LM front body parts

Having trouble finding that special part you need? Post a wanted ad.
Forum rules
All Classified posts will be automatically deleted approximately 90 days after posting.
scooperman

LM front body parts

Unread post by scooperman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:44 pm

So my timetable for actually fixing the car has moved up. 66 2dr 110 PG.

Got hit in the right front last week. Headlight smashed back in to the trunk. Hood rippled, Right front fender rippled. Hood buckled. Bumper OK but not perfect. Totally his fault.
Today his insurance called and told me to go ahead and get repair estimates. I am asking around to find a paint/body shop that actually knows something about old cars. This isn't a scratch and dent that you take to Maaco, this is going to a shop where they know how to cut and weld, maybe a hot rod shop is what I need. I want to get a good estimate for the damage he caused, but after I get a check from his insurance company then I am going to have the whole car done. In the meantime, I am trying to line up sources of front end body panels, I know I will need some. Neither fender was perfect, I would replace rather than fix both of them. I have done some Ebay and CL searching, but have not started calling the usual vendors. Keep me in mind if you have or can recommend a source for right front LM body panels. TIA.

terribleted

Re: LM front body parts

Unread post by terribleted » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Looks like it may well be repairable without panels (except perhaps front panel because of the lower rust). It will need to be pulled on a frame machine anyway as there is distortion in the right fender that will need to be pulled forward. A good technician (from what I can see) should be able to pull out and straighten most if not all that I can see. Welding in new panels on these cars is very involved with many hidden welds and parts that can not be separated nicely to really nicely use used parts. New NOS fenders include no weatherstrip flange and salvaging old ones is vary hard. new front panel if you could find one would perhaps be a good thing to use but I would be at least trying hard to repair the structure and existing fenders and perhaps hood and front panel as well (but front panel not bad to do full install, lower 1/2 only is also very doable).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

scooperman

Unread post by scooperman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:04 pm

So the first step was to ask around for good body shops, then find the ones that are actually open Christmas week, lots of places taking this week off. I got recommendations, two of those were open today so I drove in my truck just to talk with them and see their shops. One was 30 miles from home, the other was 50. Both look good, I could get good work from either place. Tomorrow I will drive the Corvair and get my estimates. After they get a look at the car I can cobble the headlight back in place good enough to drive it around when I need to do that, but just in case the insurance company complains I will take a bunch of photos before I do any work.

Terribleted, I agree with your assessment. I put S-10 discs on it with dropped S-10 spindles and the big Speedway calipers, but I had to errrrr convince the front fenders that they should make room for the 235/50-15s that I have on there. Just another reason why I would prefer to save the existing fender if I could. Whoever previously painted this car painted over the rain drains, water collected inside and the lower front of the front fenders rusted. I have the patch panels. I see the signs of rust on the front valence but have not found any suitable replacement, so I had not started any repair on the front yet. I don't see how to derust the inside of that front panel or repair it in place.

terribleted

Unread post by terribleted » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:08 pm

The lower front panel rust is best attacked with an NOS front body panel (full or partial install), or a good solid used front panel or section, and last choice a fabricated metal patch repair. Any of these done well will make a good repair, but, when there is significant rust like your front panel it usually extends way beyond what is visible which is why a nice new or used panel is ideal so you could easily replace all the way across which is likely what it needs or nearly needs.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

