CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

Need to know how? Want to show how?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

Post by bbodie52 »

Corvair Auto Electric Schematic Diagrams.jpg

This company actually makes the Corvair wiring harnesses sold by Clark's Corvair Parts. Their Corvair catalog for 2023 is attached.
66vairguy wrote: » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm an electrical person and I just wanted to say I had a great experience with M&H Electrical Fabricators in the Los Angeles area...

...Clark's sells M&H wiring harnesses and as far as I can determine M&H is the ONLY supplier that makes ALL the Corvair harnesses, even the one wire with connectors for the Spyder/Corsa thermistor (drives the temperature gauge).

I stopped by M&H's place of business and they were very helpful (I'm modifying one of their harnesses) and knowledgeable. I've used their harnesses in both my cars and fit and function is excellent.

M&H makes harnesses for lots of cars, but there commitment to the Corvair is worth noting. There are other suppliers, but over the years I've seen a number of so called "Corvair" wire harnesses from other suppliers that were incorrect or badly assembled that caused owners problems.
Here is the link to the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog that covers wiring harnesses...

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... ow_page=97

:link: http://www.wiringharness.com/

Mailing Address:

M&H Electric Fabricators, Inc.
13537 Alondra Blvd.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

e-Mail Address: sparky@wiringharness.com

Sales and Customer Service: (562) 926-9552
Technical Support: (562) 926-9562
24 Hour Fax Line: (562) 926-9572

M&H Corvair Wiring Harness Catalog Cover.jpg
M&H Wiring Harness Catalog - Corvair (2023).pdf
M&H Wiring Harness Catalog - Corvair (2023)
(464.46 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

The Corvair shop manuals divide the engine compartment, interior, and trunk wiring diagrams into separate sections that are displayed on separate pages. Sometimes it is easier to analyze a circuit if you can trace it end-to-end on the same page. Each schematic is displayed below first as an embedded image that can be enlarged by left-clicking it with your mouse for better viewing. If the cursor appears with a plus (+), the image can be clicked again to further enlarge it. The second image in each group is the same image, but displayed as a slightly larger "preview"...

Wiring Circuit Color Code.jpg
Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing or "Pan & Scan". Click a second time for maximum enlargement...
1965 Corvair Corsa Full Schematic (Rev. E)
1965 Corvair Corsa Full Schematic (Rev. E)

Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing or "Pan & Scan"...
1965 Corvair Monza Full Schematic (Rev. E)
1965 Corvair Monza Full Schematic (Rev. E)

There were several diagram errors in the 1965 shop manual that I have corrected. These errors were in the wiring of the left-rear tail light, the wiring of the tachometer sensing wire and the thermistor wire for the Corsa instrument panel connection, and a couple of wires on the Monza/500 instrument panel 12-pin multi-connector that were incorrectly positioned (instrument panel lamps and the high beam indicator).

Some of the labeling has been modified or enhanced to reflect "Corsa Only", Powerglide Only", "Manual Transmission Only", etc.

These two diagrams attempt to show the differences between the Corsa and the Monza (primarily the instrument clusters). Because of the difficulty in editing these images, I did not completely remove some of the "Corsa only" wiring between the engine and the instrument panel harness, but you will be able to see that the Monza connector simply omits the wiring that is unique to the Corsa, by leaving some of the pins in the 12-pin multi-connector empty.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

ImageImage

1964 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram

In the schematic diagram below I have combined the engine compartment, interior and trunk wiring diagrams for the 1964 Corvair passenger car into a single diagram.

1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic
1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic

In the schematic diagram below I have combined the engine compartment, interior and trunk wiring diagrams for the 1964 Corvair passenger car into a single diagram. I have also modified the wiring diagram to remove the generator and generator voltage regulator and replace them with the 1965-69 alternator and external alternator voltage regulator.

I used existing generator wiring to connect the alternator voltage regulator to the alternator and labeled the terminals. I added the wire labeled 10 R to the alternator connection and added a junction point to connect it to the existing wire labeled 10 R (routed from the battery positive terminal to the ten pin multi-connector). A voltage regulator voltage sensing wire labeled 20 R was also added from voltage regulator connector 3 to the existing positive battery wire 10 R (requires a splice connection). The existing wire labeled 20 BRN was retained and is connected to the voltage regulator connector 4. (This is the GEN/FAN warning light).

