VDO cylinder head temp gauge

Need to know how? Want to show how?
Bard Beach

VDO cylinder head temp gauge

Post by Bard Beach »

Picked up this temp gauge. The idea is to install it on cylinder 4 of my 63 Monza. (Engine is 64)
The thermocouple goes in under a spark plug. I've read that some corvair owners have this installed and are happy with it.
My question is about how the thermocouple routes back out through the shroud.
Has anyone installed one for these? How does it go through the spark plug wire boot?

http://www.discountegauges.com/cyl-head ... p-127.html

wbabst

Re: VDO cylinder head temp gauge

Post by wbabst »

Bard, I have installed this gauge on my 63, now moved to my 61. The gauge looks a little different but is a VDO Cylinder Head Temp Gauge. Some people complain that it is not temperature compensated, but I don't figure it's too much of a big deal. It gives you a good idea of where you are day to day. My runs between 325 and 350 day to day, and is a nice back up for the idiot light.

To run the thermocouple out, I notched the sparkplug boot hole and then used a grommet with a 1/8" hole to run the thermocouple through the notch and then put the boot back in the spark plug hole. The grommet seals the notch nicely, protects the couple wire, and lets the wire out next to the spark plug boot. I ran the wire back to the car under the belly zip tying it to the main harness along the way an then up into the dash.
Attachments
My Gauges installed
My Gauges installed
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
Bard Beach

Post by Bard Beach »

Thanks for the help! Got the thermocouple installed but now need to figure out the wiring to the dash. Thought it might be possible without getting the car up on jack stands, but will do that step a little later

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

You will find some schematic wiring diagrams using the following link…

CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

The fuel gauge is wired to a switched junction point that provides it with power when the key is turned on. If you locate that power wire behind the instrument panel it would likely be a good location to tap for instrument power to your cylinder head temperature gauge. Make sure that the gauge is properly grounded. You will still probably have to get under of the car to route the thermocouple sensor wire from the engine compartment to the instrument panel location.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dave t

Post by dave t »

I installed my VD O thermocouple at the threaded hole on the left head where the thermister goes on a 140 or turbo. I believe I used a short 3/8-18 bolt (might be a different size) and two washers. Drilled a hole in the rear shroud and used a grommet under the oil cooler just like the 140 & turbo thermostat wire. Routed the wires along with the engine harness to the dash. Tested it using an infrared thermometer. It displays about 3 degrees cold. I then cut the wires and installed.a plug by the firewall engine harness plug for service later. Tested again and got the same readings.
I figure most gauges are not 100%. I know what my standard temp should be on the gauge. If it climbs, I will know things are getting hot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”