scooperman

Unread post by scooperman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Currently having so much fun talking to his insurance company. My insurance company told me that because the car was so old, it would be smart to get estimates from at least two shops, I did that, and the shops sent the estimates to his insurance, State Farm. One of the shops told me that because it was an old car, they didn't take photos because his insurance company was going to be sending one of their adjusters to look at the car. I let a few days go by and then on Monday I called State Farm, the person on the phone told me they were waiting for photos. When I asked why, they said that because of the age of the car, they would not be sending out one of their adjusters...exactly the opposite of what the shop said. OK, fine, what can I do to help? Well, State Farm apparently was confused because they received estimates from two body shops. They told me I had to pick one (?) and get that shop to send photos, and then wait 48 hours. OK, fine. I picked the shop closest to me and called them, they had not taken photos because...yeah, see above. Say, could I take photos and send them? So I fired up the old camera and took fortyleven pictures, sent them to the body shop, they revised the estimate and sent it to State Farm. OK, everything should be fine now, wait 48 hours. Today I called and ... they have not received any photos. So I was polite, no yelling or bad words, asked really simple questions, eventually we figured out that State Farm had sent the wrong send-to email address to the body shop. So we had done everything they told us to do, but it went to the wrong State Farm address. State Farm promised to call the shop and get it all straightened out.
Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, I did find a front trim piece, the crossbar trim that surrounds the trunk lock, and got that from Craigslist. The seller had two of them and not knowing which to get, I bought both of them. One is like mine, the other is skinnier and shorter, both are in good shape.
Last edited by scooperman on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apittslife

Unread post by Apittslife » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:09 pm

That blows, but hopefully they come thru for you. I did a repair on an Austin/Healey 100, a few years back, where the driver of a 4x4 truck forgot there was a small car in front of him & he drove up onto the rear of the car. His Insurance company ended up being really good about the cost of the repairs to the car.

66vairguy

Unread post by 66vairguy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:18 pm

It would help if you posted your location.

I would not bother to get the hood repaired. Cheaper and better results if you find a straight used hood and have it refinished. Keep in mind the 66 moved the Corvair script from the hood to the front panel. So best to look for a 66 or later hood.

I would look for sheet metal from the Southwest. Calif. Corvair, Corvair Corral in Ariz., Davemotohead in the high desert in Calif.

shump

Unread post by shump » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:35 am

I have a new header panel and a very nice hood-cheap

shump

Unread post by shump » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:37 am

HELLO? DID U GET MY MESSAGE?

corvairnorm

Unread post by corvairnorm » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:07 am

I have a front valence panel, but I don't know if shipping would be feasible from Florida. I'm not sure where you are located.
Norm Wright
Central Florida Corvair
Southeast Corvair Council
Corsa

63 Monza Convert
64 Spyder Convert
66 Corsa coupe-air conditioned
62 Rampside

scooperman

Unread post by scooperman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:58 pm

I am at the northern end of Palm Beach County, FL.
Today they finally sent an appraiser to look at the car. Not as old as my car, but he was a car guy, knew a lot about 80s and newer cars. He also knew the body shops that had already given me their estimates, and knew they were straight shooters, so he didn't argue too much with their numbers. So hoping to get a check soon and get moving on repair. Nothing with this insurance company has ever happened without me calling them every two days, so I am going to wait a few days more and then call them for a confirmation.

OK, thank you for those responses, I am going to send you guys some PMs now.

John

scooperman

Unread post by scooperman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:01 pm

The insurance company sent the check to the wrong address.
Finally got to me.
Went to bank.
Sorry sir, this check can not be deposited in your account.
Why not?
It is not made out to you.

Yep, they spelled my name wrong.

OK, thanks.

Hello, State Farm. My bank will not accept the check, you spelled my name wrong.
I am sorry sir, but that is how your name appears in our system...
Yeah, well, your system is wrong, I do know how to spell my name...
(some time later) Alright sir, we have stopped payment on that check and will issue another with the new spelling you have provided. Will there be anything else?
Yes, actually. The address you have for me is not correct.
I am sorry sir, but that is the address we have for you in our system...

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Unread post by bbodie52 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:59 pm

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
:helpsos: :angry: :banghead:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

terribleted

Unread post by terribleted » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:12 am

You are lucky they are paying to fix your car. (unless you have a stated value policy) Around here the first thing they would say is that your car is totaled and we will pay you a fair market value of around $2,000 take it or leave it.

scooperman

Unread post by scooperman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:50 pm

oh yeah, I heard about how they might do that. That is one more reason for being very polite when on the phone with the people who can push the buttons. I am OK with the amount they are paying, its about $500 less than the estimates I got but I am not arguing. I just want to get going. Weather is nice right now, would like to be driving.

Return to “Parts Wanted”