Corvair Gas Heater to LP conversion.

Need to know how? Want to show how?
KiltedPhoenix

Re: Corvair Gas Heater to LP conversion.

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

I had to bypass the purge switch with a toggle switch on the dash. I stupidly left the wires on the body of the heater. You can guess what happened. All 3 wires elted and contacted, while powered, the body of the heater. I redid the wires again, away from the heater but now can not get it to fire. I'm getting just a small incomplete burn, the exhaust pipe that is in the trunk gets warm but I know it's not burning right as it makes no noise, there is some exhaust coming out the exhaust under the car. I find it too much of a coincidence that the nozzle would become clogged when this happened, I'm looking more at the comb air blower as it is now not running right which means the points are not opening/closing properly. Is there a minimum speed for it to turn for the points to work correctly for it I fire correctly?
toytron

Re: Corvair Gas Heater to LP conversion.

Post by toytron »

What kind of lp tank are you using? I hope it is not a grill type because they are not rated for mobile use only for transporting between refills. One from a motorhome might be the way to go as long as the overpressure pop-off valve is vented outside the vehicle.
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”