Dielectric Grease for sockets and plug wires.

Need to know how? Want to show how?
66vairguy

Dielectric Grease for sockets and plug wires.

Post by 66vairguy »

I was helping a some club members with turn stop lamp issues. I found corroded sockets and bulbs that had to be destroyed to remove them. I was surprised that nobody had heard of using dielectric grease.

Year ago I found the just a little smear of dielectric grease (GM called it silicon grease for use in their starter bushing) makes the bulbs go in very easy, prevents corrosion, and allows the bulbs to be removed easily.

Dielectric grease on the inside of the spark plug boots also ensures they can be removed easier when it's time to change the spark plugs.

Dielectric grease is not electrically conductive, but doesn't interfere with metal to metal contact electrical conduction.

Most auto parts stores carry it. BTW - it comes in small tubes and bigger cans and prices seem to vary a lot - so shop around.
Jerry Whitt

Re: Dielectric Grease for sockets and plug wires.

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Have used it for years and it works good!
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I agree. I said much the same in a post earlier this month...
:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 569#p95569
bbodie52 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:27 pm
66corsaguy wrote:...Is there anything i can do to keep that from happening? It melted and than is sitting on the metal body of the car which i would assume shorts it...
The corrosion that develops from age, exposure and moisture creates an increasing high resistance to current flow. The voltage is applied but instead of current flowing to the bulb filaments, the high resistance in the corroded electrical contacts also generate heat, which ultimately melted the plastic connector shell.

At this point, the badly deteriorated connector and switch need to be replaced. In the future, periodic inspection and cleaning will help to ensure proper operation and a good electrical circuit.

Also, try using this on metal connectors that are subject to conditions that promote corrosion. (Should help in the engine compartment multi-connectors, too!)
:link: https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-D ... ive+grease

Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube
  • Protects electrical connections and wiring from salt, dirt and corrosion
  • Prevents voltage leaks around any electrical connection
  • Extends the life of bulb sockets
  • Required for modern high energy ignition systems
  • Suggested Applications: Marine and automotive electrical connections, spark plug boots, trailer hitches, battery terminals
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dave t

Post by dave t »

An old retired marine airframe & powerplant mechanic told me once that they ran out of dielectric grease on a Pacific island during WWII. He started using vasoline on all wire connectors on the corsair & p38's. It kept them from corroding in the hostile environment. I have used it ever since. I carry a small plastic bottle in my toolbox with a Q-tip stuck in it. I put it on all light bulbs and wire connectors. Works great.

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

bmwtodd1

Post by bmwtodd1 »

In the vintage motorcycle community, if a socket or connector is corroded, soaking in vinegar removes corrosion, followed by dielectric grease to protect. I realize not everything can be immersed easily, but a zip lock bag filled with vinegar and rubber banded is possible sometimes.
64 Monza Convertible
61 Loadside
66 Mustang Fastback
54 ea BMW motorcycles
1 TR6 Special Competition Triumph
32d Free Mason, Scottish Rite Mason
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :clap:

Image Image
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”