1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod)
1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod)

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

ImageImageImage

1963 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic
1963 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic

1963 Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod)
1963 Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod)

1962 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram
1962 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram

In the schematic diagram below I have combined the engine compartment and interior wiring diagrams for the 1962 Corvair passenger car into a single diagram. I have also modified the wiring diagram to remove the generator and generator voltage regulator and replace them with the 1965-69 alternator and external alternator voltage regulator.

I used existing generator wiring to connect the alternator voltage regulator to the alternator and labeled the terminals. I added the wire labeled 10 R to the alternator connection and added a junction point to connect it to the existing wire labeled 10 B (routed from the battery positive terminal to the eight pin multi-connector). A voltage regulator voltage sensing wire labeled 20 R was also added from voltage regulator connector 3 to the existing positive battery wire 10 B (requires a splice connection). The existing wire labeled 20 BRN was retained and is connected to the voltage regulator connector 4. (This is the GEN/FAN warning light).

Left-click the schematic diagram below to enlarge for better viewing…
1962 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment (Alternator Mod)
1962 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment (Alternator Mod)

Left-click the schematic diagram below to enlarge for better viewing…
1962 Passenger Car Combined Schematic
1962 Passenger Car Combined Schematic

1962 Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod)
1962 Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod)

1962 Corvair 95 Full Schematic (Corrected)
1962 Corvair 95 Full Schematic (Corrected)

:chevy:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
acarlson

Re: Corvair Combined Wiring Schematics

Post by acarlson »

Thanks Brad - this is very helpful (I did this myself a while ago but your images are better quality) :tu:

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

Post by bbodie52 »

I have updated and added additional schematic diagrams to this thread to cover Corvair model years from 1962 to 1965. I have also included modified schematics for 1962, 1963, and 1964 that show the wiring changes needed for the installation of a standard Corvair alternator with external voltage regulator in place of the original generator-based charging system.

1966 Corsa and 1966-1969 Corvair Monza and Corvair 500 wiring diagrams are very similar to the 1965 diagrams. The primary difference in later model years was in the color code used on the wires. I do not have access to 1966 and later supplements to use as a basis for actual drawings targeting those years. Also, I have not done a 1961 diagram yet, because the 1961 diagrams in the basic shop manual were poorly done and do not follow the standards utilized by GM technical writers and engineers in 1962 and later schematic diagrams. It will take me longer to analyze the 1961 wiring diagrams to determine exactly how they differ from the 1962 Corvair schematics. I also don't have access to a 1960 shop manual that I could use as a basis for 1960 wiring schematic.

If you discover any faults or errors in the diagrams that I have prepared, or if you have any suggestions for improvements that I could make, please send me a PM with your recommendations and suggestions. I hope these modified schematic diagrams that I have prepared will prove useful to Corvair owners as they work with the wiring in their Corvairs.

Below are the instructions for converting an early model Corvair that is equipped with a generator to a late-model Corvair alternator charging system…

CORSA Tech Guide, Volume 1

Alternator-Generator Swap

By Bob Helt, Cactus Corvair Club

There are several good reasons to consider replacing that generator with an alternator. The first and primary reason is charging ability. Corvair generators came in 30 and 35 amp capacity, but only develop this output at relatively high speeds. Charging ability at idle at and relatively low speeds was nil. The alternator, however, while rated at 37 Amps (47 Amps with factory air conditioning) produces is charging current at much lower speeds than the generator. This increased charging ability at low speeds will keep your battery charged layer in heavy traffic conditions, or moving slowly while using lights and heater.

Other advantages of using an alternator to replace or generator include: less weight; easier removal for servicing; less likely to need servicing; and fairly easy to upgrade to even higher outputs. You can upgrade your Corvair alternator 255 or 63 amp capacity by installing the rotor and stator windings from a Chevrolet in your Corvair housing, and using the appropriate regulator.

