Alt. Fan and pulley needed

Having trouble finding that special part you need? Post a wanted ad.
Forum rules
All Classified posts will be automatically deleted approximately 90 days after posting.
Gasman63

Alt. Fan and pulley needed

Post by Gasman63 »

I had taken my Vair to see Steve in Denver and he pointed out to me that my Alt. Fan was backwards meaning while its turning it could hook the belt. Also it has the wrong pulley. Dad and I havent had an issue with the belt coming off or getting Damage but having the proper items is always best.

I have not tried the used Corvair Part shops on the web yet but thought Id try here first.
If you have these parts and are willing to part with them at a comparable price let me know. Im in no hurry. BTW, my Alt is the internal regulated Alt. On the 140 engine and works fine.
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
66vairguy

Re: Alt. Fan and pulley needed

Post by 66vairguy »

The DELCO alternator fan design PULLS air into the back of the alternator and expels it at the fan/pulley. Because the Corvair alternator turns reverse rotation compared to other GM car alternators it has a unique fan/pulley! So how is your alternator without the correct fan keeping cool? Just lucky as the electrical draw is usually not that great. That said your alternator is running hotter with the incorrect fan and it will shorten the life of the electronic package.

I looked online and Calif. Corvair seems to be out of stock. Corvair Ranch does not have an online lookup so you will have to call them. None listed on eBay. Clark's has none, just rebuilt alternators.

Is the Corvair fan/pulley a difficult part to find?
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Here is a photo of my internally regulated alternator (10SI) with the correct fan. You can use it for reference to match up to any offers you get.

20180901_171619_resized.jpg
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
dryenko

Post by dryenko »

I have several of the proper fans available.
And also the bearing housing for 10Si single wire conversions.
For reference, what is CA Corvairs price for one nice Clean used fan shipped, with tax??
The housing ?
Since their pricing is the going standard.
email me at dryenko@surry.net if interested.
Bob C
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

There are reverse rotating fans made for Delco alts. Think of reverse rotating boat engines. I have one and it is marked CCW. It was paired with a very small dia pulley which wasn't real good. I would guess that a good rebuild shop would have one and then just match it with the correct dia pulley.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

dryenko wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:53 pm For reference, what is CA Corvairs price for one nice Clean used fan shipped, with tax??
The housing ?
Since their pricing is the going standard.
email me at dryenko@surry.net if interested.
Bob C
I don't see a fan for sale , but he wants $60 for a drive housing. I sold him a bunch of fans and housings a quite a few years ago. I think I got 10 for fans and 15 for housings. More than scrap price and he paid shipping. It was a good deal for me to get rid of unneeded parts. I think about 10 of each, all were good used items. He was getting his stock of Vair internally regulated alternators built up at the time, I believe.

Clarks doesn't sell any used fans or housings.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Thanks for the pic Al. It confirms mine is backwards. And Bob, thanks for the reply on having the parts.

I just got an email from Steve saying he has the parts i need. I figured he would have said he had them when he pointed out i had the wrong ones. Lol.

The guy just wont push parts on ya. Lol

I will keep it in mind Bob.

On another point, Steve might not be posting on this site but he is watching. Lol
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Occasionally I'll contact Steve. Great person. Yes he doesn't post much now.

Many of the experienced and knowledgeable folks have stopped posting over the years due to argumentative and rude behavior common on many forums.

As we used to say in aerospace "Don't fall in love with your own idea and don't get defensive and argue if someone POLITELY has a different idea. State your case with knowledge, or admit it is just an opinion, observation, or idea you have".

Return to “Parts Wanted”