shift boot install problem

Need to know how? Want to show how?
Chas365

shift boot install problem

Post by Chas365 »

I just installed new Clarks molded carpet in my 1965 monza. My shift and throttle locations were cut previously without the throttle installed so they fit. I'm having major problems getting the shift lever boot secured. I assume that the thin flange fits under the carpet and secures in the two holes in the shifter base with machine screws, (not sheet metal screws?)
I have cut the the shifter opening as far as I can but just can't seem to get it below the carpet while the thick base flange is on the top.
There is padding under the carpet at the shifter which I removed when i cut the opening. Very hard to cut BTW. Do I have to undercut the padding to provide a thinner section to fit the boot under?
Any help appreciated - I'm on the home stretch on the restoration after it sat in the garage for 40 years.
Charlie
steve57

Re: shift boot install problem

Post by steve57 »

i'm surprised that one the of the guys that know everything about Corvairs did not answer this question, so i will try . Section 7 , sheet B2 , of assembly manaul, shows that you need the retainers and screws to secure the boot to floor. then looks like carpet only under boot rim.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

as I recall the padding must be removed for the carpet to fit into the bottom fold of the boot. have not installed a carpet in quite a few years.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Chas365

Post by Chas365 »

Thanks for the info. I got it installed by partially removing the carpet and then securing the boot using screws and some flat washers to hold it. Then I removed more of the pad and lowered the carpet onto the boot and pulled the upper flange/edge out from below the carpet.
I needed to sleep on it to see that I had been doing it backwards by installing the carpet first and then stuffing the boot through the opening in the carpet and then trying to secure it - kind of dumb actually.
I'll blame it on the fact that I'm almost done with an 18 month total restoration of the 1965 Monza coupe that my wife and I bought over 50 years ago.
When I can take the time to figure out how to do it, I'll post some progress pictures.
Thanks
Charlie
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

Does anyone know how to properly reinstall a shifter assembly? Does the seat with one tang have to be on a certain side?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”