The parts you will need to complete the installation can best be obtained from the local junkyard. You may have to buy some of the parts new, but a little searching for use parts should pay off. You will need the following:
  1. Corvair alternator and end brace, plus 3 mounting bolts.
  2. Regulator. A used regulator will probably work okay but, if you desire to buy a new one, consider the fact that the correct regulator from a local parts house will probably cost less than Chevrolet's version.
  3. Rubber shock mounts/nuts for mounting the regulator. Order new from Corvair vendor or from Chevrolet, GM part number 3876130. Quantity of three. The old ones will not be reusable.
  4. Regulator mounting screws. Three are required. You may be able to use the old screws. If not, order from Corvair vendor or Chevrolet, GM part number 3856129.
  5. Alternator/oil filter adapter housing. This is the part that the alternator bolts to.
  6. A gasket for the above housing. Order from Chevrolet vendor (GM part number 3849157 has been discontinued).
  7. The four terminal connector that plugs into the regulator. Although this connector can be purchased new, it is recommended that one be clipped from an existing junk car wiring harness. When you cut the wires, leave about 4 inches of wire on each lead with the connector. This will allow you to easily splice the wires when installing it in your early model.
  8. The two terminal connector that plugs into the alternator. Again cut the wires about 4 inches long with the connector. Note the little tab that has to be depressed for removal from the alternator. Make sure it's there, or you're guaranteed trouble later when it falls out of the alternator. These connectors are also available for most auto stores or parts houses.
  9. The single terminal log that bolts to the alternator. A new terminal is suggested, although the old one can be used. Cut the wire about 4 inches long.
  10. About 6 feet of 10gauge wire. Your choice of colors.

Make the following mechanical changes:

1. Disconnect the battery positive terminal.
  2. Disconnect the wires from the generator and regulator.
  3. Remove the generator and regulator.
  4. Remove the idler pulley, oil filter, fuel pump and oil pressure sending switch from the generator/oil filter adapter housing.
  5. Remove the generator/oil filter adapter housing.
  6. Clean the gasket surfaces and install the alternator/oil filter adapter housing, using the new gasket.
  7. Reinstall the items removed in step four.
  8. Mount the alternator. Note that the battery ground strap bolts to the cylinder head at the alternator brace.
  9. Drill new holes and mount the regulator using the shock mount nuts. Be sure the regulator is grounded.

Make the following wiring changes. Refer to the attached diagrams showing the way the generator was wired and the way the alternator is to be wired.
  1. The existing 20gauge dark blue wire (20 GA DBL) that formally went to the field connection of the generator should now be spliced to the dark blue wire on the two terminal connector that plugs into the alternator. This goes to the "F" terminal which is marked on the alternator if you look closely. It's the right-hand terminal looking at the back of the alternator.
  2. The existing 14gauge brown (14 GA BR) wire that formally went to the Armature terminal of the generator should now be spliced to the black/white wire on the two terminal connector that plugs into the alternator. This goes to the "R" terminal which is also marked on the alternator. If the left-hand terminal looking at the back of the alternator.
  3. Identify the wires that were removed from the "B" terminal of the old regulator. There should be two 10gauge red or black (10 GA R or B) wires. These wires are connected to the love that formally went to the "B" terminal of the old regulator. To this lug, spliced two additional wires. One will be the 20gauge red wire on terminal 3 of the four terminal connector that goes on the new regulator. The second wire will be due, using the 10gauge wire noted in the parts list. Splice one and of the 10gauge wire to the log previously mentioned. Route the wire along the harness path down to the alternator.
  4. Now there is only one remaining wire to be connected. The "other" Brown wire. Splice this to terminal 2 of the four-terminal connector on the regulator.
  5. Tape all splices. Reconnect the battery.
  6. Be sure all connectors are tight and secure before starting the engine. Never operate the alternator with an open circuit, or the voltage developed may burn out the light bulbs.
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

HEADLIGHT WIRING DIAGRAM DETAIL AND EXPLANATION

The diagram below illustrates the High and Low-Beam switch and wiring configuration in the Late-Model Corvair. The Early-Model Corvair configuration is very similar.

