1963 Lower Front Panel Replacement Help

Need to know how? Want to show how?
jedgrossman

1963 Lower Front Panel Replacement Help

Post by jedgrossman »

I recently purchased this car for a new project. I am hoping I can get some advice/pointers on installing the lower front panel. My other car is a 1967 Nova and the body panels were not in that bad of shape and I have little experience with this and want to make sure it is done correctly. I have cut the old one out but I have left about an inch more metal than is need on the front of the car. I guess my question is, what is the best way to get this thing on! Any tips on getting the line cut correctly so the new lower front panel meets the rest of the car correctly. Should I use a flange tool to create a flange for it to but up to? I have already purchased the new lower front panel from Clark's. Any advice, videos, or pics would be greatly appreciated!
2.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg (34.75 KiB) Viewed 381 times
terribleted

Re: 1963 Lower Front Panel Replacement Help

Post by terribleted »

I would use a butt weld across the top. Assuming the replacement piece has 90 degree flanges for welding on the ends and bottom that accounts for how to attach all 4 sides. I would be trying to clamp the new panel to the car at the bottom flange after trimming the sides so it will go into place at the ends. After fitting it into place over what is left at the top I would mark and cut away existing metal or trim the replacement part for a close butt fit and weld the panel in place. You may be able to fit the 2 sides and the bottom and simply cut thru the new panel and edge of the hole you have at the top and weld as you go. This will not work well if your seam goes thru any of the spot welds along that line as you would not be able to remove the small strip of existing metal you will be cutting if it has any spot weld holding it. I will often clamp a panel like this into place and trim the new panel a little partially cutting the existing panel as I go. I then remove the new panel, finish cutting the existing panel along the partial cut I just made, and then reinstall the new panel and weld it in place.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”