DIY REQUESTS?

Need to know how? Want to show how?
Scott H
Site Admin

DIY REQUESTS?

Post by Scott H »

Post your requests here if you can't find the "how to " for a specific job you are trying to do.
(please search first to make sure it isn't already here) :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
b74eqcm

Early model lower ball joint replacement

Post by b74eqcm »

Tomorrow, I will (I hope) replace the drivers side lower ball joint on my 63 Monza. It's been decades since I've done one in a Vair. I have my ball joint press kit. I was just trying to remember how much disassembly I have to do before I can get at and press out the old ball joint. Would someone list out the steps for me please?

Thanks!
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
larry202br

Re: DIY REQUESTS?

Post by larry202br »

How about a step by step with pictures showing correct location, to add a drain plug to the differential and transmission.
D&Hspringer

Post by D&Hspringer »

we are do a complete restore on the interior of our "62 spyder convertible. We have all new vinyl from Clark's. We have the back seat done and the seat bottoms for the bucket, but we need some help on the seat back for the bucket seats. Any pictures or how to videos would be of great help
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

D&Hspringer wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:21 am by D&Hspringer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:21 am

we are do a complete restore on the interior of our "62 spyder convertible. We have all new vinyl from Clark's. We have the back seat done and the seat bottoms for the bucket, but we need some help on the seat back for the bucket seats. Any pictures or how to videos would be of great help
There is an excellent 45 min. video on You-Tube covering ONLY the seat back upholstery. It is for a 65 GTO, but the seats are identical in construction to EM Corvairs. This fellow has some essential tips for installation

[share_youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT9kwrQYeUQ[/share_youtube]
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

Corrected YouTube video share URL...

:link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT9kwrQYeUQ
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
mountainbrown

Post by mountainbrown »

Hi Scott,
My name is Matt. I'm new on here and I own a 1964 Monza. The driver's side window came off it's track and I've never attempted to take the door apart before and I can't seem to find any videos demonstrating the process. I don't want to take the chance of tearing or damaging the door panel so I was hoping that someone on the forum might be able to help me out with this. I appreciate your time and I'm enjoying reading through the various posts on the forum.
Thanks, Matt
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :wave: Welcome, Matt, to the Corvair Forum!

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair. Your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities helps a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you, your Corvair, and you plans for your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Knowing where you live might suggest some possibilities or problem solutions.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

The attached documents are a section of the 1966 Fisher Body Service Manual that covers door assemblies in GM vehicles. Although specifically published in 1966, GM Fisher Body construction did not change all that much within a series of close model group years or between various GM car models. When something is unique to Corvairs, it is mentioned separately in the publication. I believe that this will help guide you when working on your 1964.

:chevy:
Attachments
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 1 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 1 of 4
(6.71 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 2 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 2 of 4
(9.83 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 3 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 3 of 4
(6.52 MiB) Downloaded 29 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 4 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 4 of 4
(9.68 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
mountainbrown

Post by mountainbrown »

I really appreciate you sending these over. My name is Matt Brown...I live in Littleton Colorado and I've owned Emily (my Corvair) for two years now. I found her in a barn outside of Brighton Colorado when I was there for an estate sale looking at old signs. She was in great shape. The previous owner had reupholstered the seats and replaced the carpets but everything else was original including all the chrome, engine parts and glass it had been sitting in the barn for over 15 years because the owner (who passed away) had become too large to fit behind the wheel. He had bought it for his daughter back in the 60's to drive for high school and took it back from her after that. It had always been garaged prior to going into storage in the barn. The tires were completely rotted out and the tire shop said they were from the late 60's to early 70's. She had about 100k on her so I assume they were more likely from the 70's at the very least. She fired right up with a battery charge and a change of gas so after replacing the tires I drove her home. I haven't had to do much to her. I've tuned the carbs because she was stalling out from idling too low. I've changed the oil, plugs/cables and distributor cap. I've cleaned out 50 years of grease and gunk build up in the engine compartment. Removed the fuel lines to make sure they were clean and I had an auto body shop strip it down and clean up some hail dents and repaint her. When she came back from the shop the first time I rolled down the driver's side window it went off track and the dome light cover was missing. They swore they never took the door apart or did anything to cause it to come off the track and I don't want to pay someone to do it if I can do it myself. All the bushings and grommets are dry rotted and that will need to be addressed but unfortunately I'm going to have to sell her. My wife just had a brain tumor removed and I need the money to help pay off medical bills so once I take care of the window I'm going to have to list her. It breaks my heart but it's what I have to do. Further down the line I'm sure I'll pick another one up. Probably not one in such beautiful shape but I know I'll enjoy restoring it. So that's my story. I'll post some picture of her. She's white with red interior. Thanks again for the links. I haven't had time to look at them. My wife is still recovering from her surgery so it's been hectic but I need to work on the door this week. My biggest fear is I will damage the door panel trying to get it off.
pvholgado

Post by pvholgado »

Any tips on installing the long (front to back) brake line on a LM coupe? I'd like to do it in one piece but could see that it would be easier if I used a union and did it in 2 pieces- Someone has to have run into this issue before...
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I install Clark's pre-bent line when I do this. It is easier if the rear suspension is out but the line can be moved into place. Heater duct should be removed as well as front carpet, air distributor and kick panel tunnel cover. a little bending and re-bending is needed even with a pre-bent line. If you are making your own model it after the original and use all the factory hold downs and routing if possible. Keeps it neat and tucked out of the way. There is no big reason not to put a double flare union in the tunnel but it is another place the system could leak. be particularly careful where it comes up the kick panel and over to the distribution block under the dash. You do not want anything moving sawing on it like e-brake cable, Clutch cable etc.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Deadwolf

Post by Deadwolf »

Directions and options for mounting an MSD 6AL box on a spyder (turbocharged) application.

I’m thinking I would need to get an MSD distributor, but most of them say dose not work for turbo cars.
1963 Impala SS convertible project
1963 Monza Spyder project
1963 Impala coupe Pro Street Project
1964 Monza Parts car
1963 Impala hard top sedan parts car
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Deadwolf wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:05 am Directions and options for mounting an MSD 6AL box on a spyder (turbocharged) application.

I’m thinking I would need to get an MSD distributor, but most of them say dose not work for turbo cars.
Turbo motor originally had a distributor with NO vacuum advance (used to improve mileage at lower power cruise). Instead they used a pressure cylinder to RETARD the timing when the boost came on to prevent destructive detonation.

Today the best approach is a computerized electronic ignition with fuel injections, but that is expensive,

It is possible to use a non-stock distributor for a turbo motor if it is modified. Seth Emerson at Performance Corvair has done a few. Contact him https://www.perfvair.com/ Seth has posted some good information at the CCF.

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”