my dad

Serving the Canadian provinces of Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick.
Iceland, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Caribbean Islands, and the continents of Greenland, Europe, and Africa.
Forum rules
Serving the Canadian provinces of Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick.
Iceland, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Caribbean Islands, and the continents of Greenland, Europe, and Africa.
garydup
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

my dad

Post by garydup »

hi corvair people,i thankyou all who were involved with my dad especially with the corvair of the month,sadly he passed away thismorning at 4.30 peacfuly after a short battel with cancer and total kidney failer,he was very sick earlier on when the event took place but still thanked everyone for there efforts.in my opinion one of the corvair icons,he knew these cars from one end to the other and always had a great respect for them,make the corvair engine work hard ,that is when it is at its best he would say,rest in peace my papa.

thanks gary
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: my dad

Post by bbodie52 »

Gary,

You said your dad had great respect for Corvairs, and I hope it was obvious to you both that members of the Corvair Forum had tremendous respect for him too! Your dad's car and the pictures and story you told were impressive from the very first. I'm very sorry to hear of his passing. My own father passed away at age 85 in 2009, so I know something of how it feels. The passage of time seems to help a little.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

I feel your pain...my Dad went 20 months ago.

He was the smartest person I ever knew.

My Father also suffered at the end.

Your Pops is in a better place
Attachments
dadv8.jpg
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
myhotrod

Post by myhotrod »

My Dad passed away 7 years ago. Also from kidney failure from 15 years of fighting 4 different cancers. My Dad allowed me as a very young teen to hang fuzzy dice on the mirror of our 58 Olds 88, put the fuzzy around the mirror, put three bar spinners drilled and mounted on the Olds hubcaps. To this day, they would still look totally 50's. I made a car club lisc. plate in shop class that he allowed me to stick in the rear window. He helped me change the 3 speed overdrive in my first car, 1952 Plymouth , after I tore it up drag racing on the street. He also told me the next one he would NOT help me with ! And he stood by his word for the next 2 times! He went to teen court early one morning missing 3 hours of work when I got a ticket for a loud pipe after he told me three days earlier that I was dumb for taking a good muffler off and replacing with a old empty shell. Dad could rebuild any thing from a tractor to an automobile. I miss the daily phone calls after he retired to the farm.My only brother passed away 4 years ago also from cancer. He was 5 years younger than me. He road raced his Mustang . He sold me a 23 T bucket in many boxes more like a model car kit ! I finished in time for for my brother to ride and drive . Miss them both . Thanks for reading.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your father, Gary. I hope you and your family are dealing with it somewhat. I'm sure you'll be missing him and wondering how you'll go on, but just remember.....he's smiling down on you and peaceful.

I lost my father back in 2000 from mesothelioma cancer at only age 64. He was amazing, funny as hell, a hard worker and a hardnose....but he was fair and understanding too. My best memories were of him taking me flying. Soooo awesome as a kid/gearhead. Here's one of the planes he used to take me up in........(maybe that's why I love corvairs, that aircraft-inspired air-cooled flat sixes!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQf2VdKsc7o
sam60

Post by sam60 »

Gary, I'm very sorry to learn of your loss. I followed you and your Dad through the Corvair of the month posts.

My family went on a road trip to surprise my Dad on his 70th B'Day (pic) in June of '07. 10 days later I got a call that he had seizures and was disoriented and in the hospital. We went back to PHX and he was still unconcious in ICU. He was diagnosed with a serious brain cancer already at stage 4, which I will call GBMF. He taught me about working on anything that breaks and I never needed to call a mechanic, a/c tech, plumber and such. I miss the heck out of him but time does heal, Gary. Hang in there.
Z Boys.jpeg
140-4 carb w/transaxle - Traded for a guitar

69 Wayne 100 - Blue Water hull - sitting out back
garydup
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by garydup »

thankyou everyone for your kind words and comforts,you dont quite understand how it is until it happens to you.i would like to shear that he used to visit me every sunday morning at 10.o"clock for tea and we would talk corvairs,family,and stories from the past,i would hear the corvair at least 200mtrs away and send my boy to open the gates and he would say how do you know papas comming,id say i just know that sound.i think im going to miss this the most,i was lucky to have this quality time with him.

thanks again all corvair people i think we are a special breed?

Return to “Eastern Division (International)”