Magnetized rods and caps

toytron

Magnetized rods and caps

Post by toytron »

In all the times that I have worked on engines I have never seen one like this. Today as I was disassembling a 110, one of the connecting rods and caps was extremely magnetized. I mean it was really strong. Has anyone else experienced this?

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
terribleted

Re: Magnetized rods and caps

Post by terribleted »

I have not experienced this but last week at a steak house my table knife was heavily magnetized. Could pickup other utensils with it. Only the one knife out of the 6 pieces of flatware at our table was this way. I wonder what this knife sat next to or where it was subjected to a strong magnetic field. Are you sure these engine parts were not stored in close proximity to a strong magnet or magnetic field? From my experience I learned that the Longhorn near me uses flatware with a high steel content:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

People use those magnetic trays from Home Depot or Harbor freight to hold parts when rebuilding stuff, some items should never be placed in those trays as the item will become magnetized, PG Metal Valve body valves for one is a No No to put in those trays, you do not want a PG valve being magnetized as it will stick in the valve body and not work properly.
toytron

Post by toytron »

Yeah from the look of this motor it has been outside for some time. I was actually surprised how good it looked inside. I am certain it was rebuilt at one time though. The typical signs; numbered rods and caps, Dave's favourite blue gasket compound, most of the push rods in backward etc. But surprisingly no metal chips or flakes on the magnetized parts.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

Return to “Site Specific Topics”