Electric Corvair

Need to know how? Want to show how?
DeadHorse

Electric Corvair

Unread post by DeadHorse » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 am

I am interested to know if anyone has ever thought about or completed an electric conversion for a Corvair? Seems to me that they would be a great conversion host.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

chris

Re: Electric Corvair

Unread post by chris » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 pm

If you look on Google, there have been a few, even Chevrolet itself. A group here in KC called MindDrive is actually doing one. A couple students from Nebraska also converted one last year.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Unread post by bbodie52 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:29 pm

There was an attempt to produce an electric Corvair that seemed to be doing well in development and in an initial offering. But the practicality of a Corvair that was VERY expensive (initial build cost plus an expensive battery pack), no practical passenger compartment heating system, and very limited travel distances with very significant delays for each recharge seemed to kill all interest. To me the commercial hybrid approach seems to be the most-practical, permitting a small gasoline or other fossil fuel engine to combine forces with motors and batteries to extend range and fuel mileage. The current available technology to permit an all-electric car has very limited usefulness.

Recharging systems source power voltages can be increased to 220 VAC or even 440 VAC (the latter not available in home residences) to shorten recharge times. But can you imagine the daily evening load on the nationwide power grid if everyone had to plug in one or two electric cars every evening when the got home from work??? Think about the high loads placed on local cities during a heat wave when everyone turns on their home air conditioning system! The load placed on the grid throughout the year if everyone switched from gasoline to electric cars would be a disaster!!

:link: http://highvoltagehotrods.com/electrova ... rovairiii/

Facebook :link: https://www.facebook.com/HighVoltageHotrods/

Electrovair III - High Voltage Hot Rods
:link: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5067&p=34010#p34010
HighVoltageHotRods wrote:Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:51 am
Corvair of the Month February 2013

Electrovair III by High Voltage Hot Rods

1966 Corvair Monza Convertable
8" AC Motor
21kwh Lithium Ion Phosphate Battery Pack
Owner: Larry Mills
Created by High Voltage Hot Rods.
Designer: Andrew McClary

Below are some images that I saved from this project back in 2012. More on their Facebook page, but the project seems to have died.
Attachments
Aluminum Machine Cutting ShopBot (2).jpg
Aluminum Machine Cutting ShopBot.jpg
Battery boxes have been fabricated and the mount for the speed controller. We will be starting the wiring soon..jpg
Brant hard at work removing the old gas engine..jpg
ElectroVair - In Progress 1.jpg
ElectroVair - In Progress 2.jpg
ElectroVair - In Progress 3.jpg
ElectroVair - In Progress 4.jpg
ElectroVair - In Progress 5.jpg
ElectroVair - In Progress 6.jpg
ElectroVair - In Progress 7.jpg
ElectroVair - In Progress 8.jpg
ElectroVair - In Progress 9.jpg
ElectroVair Adaptor Plate to Mate Electric Motor to the Corvair Torque Convertor (MDF Mockup).jpg
ElectroVair Adaptor Plate to Mate Electric Motor to the Corvair Torque Convertor.jpg
Electrovair II (1).jpg
Electrovair II (2).jpg
Electrovair III.jpg
ElectroVair in Development.jpg
Electrovair Power Train (1).jpg
Electrovair Power Train (2).jpg
Electrovair Power Train Installed - Awaiting Rear Motor Mount.jpg
Electrovair Power Train Installed (2).JPG
Electrovair Power Train Installed.jpg
ElectroVair Technician at Daytona Beach Raceway.jpg
ElectroVair Think Tank.jpg
ElectroVair Trunk Modifications to Accept Battery Box.jpg
Electrovir Power Cell Example.jpg
Finished logo cut in aluminum.jpg
High Voltage Hot Rods iPhone Case.jpg
Shipment of 180ah Cells for ElectroVair III.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

gregpenn

Unread post by gregpenn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:52 am

Nice & interesting photos.

66vairguy

Unread post by 66vairguy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 am

There is a place in San Diego, CA that converts old VW bugs to electric. They've been successful. http://www.zelectricmotors.com/our-story/

This topic came up on the Corvair Center forum last year and it was very clear that the "old" folks didn't like the "electric" cars. The younger crowd was enthusiastic because they liked the old car "look", but didn't want to deal with unknown drivetrain problems and not surprisingly more than one person said "I like old cars, but when they run they STINK". Yes old cars produce a lot of fumes that are not emitted by newer cars with all the emissions controls.

The other deterrent for the young crowd is the cost of rebuilding a Corvair power train for those with no mechanical skills- Engine $4,000 - $5,000, trans and dif $400 - $1,500. Of course finding a good Corvair mechanic is a challenge in many parts of the country.

Like it or not - electric conversions may keep Corvairs (and other old cars) on the road in the future for fair weather fun cruising.

Jerry Whitt

Unread post by Jerry Whitt » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Last year (2016) there was an electric Rampside at the Fan Belt Toss in Palm Springs. Looked really good and seemed to drive pretty well.

Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible

66vairguy

Unread post by 66vairguy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:08 pm

If that's the Rampside I'm familiar with, the fellow drives it to work on a regular basis. He's had it electrified for many years and a year or so ago upgraded to newer (and smaller) batteries.

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”