.5 woofers in the doors and tweeters mounted by the upper corners of the windshield.
interior (3).jpg

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”