New Seat Covers for '64

Need to know how? Want to show how?
Swngaxl

New Seat Covers for '64

Post by Swngaxl »

I need new seat covers on my '64 Spyder. I have the covers and foam, bought new from Clark's. I called a local guy today, he said he'd be glad to, for around $200 per seat. That's a bit rich for me right now, any ideas on what is the going rate for that work? And how hard is it to do this job yourself and have it come out looking decent? I helped put the ones on that are now rotted, but that was somewhere around 1982. Been a while! Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
terribleted

Re: New Seat Covers for '64

Post by terribleted »

$200 /seat for a shop to do it sounds reasonable if they do a nice job.
I have done them myself it takes patience and plenty of time to get a very nice result. Lots of stretching and careful stuffing to eliminate wrinkles and form nice bolsters.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

That price is low for my area. Doing the job yourself is not really easy, but it can be done. Local hardware store can supply special clips and tools to do the job. As you take the seats apart, take some snapshots to you can refresh the memory when you reassemble.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

This video I found on You-Tube https://youtu.be/ZT9kwrQYeUQ was very helpful for the seat backs. That is the only thing covered, but he has several good tips that saved me a lot of grief.

'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”