EM Sedan Curtains or Tint?

Need to know how? Want to show how?
lostboy

EM Sedan Curtains or Tint?

Post by lostboy »

As many of you have probably experienced, the rear of the sedan is quite open and at night, its almost impossible to see the road from the lights projecting through the rear glass. I have wrapped a handkerchief around my rear mirror at night because I've been practically blinded. After mulling over the idea of a window tint, and talking to the guy I usually use, tint seems like a bad option. So now I'm on to curtains. I think that considering I don't have a headliner, and the interior trim in the car is all metal, I could easily rig up some curtains with magnets. Something opaque to let some light through. I just hate driving at night feeling like I have a constant spot light on me from the traffic in the rear. There is a current trend apparently where people go off the grid and live int heir cars. Thanks to these people it seems like a lot of things normally found in the home have been adapted to cars. Anyone have similar thoughts, or executed something like this?

-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Re: EM Sedan Curtains or Tint?

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

Well first you need to find out the legality of such a thing, because it may not be legal to drive around with your rear window obstructed where you live.

Second, have you thought about retrofitting a dimming mirror so it will reduce the amount of light glaring back at you through the rear window?

Also, what is your tint guys reasoning behind why tint is a bad idea? I think it would help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

I think that his major concern is how the rubber laYs around the rear window as opposed to how more modern cars are. The mirror is only a problem when I forget to cover it or tilt it up. It's mainly the bright lights behind me coming through and washing out the view through the front. Think about when you're driving with your interior lights on. It's like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

I mean I can see that. But there's several EM owners with tint. Hopefully maybe someone will chime in.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

SyntheticBlnkerFluid wrote:I mean I can see that. But there's several EM owners with tint. Hopefully maybe someone will chime in.

....and anyway, the police have better things to do. (or at least should) I have seem many vans with rear window curtains. If it can be illegal, its illegal in NJ I assure you, but it wont stop me from doing it.
-Steve
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

I mean do what you want, I'm not telling you not to.

Vans are technically a different class of vehicle and don't have the same requirements a car does, but if you think you can get away with curtains, by all means do it.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
toytron

Post by toytron »

Many laws concerning tinting of windows are concerned with which windows and how dark of a tint. Also in some not so densely populated parts of this country the police DO stop you for the tint AND they have a special meter for checking it. If you do tint one or more I would check not only with your state but with any state you plan on driving through. Manufacturers know what is allowed and will only tint to what the general law will allow. It does have to do with the safety of the police officers lives when they have to make a traffic stop (to tell you how awesome your corvair is)!

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I would go with tint personally. I had limo tint done on my 65. Loved it.

Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Scott Howey wrote:I would go with tint personally. I had limo tint done on my 65. Loved it.

The only thing I'm really nervous about is the rear window, it's a lot different than a coupe or a LM.

-Steve
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

toytron wrote:Many laws concerning tinting of windows are concerned with which windows and how dark of a tint. Also in some not so densely populated parts of this country the police DO stop you for the tint AND they have a special meter for checking it. If you do tint one or more I would check not only with your state but with any state you plan on driving through. Manufacturers know what is allowed and will only tint to what the general law will allow. It does have to do with the safety of the police officers lives when they have to make a traffic stop (to tell you how awesome your corvair is)!

Ed Stevenson
In NJ you can have any degree of tint you want on the rear half of the car. No windshield and no front side windows. I have tint in my truck in the front and have been pulled over for it. It's a 55$ ticket and since I don't often break the law (aside from the tint) I'll gladly pay for privacy.

-Steve

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”