1962 headlamp switch wires

Need to know how? Want to show how?
guru_1071

1962 headlamp switch wires

Post by guru_1071 »

I have a small issue,

i have a new headlamp switch for my 62 coming from Clark's as the old one had issues

unfortunatly as i removed the old one the plug turned to dust and all the wires fell off before i had chance to notice / realise the hell i was about to be in.....

can anyone advise which colour wire goes to which terminal - i am having to fit them as individual wires

the manual is no use as it shows wire colours, but not pin positions

this is the early switch, not the later one with the round corner at the back

nothing i can find on the internet will help!

cheers
terribleted

Re: 1962 headlamp switch wires

Post by terribleted »

Are you sure the GM shop manual does not show pin positions? I do not have the 62-63 supplement. The 64 supplement clearly shows all pin positions but the diagram is all in one diagram. The 61 main book has each circuit separate if you look closely at these diagrams you will see the wire go to a blob labeled light switch. if you look even more closely you can see a dot on the line that is the wire. That dot is the position in the plug. The wire then continues right (fuzzy looking looks larger than the line "wire" we followed to get to the plug) to another dot over a rectangle that is the H/L switch itself. The position of the dot shows which tang that wire goes on. It is a poor diagram but the info is there.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is my guess for the wiring connections. This is based on a picture of the switch and examination of the 1962 Corvair schematic. There appear to be 7 wire connections and one unused. I do not have an actual switch to test the connections through the switch using a multimeter, so I would suggest you check for continuity using the different control knob positions.

Left-click the image once or twice to enlarge for better viewing...
1962 Passenger Car Combined Schematic
1962 Passenger Car Combined Schematic

1960-1963 Corvair Light Switch Connections
1960-1963 Corvair Light Switch Connections

You might try contacting Clark's for confirmation of the switch connector labels.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

That diagram clearly shows the locations just like the later books...why are the 61 main book wiring diagrams so dumb anyway?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

thank you brad

I have been struggling as I only have the 61 book with the separate diagrams, this combined with a faulty switch and many other things that are not working or where wired up back to front by the previous owner are making life difficult / interesting

your wiring diagram is a thousand times clearer than the ones in the 61 book (which are pretty good as they make all the circuits simple, but obviously Chevrolet felt that as the switch was on a plug they didn't need to provide a clear pin out diagram!)

I'm sure when my new switch arrives from clarks everything will be come more apparent!.

as I'm in the UK I think it would be a bit of a drive to any CORSA meetings!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

I have come to believe that the car design engineer's notes and working diagrams were simply printed in the 1961 Shop Manual, as professional technical writers had not had a chance to clean it up. The later supplements and the 1965 Shop Manual reflect the work of the GM tech writers.

The 1960 Corvair reflects, I believe a prototype that was not quite ready for prime time. The 1961 Corvair was a developmental car that shows the transition into the 1962 model year, which seemed to reflect the final car that the engineers would have preferred for their initial release. It looks like GM Marketing and GM Engineering finally merged into a complete product in 1962, with features like a redesigned distributor, automatic choke, a redesigned master cylinder, cooling fan improvements, self-adjusting brakes (1963), front sway bar, the turbocharged Spyder configuration, air conditioning development, increased engine displacement to 145 CID, Monza trim, etc, all phased in during the 1961-1962 development.
Brad Bodie
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

great success

I now have a working switch that does everything its meant to.

turns out some of my electrical issues where caused by the previous owner fitting a double pole single filament 28 volt bulb in one of the rear stop/tail lamps..... any wonder that didn't work!

just got the flashers / brakes / wipers / washer / heater blower to sort out and I'm electrically good!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :clap:

Sounds great! Glad you had some success in sorting out your problems with your lighting circuits. Just out of curiosity, did you happen to compare the final wiring of your switch with the guesses that I made in the diagram below? I'm curious because if my guesses were correct I could use them in the future to help others with early model Corvairs by adding that switch diagram to the wiring schematics that I published earlier. I don't actually own an early Corvair to check the wiring myself, but I would like to know if the guesses that I made in labeling the terminals of the switch were actually correct.

Brad Bodie
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

brad

I think you where one wire out from memory, but it was a great start, with your drawing and the wiring diagram I got it sussed

I did have a bit of struggle as the dome light didn't work, I suddenly thought 'aha' and grounded the switch out!

its all fitted now, so I cannot confirm the wires as its all up behind the dash

but I thank you for your efforts!
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Shame on you Brad. You should own one of each year and model. I guess I shouldn't talk since I don't own a Loadside yet or a '63 Rampside. Oh and I only have a '63 8-door. Dang I have some shopping to do...
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Carl CT

Post by Carl CT »

This was a helpful thread, so I'm going to post where I ended up. I copied the format from another poster, unfortunately my photo skills are a whole lot worse than his. My connector also turned to dust when I removed it. Note the wire that says "Black 18" is actually white in my car, I used the wire color in the wiring diagram imagining most of you will have black. I wired this in this way and it works fine. I think I found the connector, this switch is used on many Chevrolet products from the late '50s to the early '60s. If you google the connector part number you will find a Corvette site or two and they sell them. The Chevrolet P/N for the switch is 19995099, and the connector P/N is 2973871. Note I have not ordered the connector and tried it out but it sure looks like it is the right one.
image1.jpeg
Hope this helps
Carl
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Great info. Thanks!
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
BHalt

Post by BHalt »

Carl,
this is my first post so bare with me. I have a 62 Spyder and have been going through the same issues. I'm glad I read this post, because the photo your showing is exactly how my wire connector is colored/labeled. The confusion comes in when trouble shooting using the factory schematics using either fig 8-30 and or fig 8-33. The wiring according to these, are completely 180 to the configuration Carl posted which happens to be the way mine is as well. So initally I was assuming someone may have moved spades in connector, or the switch was incorrect..or who knows...but at least there is some calirty now...well for me anyway.

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”