Late Model Headlights.jpg
In the illustration, the dimmer switch receives voltage from the main light switch via a 14 B/LBL wire. The dimmer switch has two outputs. In the LOW BEAM mode, the output is connected to a 18 T wire (BLUE CIRCUIT PATH) and passes through the multi-connector into the trunk, and then divides into separate wiring harness connections to the left and right outer sealed beam (4002) headlamps (55 Watt Low Beam Connector).

In the HIGH BEAM mode, the dimmer switch output is connected to trunk multi-connector (RED CIRCUIT PATH) via the 16 B/LG wire. A wire taps off of this wire at the multi-connector to power the instrument panel HIGH BEAM INDICATOR lamp. The circuit continues through the trunk multi-connector, where it splits to travel to the left and right headlamp assemblies. Each wire connects to the respective right or left 4002 sealed beam (Outer) High Beam (37-½ Watt) connector. The circuit path continues to the paired 4001 inner (37-½ Watt) high beam lamp, so that both paired lamps illuminate simultaneously in the high beam mode to produce a total of 75 watts output on each side.

(The third wire, labeled 20 B, is a GROUND connector that ties to the 4001 inner lamp connector, and then to CHASSIS GROUND to provide a ground path for both lamps on its respective side of the vehicle.)

Wiring Circuit Color Code.jpg
Brad Bodie
mart

Post by mart »

I have an orange wire that comes out of my new front to rear harness form clarks for my 66 monza PG. It comes out from the part that sits in the engine compartment, about 18" from the rearmost end of the harness and I cant remember where it goes...its been 5 years since I took the old one out. Its fairly heavy gauge and has a heavily insulated terminal, which makes me think it may be for the heater blower, but I am not sure....am I right?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I checked the 1965 Monza wiring schematic at the beginning of this thread and it does show a single wire that is a part of the harness you described that is 12 gauge Black/Orange and terminates at the heater blower, as you guessed. I don't have a 1966 supplement, so I'm not sure of the 1966 color code changes, but 12 GA Black/Orange (B/OR) in 1965 might have changed to solid Orange in 1966. It is also the only heavy 12 gauge wire that runs in that harness and terminates alone, without running through the 12-pin multiconnector in the engine compartment. That wire traces back to a 12-pin multiconnector in the car interior, which crosses over to a wire that ends at the heater resistor pack in the trunk and also to the fan speed switch in the instrument panel.
Heater Wire.jpg
Heator Resistor (4).JPG
Heator Resistor (4).JPG (25.17 KiB) Viewed 6286 times
Heater Fan Selector Switch Electrical
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=9252

If the battery is installed and everything is connected, turning the ignition key ON and the heater fan switch ON should produce voltage at the orange wire in question. Turning the heater fan switch OFF should eliminate the voltage.
Brad Bodie
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Brad - The 66 supplement shows a solid orange wire to the heater motor.

Note that my experience with the 65 and 66 cars suggests that the change over to "solid" color wires in 66 was a bit hit and miss. While the colors are always correct, for instance a black with green stripe instead of solid green, the change over was not a smooth one. I suspect what wire was left over was used up in the early 66 car harnesses. I have a 66 A/C car, yet the fuse box harness is mostly 65 wire colors!

Even odder is some wires that were solid in 65 were changed to a wire with a strip in 66!

Brad I think I found another error for the Monza cluster harness diagram. I have to dig out an old harness to confirm and will PM you later.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Brad - I could not attach .pdf in PM so I've attached it here. Marked up to show instrument cluster harness wiring errors.

Regards.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

The suggested corrections to 1965 Corvair Corsa Full Schematic and 1965 Corvair Monza Full Schematic have been posted (Rev. E).

:ty:
Brad Bodie
68MCS

Post by 68MCS »

Got some questions about the 'Monza and Corsa diagrams above, starting to investigate what is needed to sort out our wiring on our '65 Monza with Corsa accoutrements.

I see the Corsa has a separate wire for the engine temp sender that goes to the 12 pin connector in the engine bay (DG), the harness from the engine bay to behind the dash are shown to be identical in the schematics for the Monza and Corsa - is that the case? The wire looks to end up at a diode in the behind the dash harness, then on to a buzzer. Is this wiring and diode all there on the Monza, other than the buzzer not being present? I see another thread on this topic mention that only the Corsa/Turbo should have these wires installed from the factory. Not too worried about the diode/buzzer, thinking I can just use one wire to carry the signal beyween the dash to both senders.

