Number of bulbs and quantity of each?

Need to know how? Want to show how?
Kent1915

Number of bulbs and quantity of each?

Post by Kent1915 »

Hi, I’m contemplating replacing all the instrument lights with LEDs. I have a 68 500. I’m looking at superbrightleds.com but need to know how many of each bulbs I would need. Anyone done this and have a material list? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
66vairguy

Re: Number of bulbs and quantity of each?

Post by 66vairguy »

The Superbrite site has a cross reference for each specific car model. Although I didn't agree with some of the suggestions they had. And in some cases you have options for different colors. YOU have to decide what you want.

LEDs for the fan and oil warning lamps WILL NOT WORK in a LM Corvair because of the polarity.
Kent1915

Post by Kent1915 »

Thanks for the heads up. Would have tried fan and oil without that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Superbrite now sells "Warm White" that has the same color range as an incandescent, but brighter. The standard LEDs tend to be a little bluish and wash out the orange needles of a Corsa instrument cluster, but might be fine with the 500 instrument cluster. Just my opinion.
Kent1915

Post by Kent1915 »

Yeah I have leds in house. Warm white is less harsh for sure. I appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
dave t

Post by dave t »

I Don't have a count but... make sure the led's shine light to the side, not straight forward. Otherwise you will get poorly lighted gauges. Also, only use standard incandescent bulbs for the gen light. Otherwise it won't work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: You can use the schematic diagram below to count the number of bulbs installed on either the Monza/500 or Corsa instrument panel. The second image shows the rear instrument panel detail for the Corvair Monza/500. The last image shows the bulb application details from the original 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual.

Left-click each image to enlarge for better viewing
1965-1969 Corvair - Instrument Cluster and Body Harness (CORRECTED).jpg
1965-69 Corvair Instrument Panel Detail (Monza).jpg
Chassis Electrical - Bulbs (1965).jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

dave t wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:42 pm I Don't have a count but... make sure the led's shine light to the side, not straight forward. Otherwise you will get poorly lighted gauges. Also, only use standard incandescent bulbs for the gen light. Otherwise it won't work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app
The Superbrite do have LED chips all around so the have a 360 degree illumination. They DO dim, but not like the original lamps, very narrow range. However - considering everyone complains the stock lamps are too dim the "dimming" function is kind of a moot point.

I have a 66 Corsa dash and used the "BA9S-WWHP5" warm white. Be aware that the plastic bulb domes in the tachometer must be removed for either the LED or the newer incandescent bulbs due to clearance. I was pleased with the color rendition of the gauges and the increase in illumination - just right for city driving.

A HUGE improvement was the turn signal indicators - I used "BA9S-GHP5" green LED. Much brighter without overheating the socket.
Kent1915

Post by Kent1915 »

Thank you all. I've got my order placed and by the time I get home from a work trip I should be able to get to work!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”