LM Brake Drums...

Need to know how? Want to show how?
acarlson

LM Brake Drums...

Post by acarlson »

I just rebuilt the entire braking system in my '65 Corsa. I won't go into all of the issues I had. I needed to get new drums all around but not get them mail-order since the shipping would have cost more then the drums. I figured since I was getting the drums locally, I might as well get the shoes at the same parts store. I bought all the other brake parts from Clarks.

I ended up going to O'Reilly Auto Parts - only because someone on a forum recommend their brake shoes claiming the shoe lining was softer then other brands. I don't know if that is true but I figured "why not give'em a try".

If you go this route, here's some info.

The O'Reilly rear drums for the '65 Vair plus the new brake shoes were a pretty tight fit. I had O'Reilly turn the rear drums .03" to get them over the shoes. O'Reilly turned them for free so it was no big deal.

O'Reilly doesn't have front Vair drums so I bought '65 Chevelle REAR drums for the FRONT of my Corsa. This was a recomendation from 66VairGuy. The Chevelle drums fit perfectly and had ribs for extra cooling. The drums I took off the front had no ribbing.
drum.jpg
drum.jpg (72.64 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
Anyway, if you need new drums for your LM Vair, this might be something to consider.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
Jerry Whitt

Re: LM Brake Drums...

Post by Jerry Whitt »

I recently had the same situation. Napa had a listing but when I showed them the old ones, nothing matched. O'Reilly had listings that did not match for the front, but the rear are fine. After checking Autozone, one day with no luck, rechecked a few days later, they had a computer update that then showed proper front and rears. Took the old fronts in and they matched the AZ stock.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Special note:
The new drums from Oreillys and Autozone did not have the small slots used for adjusting the brakes. When each supplier was contacted, basic answer was "Oh!"

Using the old drums for location guide, marked the new drums, then drilled two holes on each drum an inch or so apart. Then used a drimell cutter to finish then up.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
aslondon

Post by aslondon »

Just checked NAPA site and the part number for the Chevelle rears and the Corvair fronts is the same.

Al
twtool1994

Post by twtool1994 »

Im looking to do a total 4 wheel brake job on my 63 Monza. Are the parts for the 65 Corsa the same as 63. Also My local Oreilly's had no part numbers for
1963 Corvair brake drums, front or rear. They also had a listing for 9" or 11" shoes and the guy said there was no specific info on which one fit my car. Now I know I can take my car apart and check all the dimensions I need but if I have to order parts it's hard to tell how long it may take for them to arrive.
I like to have parts on hand ahead of time so when I do a tear down I can do a re build at the same time. They also show 3 different bore sizes on the wheel cylinders 15/16, 1" and 1.25.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

65 and later drums will not fit 64 and earlier cars. They are set up for 5 bolt wheels and 64 and before cars are 4 bolt. The brakes on the early cars are 9". Front wheel cylinders for 60-64 cars can be 7/8" (most cars) or 1" if the car was ordered with metallic brakes. Rear wheel cylinders for early cars are 15/16".

You can order parts from a Corvair vendor. They actually know what a Corvair is and generally supply the correct parts and things like spring kits are not missing items as well as have the right pieces in them.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

When I did my brakes I did buy 2 "spring kits" from Clarks. It had all the correct springs, pins, retainers, etc that I needed for the job. I just bought the shoes and drums from a parts store since the shipping for those from Clarks would have been expensive...

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Yeah I have found local auto parts stores brake parts to be mediocre at best I have scored drums and shoes locally but I don't even try shoes any more locally after a couple issues I had.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The aftermarket brake shoes tend to have very HARD linings that results in high pedal pressure and poor stopping. I finally found a local place that relines shoes for the local car clubs with a softer lining and arc's the shoes to the drums. What a difference as my brakes work much better.
srt

Post by srt »

Arc grinding the linings is the only way to go. Softer may wear faster but beds in quicker & doesn't eat the drums or require excessive heat to work.

Riveted are in my opinion, best.

A thorough 'bedding in' of the new lining is another step that many don't perform.

That said, any members here have a source for riveted linings in the greater southern california area?
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

srt wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 pm Arc grinding the linings is the only way to go. Softer may wear faster but beds in quicker & doesn't eat the drums or require excessive heat to work.

Riveted are in my opinion, best.

A thorough 'bedding in' of the new lining is another step that many don't perform.

That said, any members here have a source for riveted linings in the greater southern california area?
One thing to note is the new shoes from the FLAPS are usually oversized. I can only speculate it's done assuming old drums are worn oversized.

As to riveted being best. I've found that the shoe material can only wear about half as much as bonded (glued) shoes and then the rivets score and can ruin the drums. Some have said bonded shoe linings can slip, but I've also seen riveted shoes crack and come apart. Basically either lining can have issues, but rivets can ruin a drum. I've had better luck with bonded, just me.

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”