On the same note the wires for the cylinder head temp sensor and tach appear to be built into the Monza harness from the engine bay to the behind the dash harness, does that sound right?

Si
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Some Corsa wires, like the cylinder head temperature gauge sending unit on the left side (driver's side) cylinder head ae routed outside the main wiring harness.

The diode in the harness is only there to prevent the buzzer from being powered when the oil light is on. If it were not there Corsa owners would hear the buzzer every time the key was turned to ON when the engine was not running, because the oil pressure switch would set off the buzzer. Engineers only wanted the buzzer to turn on when the engine overheated.

I have been around Corsas since 1965, and Corvairs since 1961. I have NEVER seen the right cylinder head temperature switch activate the warning light, and have never heard that buzzer in a Corsa or Spyder go off! It turns out to be somewhat useless. The engines generally never overheat as long as the fan belt is intact and turning the cooling fan.

Some in the Monza plug multi-connector behind the dash are simply left empty.

Corsa TEMP-PRES Schematic Details.jpg
Corsa Temperature Gauge Wiring.jpg

The Temp/Press warning light is connected to two sensor switches. No oil pressure or an overheat condition on the right cylinder head will cause the switch to connect electrically to ground, which will cause the instrument panel warning light to illuminate. (The two sensors are wired in series, or "daisy chained", so that a ground at either switch will cause he warning light to come on. Electrically they are wired in parallel). On most Corvairs the oil pressure sending unit is located to the right of the generator or alternator pulley — but on the very early 1960-1962 cars it may be found as pictured below, on the right side of the engine cases. The cylinder head temperature warning switch is always on the right cylinder head.

Turning the key to ON without starting the engine serves as a bulb test. As soon as the engine has started, the oil pressure will cause the warning light go out. If the TEMP/PRESS light has illuminated, it only tells you there is a fault — but not whether it is an oil pressure failure or an engine overheat condition.

If the fan belt is intact and the cooling fan is spinning, an engine overheat condition is unusual. This overheat condition can sometimes be caused if a small animal has crawled into the engine area and has built a "nest" on top of the cylinder barrel or cylinder head cooling fins, but under the sheet metal shroud where it would not be seen. Also, there is a short heater system air hose connected to the right-front side of the top sheet metal shroud. If this hose is torn or detached/missing it could allow cooling air to escape from the opening, before it is routed downward over the air-cooled engine cooling fins. This could possibly cause the right head to run hot, and could cause a warning light. Finally, the cylinder head warning switch could be defective, and could possibly trigger a false warning light even when the temperature is not excessively high.
Brad Bodie
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Great work! Thanks Brad!
Now for someone who wants to colorize...
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
68MCS

Post by 68MCS »

Thank you Brad, this helps a lot - looking forward to restoring all the gauges to working condition. One thing that is still not clear to me is if the Monza wiring harness has the diode in it?

Si
steve57

Post by steve57 »

From the 1969 supplement.
3FCC72C6-FA12-488D-A1EB-8B6D07297549.jpeg
Attachments
C3F1076C-80A2-485D-9B41-3B96A3704E27.jpeg
8164EB45-F8AD-4228-A7DA-CD88BD6A66C7.jpeg
80776585-B4D5-43F1-B1E2-97F6AE38AAEB.jpeg
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:chevy:
1969 Corvair Wiring Schematics

1967 Camaro Turn Signal Wiring (Used in 1967 and Later Corvairs).jpg
1967 Camaro Turn Signal Wiring
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The original 1969 diagram contains an error for the engine compartment wiring. It shows no power source for the rear side marker lights, or the right rear tail light. I corrected this by adding a splice (shown with an arrow) to connect these three lights to the same power source that was feeding the left-rear light. This wiring change is unconfirmed, as I do not have access to a 1969 Corvair to see how it is ACTUALLY WIRED.

1969 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram (CORRECTED)
1969 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram (CORRECTED)
Brad Bodie

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”