Oil Leaking

Some cool features of this site explained
Kelso_B

Oil Leaking

Post by Kelso_B »

How's it going guys? I have a '65 Corvair Monza Convertible (non turbo) and on the bottom of the engine there is oil leaking from either end (about half a quart). There is three bolts on either side of the engine and that is where its dripping from. The bolts are tight and from what I see there isn't any cracks. Have you guys every came across this issue and how did you solve it? Thanks! (I will post pictures soon)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Oil Leaking

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Your description of the oil leak is not clear enough to suggest a source of the leak. As shown in the illustration above, there is a sheet metal shroud on either side of the oil pan in the center. Common leak sources on the bottom of the engine can be the oil pan, which is flat and holds about 4 quarts of oil above the gasket. This is different than most engines that use an oil pan in the shape of a trough, with the oil sump holding the liquid below the gasket. So if the oil pan gasket is not sealing properly on a Corvair it will continue to have oil dripping even with the engine off.

The photograph shows a view of the underside of the engine with the shroud removed. The tubes you see are push rod tubes that carry oil back from the cylinder head/valve cover area to the engine cases and oil pan area. These tubes have a rubber o-ring at each end. Early rubber material used for these o-rings would deteriorate with time and exposure to engine heat — becoming hard and brittle and permitting oil to leak into the sheet metal shroud area. This is a common leakage point. Repair requires removing the valve covers, rocker arms and push rods and push rod guides, and then the push rod tubes to replace the failed o-rings. New o-rings are available in a material called Viton, which tolerates engine heat while remaining pliable and maintaining a good seal. Valve cover gaskets can also develop a leak and drip on the ground.

You may need to remove the lower shrouds to determine the source of the oil leak. If the push rod tubes are leaking the oil will gradually fill the sheet metal shroud area and will then run out of either end and the side nearest the oil pan. It is advisable to remove the sheet metal shrouds, clean the area with engine degreaser, and then observe the lower area with the engine running to locate the source of the leak.

If you plan on maintaining your Corvair yourself, you will need to obtain a shop manual to guide you. The illustrations shown above were taken from Corvair shop manuals. You can purchase hard copies of the shop manual form sources like Clark's Corvair Parts, and you can download them for free from websites on the Internet.

The following link will guide you to useful websites for downloading technical manuals. A CORSA (Corvair Society of America) chapter list is also included (should you wish to socialize with other experienced Corvair owners, if a club chapter exists in your area). A list of good Corvair parts providers is also included.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

I have attached extracts from the shop manual and assembly manual to guide you. The Shop Manual specifically addresses removal of the lower shrouds on page 6-15.
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE Sheet Metal.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE Sheet Metal
(2.39 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - ENGINE.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - ENGINE
(7.71 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
gbarron

Post by gbarron »

As Brad suggested, its best to remove the heat shields and have a good look before tackling anything. I am currently in the middle of re-sealing my push tubes (leaking oil onto the manifolds) as well as replacing valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket. The majority of my oil leakage were the tubes, but since I am in there it does not hurt to replace other gaskets as well. It's also getting new exhaust doughnuts! One less repair to deal with in the future!
Glenn B.
Vancouver, BC
1966 Corvair Monza 110/PG in Chateau Slate "Survivair"
Kelso_B

Post by Kelso_B »

Thanks guys! I found the problem. The o-rings at the end of each push rod are no good so I am going to replace. This is actually my first Corvair and I have a basic knowledge of the car and everything about it but im still new to it. I plan on having it for the long run and I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

Return to “Site Features and How to Use Them”