"Parlez-vous français?" L-AUTOMOBILE 1959

View this section for articles about early model Corvairs - excluding comparisons.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

"Parlez-vous français?" L-AUTOMOBILE 1959

Post by UNSAFE »

Do we have any French speakers here that can briefly break this down for guys like me who took Spanish in high school ?

This is a larger than normal magazine and I had to take it to a local print shop and PAY :eek: to get it scanned !

As usual -- comments are encouraged :dontknow:

"Parlez-vous français?" --- " Do you speak French" ?

I downsized these quite a bit -- Tell me if they are about right ? Remember to click on photo to enlarge .

I also have in PDF form :dontknow:
Attachments
L'AUTOMOBILE Cover a.jpg
L'AUTOMOBILE p20 a.jpg
L'AUTOMOBILE p21 a.jpg
L'AUTOMOBILE p38a.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Skrain

Re: "Parlez-vous français?" L-AUTOMOBILE 1959

Post by Skrain »

All I can get is Something about "European Inspired, made in the U.S.A." and "First Look/contact/test of the Chevrolet Corvair" :dontknow:
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

http://translation.babylon.com/french/to-english/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Jimmyvonviggle

Post by Jimmyvonviggle »

I do speak French, what exactly do you want me to translate?
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I do speak French, what exactly do you want me to translate?
I was kinda kidding about translating but if you wanted to break it down to a paragraph or two about what their opinion of the Corvair was back in 1959 that would be great :tu:

This is an international forum and I posted a Spanish magazine some time back as well .

While I did take a semester of Spanish during my senior year in high school I really couldn't understand
much of it :tongue:

There are also some Australian articles posted in the media section but at least they speaka da English ::-):

So I mentioned the oversize magazine --- awhile ago I got fed up with my old scanner and threw it out my second story window . I shoulda set up a video camera :banghead:

Anyway I want to Office Max to get a replacement and there was an oversize scanner marked down 100 bucks so I bought it and am getting ready to set it up .

The salesperson asked me if I wanted to buy ink to go with it , I asked if ink came with it and he told me "yes" - but they are only half full cartridges . WTF ? :eek:
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Jimmyvonviggle

Post by Jimmyvonviggle »

Alright here is a condensed version of the article;

The 1st pict states: The new corvair surprised us with its clean lines, and lack of fins or excessive styling. The designers may have abandoned excess chrome, but couldn't resist adding 4 headlights up front, in keeping with the American trend at the time.

We waited a long time for this new American car. We were curious what the Americans would come up with considering their European counterparts have been building this style car for many years.

The corvair, when presented at the Paris auto show was welcomed and viewed by many. Professor Nordhof of Volkswagen took it as a compliment that such a large firm such as GM in copying their style, was lending credibility to Volkswagen engineering.

Porsch in Stuttgart Germany lent gm designers an engineers space, and allowed them to study their cars. Even if porsche themselves did not design the corvair, Arthur Duntov the cars engine architect feels they influenced and guided him quite a bit.

Be it a porsche, a volks or a corvair the concept is all the same. The corvair is the first mass produced commercially available car from North America.

The seats are roomy,but sit very low. We were surprised when going next to a dauphine we were actually lower. The car is actually very light for a 6 passenger car.

The dash is symmetrical with a glove box on one side and the instrument cluster on the other. The dash was generously padded.

We only had the option of testing an auto car, with its little shift lever mounted on the dash. The driving experience was good and the steering comfortable. For an air cooled engine we were surprised at how quiet it was compared to,it's European counterparts. Of course next to a standard American car the corvair will seem noisy.

The brakes are adequate for regular driving,but any aggressive driving like done in Europe will be too much for the small braking system. For the price of this car us Europeans have a selection of competitors to choose from.

While at this time the car may not be overly suited for the European market, with some tweaking this car will give the European firms something to worry about.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Wow! thanks Jimmyvonviggle for taking the time to work on the article :not worthy:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page

Return to “Articles covering the 1960 - 1964 Models”