Crank shaft pulley 1961 monza

Having trouble finding that special part you need? Post a wanted ad.
Forum rules
All Classified posts will be automatically deleted approximately 90 days after posting.
Pinkfloyd4me2

Crank shaft pulley 1961 monza

Unread post by Pinkfloyd4me2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:43 am

In need of a crankshaft pulley 1961 monza

Sent from my LG-H871 using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Crank shaft pulley 1961 monza

Unread post by bbodie52 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 am

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

You might also check with the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania to price a used part...

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: 717-624-2805
fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine
​Email: corvairranch@embarqmail.com
Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12
or contact us for an appointment.

SEE ITEM 43...

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... age=USED-3
Part number CU110: USED RIVETED METAL CRANK PULLEY

Weight: 2 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): U,3(43)
Price: $ 10.00

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to invite you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, etc. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your geographic location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

corvairnorm

Unread post by corvairnorm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:49 am

I have a riveted pulley. $10 plus shipping.
Norm Wright
Central Florida Corvair
Southeast Corvair Council
Corsa

63 Monza Convert
64 Spyder Convert
66 Corsa coupe-air conditioned

Pinkfloyd4me2

Unread post by Pinkfloyd4me2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 pm

I have a 1961.. And it has a riveted pulley ...The rivets are loose and it makes a clanking noise.. Its a Texas car btw.. Thanks

Pinkfloyd4me2

Unread post by Pinkfloyd4me2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 pm

1961 monza 900

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Unread post by bbodie52 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:23 pm

:think: I cannot see any reason why you could not substitute a solid cast pulley for the original riveted pulley. All of the critical dimensions are the same, but the cast pulley should not be subject to the physical decay that you discovered with your riveted pulley. The solid cast pulley was introduced in the 2004 model year and was used on all 95 hp Corvair engines. It might be a little bit harder to find, since it was only installed on the low horsepower engines from 1964 and later, where the riveted pulley was found in all Corvair engines from 1960 to 1963. The rarity of the cast pulley may affect its cost. You might want to call the Corvair Ranch to get a price.

Here are the prices for the used pulleys from Clark's Corvair Parts…
Part number CU80: USED SOLID CAST PULLEY-ALL YEARS

Weight: 6 lbs 0 oz
Price: $ 28.00

Part number CU110: USED RIVETED METAL CRANK PULLEY

Weight: 2 lbs 0 oz
Price: $ 10.00
Brad Bodie

Pinkfloyd4me2

Unread post by Pinkfloyd4me2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 am

Thank you!

corvairnorm

Unread post by corvairnorm » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Did you find one? I posted that I have one. Maybe you missed my post
Norm Wright
Central Florida Corvair
Southeast Corvair Council
Corsa

63 Monza Convert
64 Spyder Convert
66 Corsa coupe-air conditioned

Pinkfloyd4me2

Unread post by Pinkfloyd4me2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:52 pm

I found one! Thank you!... I'll buy the dipstick from you though

rcavictor

Unread post by rcavictor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:55 am

What is the correct pulley for a '66 180 turbo motor? I have a harmonic balancer and have been told that is incorrect - should be cast...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'64 Monza Convertible, Daytona Blue

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Unread post by bbodie52 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:24 am

rcavictor wrote:Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:55 am

What is the correct pulley for a '66 180 turbo motor? I have a harmonic balancer and have been told that is incorrect - should be cast...
:wave: :wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

All Corvair engines from 1964 through 1969 have an engine displacement of 164 cubic inches. All of them, with the exception of the low 95 hp engine, REQUIRE a harmonic balancer. I believe that the 95 hp engine — equipped with a solid cast pulley — was likely a budget compromise mandated more by the accounting department at GM rather than the engineering department. The harmonic balancer became necessary because of the increased crankshaft stroke that was implemented in 1964 to increase the engine displacement. All of these crankshafts are susceptible to harmonics that can ultimately form cracks and stress fractures in the crankshaft. While the low horsepower (95 hp) engine was deemed in the mid-1960s to be subject to less operating stress than the 110 hp or greater engines, the forecasted operational lifespan of a Corvair engine was certainly not foreseen to be more than 50 years!
Clark's Corvair Parts wrote:These are a must for higher-performance Corvair engines & a good investment for lower-horsepower motors. They help to remove or decrease crank vibration for a smoother-running, longer-lasting engine.
Properly remanufactured or new harmonic balancers should definitely be the only type purchased for your 180 hp turbocharged engine. Used harmonic balancers are not a good idea, because of the rubber component that holds the inner hub and outer ring together tends to decay with age. There is no way to know how much operational life remains with a used harmonic balancer.
Harmonic Balancer Decay and Slippage.jpg
Harmonic Balancer.jpg
Harmonic Balancer.jpg (26.61 KiB) Viewed 99 times

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=11

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ge=OTTO-23

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie

rcavictor

Unread post by rcavictor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 am

Thank you!

Been lurking on the forum for more than a year. GREAT info here that has been instrumental in my education and purchases. I just sold my second-owner original survivor 66 Monza Sport Sedan, and currently have a 64 convertible which we have installed a 66 180 turbo motor. Corvairs are fun and great conversation starters :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'64 Monza Convertible, Daytona Blue

Return to “Parts Wanted”