Phoenix Metro Area Corvair Owners

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Phoenix Metro Area Corvair Owners

Post by azdave »

Hello to all metro Phoenix area Corvair fanatics!

I asked the site owner to set up this section for anyone in Arizona who is into Corvair's and wants to stay in touch or just to chat about anything Corvair related in the Phoenix metro area.

Many people belong to the Cactus Corvair Club (I do) that meets in Chandler each month but there is no requirement that you join any club to post here and look for something to do with your fellow enthusiasts. I am hopeful this area will serve as a common point to post what you might be doing over an upcoming weekend or use it as a place to look for a hand pulling a motor or bringing home your next project.

Be sure to check the box below, "Notify me when a reply is posted", so that you will know via email when new activity occurs here.

I'm always trying to find other Corvair owners to join me as I travel around the "Valley of the Sun" to visit various cruise nights or shows almost every weekend. I often go the the Scottsdale Pavilions where there are hundereds of cars and usually I'm the only Corvair in sight. Sure would be nice to get a few of us together at other cruises. Remember, your Corvair doesn't have to be a show car to cruise around and have fun. Most of us drive "work in progress" category vehicles so don't let that keep you from joining in the fun.

I'll be inviting anyone with a Corvair affection (affliction?) to visit this section and the entire corvairforum.com site to continue building this community. I'm having some cards printed up to keep in my glovebox so if I spy a Corvair in town I can leave a calling card to invite them to find our forum or at least know where to look for help if they need it.

So, if you are looking for local help or something to do at the last minute, check here first or post a new thread and let us know your plans if you want some company.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
65Ragtop

Re: Phoenix Metro Area Corvair Owners

Post by 65Ragtop »

Hello Dave. I guess it's a matter of time before we cross paths. My Corsa is up on jack stands right now as it had been sitting in a carport under a tarp since 1983. I am in the process (as time allows) of replacing all bushings, bearings, and the entire brake system. Basically anything rubber as well as it is mostly dry rot. The engine runs but needs a serious sealing up to be road worthy.

Anyway, I take my 2 boys up to the Pavillions every now and then to show them the Hot Rods. Let me know the next time you plan on going up and I will see if I can make it. I would like to see your car and talk to you about the area Corvair scene. Later.
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

65Ragtop wrote: Let me know the next time you plan on going up and I will see if I can make it. I would like to see your car and talk to you about the area Corvair scene. Later.
Will do. That is the main reason I asked for Scott to start this section so central AZ Vair owners like us can post last minute gatherings or activities. It's sort of a local message board within the main forums and I'm sure it will take a few months to catch on.

I was at the PAVs last Saturday with my convertible from 6:30-9:30 and I was the only Corvair in sight. I brought home my other Toro V8 yesterday and have begun evaluating what I like about it and what will be changed. With both V8s home I can compare directly back an forth between how the two engines were mounted. I'll probably start a project thread for that in the V8 section later this week. Found a broken front coil spring too. The fun begins!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

65Ragtop wrote:Hello Dave. I guess it's a matter of time before we cross paths...
Hi Mike,

Good to meet you and the boys Friday night. Sorry I was on the way home and couldn't talk long but 4:30 comes pretty early in the morning so I had to head out early.
I usually drive the "nice" Vair to that meet (66 Vert) but I happened to have the Toro V8 that night.

Hopefully we can get a few others together at a more meets over the winter season. I know there is a big Corvair only gathering coming up soon at Thorobred Chevrolet coming up on Saturday Oct 2nd. It was a really well attended show last year for the 50th. Cactus Corvair Club is organizing the event but you don't have to be a member to come by and show your car. It is open to any Corvair vehicle.

http://www.cactuscorvairclub.com/events.html
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

Hi Dave. Good to meet you as well. Thanks for turning me on to the Hot Wheels Racing scene. My boys had a great time! I will most likely be at the October 2nd event over at the Chevy dealer. I will be a walk in as I doubt my car will be road worthy yet. Looking forward to it. Later.
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I'll be out at the Superstition Springs show tonight around 7. K-Mart near US60 & Power Rd.
Bringing the Monza tonight.

Catch you around.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

Hey guys,
My dad and I are working on our Corvairs also, but they are not ready for the road.(waiting on parts) Soon as we get them going we would love to join you on events. We will come see you at the car show when me and my dad can sked. time. I have your number and give you heads up.
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
Corvair Society Of America Member "Corsa"
V-8 Registry Member
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

Forgot to check "Notify"
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
Corvair Society Of America Member "Corsa"
V-8 Registry Member
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

I had a good time talking to both of you at the Cactus Corvair Car show over at the Chevy dealer. See you again soon.
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
jftl

Post by jftl »

Hey all,

Resurrecting a pretty old thread I know, but I just wanted to put out there that I'm in AZ in the far east valley (Mesa). The Superstition Springs park and walk at the Kmart is very close to my house, so I could swing "Joe'd" over to show what 46 years of the AZ sun do to car parts =).

-Kevin
1965 Covair Corsa w/ 4 barrel conversion intake, Holley 390 CFM, and custom cherry bomb exhaust. "Joe'd"!
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

jftl wrote:Hey all,

Resurrecting a pretty old thread I know, but I just wanted to put out there that I'm in AZ in the far east valley (Mesa). The Superstition Springs park and walk at the Kmart is very close to my house, so I could swing "Joe'd" over to show what 46 years of the AZ sun do to car parts =).

-Kevin
I just finished installing new rear wheel bearings and seals in the 66 Corsa. If you are going to be there I might come out but I'm not parking where the show cars hang out. This Corsa is solid but not pretty. I'm about 7 miles west of that meet.

Most of the Corvair club went to Tucson today for an All Chevy meet with the Tucson club but I couldn't risk driving that far until I fixed the wheel bearings.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
jftl

Post by jftl »

Hi Dave,

I'm in the same boat as we are still just trying to get Joe'd reliably driveable. I likely wouldn't be able to make it at a descent time tonight as I'm going out to my dad's to work on some of his scooters after I get out of work (4pm). Mainly just wanted to put it out there that I am out here, and looking forward to getting involved in the Vair community here in AZ.

Thanks!
Kevin
1965 Covair Corsa w/ 4 barrel conversion intake, Holley 390 CFM, and custom cherry bomb exhaust. "Joe'd"!
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

Look forward to meeting you one of these days. My corvair is on jack stands right now as a work in progress. Should be at least driveable in a few months. I am in the East Valley too. See you soon. :cool:
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
jftl

Post by jftl »

Do you guys know of a good, corvair friendly, welder/body man in our area? Joe'd has a rust hole on the driver's rear quarter that we have a Clark's patch panel for, but we aren't welders.

Thanks!
-Kevin
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

jftl wrote:Do you guys know of a good, corvair friendly, welder/body man in our area? Joe'd has a rust hole on the driver's rear quarter that we have a Clark's patch panel for, but we aren't welders.

Thanks!
-Kevin
No idea but I always figured I could go to Space Age Paints in Mesa where I buy some of my own restoration supplies (POR-15, sanding supplies, fasteners, etc.). I would ask them for a recommendation or check their bulletin board (where people leave business cards for such work).
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
jftl

Post by jftl »

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the double tip! It's double because now I know a source for the por15 that I will be needing soon. :fro:

-Kevin

Return to “Corvairs in Central Arizona”