"Target For Corvair" Vintage 1960 film

View this section for articles about early model Corvairs - excluding comparisons.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

"Target For Corvair" Vintage 1960 film

Post by UNSAFE »

This is a Jam Handy sales-person training filmstrip from 1960.

It tells about the advantages of a Corvair over the import cars of the day. It came from a small presentation rather than the usual full monthly dealer kit.

These filmstrips would be shown and discussed at weekly or monthly meetings.

When I get one of these kits I have to carefully cut the filmstrip into strips of 12 photos so they will fit in my scanner. Then I crop and save each pic until I get to the end. Then using a USB turntable I convert the audio to digital. Some of these 50 year old records are in poor condition and I try to correct the audio as best as I can with Wave Editor . Then I import everything into Cyberlink Power Director 11 and begin the tedious task of timing the slides to the beeps on the audio track (Ugh) . Then I re-crop the photos in a more detailed manner . The film is often green or pink so I convert them to B&W and I add a border (letterbox) around the edges. By the time I finish I usually have the audio track memorized :banghead:
Recently I have been adding opening animations with a text to talk program called XtraNormal . It's kinda fun.

Here's a few pieces of literature that came in the box with the record and filmstrip .
scan0102.jpg
scan0103.jpg
scan0104.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS-btlJOfnA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: "Target For Corvair" Vintage 1960 film

Post by Scott H »

These are great resources. Thank you for going through the trouble to convert them to a modern format so we can all have access! It's history that most of us would never see.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: "Target For Corvair" Vintage 1960 film

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :coolphotos:
:dontknow: :think: Although my father is not around today to ask, I wonder if the Chevrolet Corvair "Distinctive and Different" marketing approach displayed in this slide presentation impacted his previous foreign car buying pattern...

• 1952 Cadillac Fleetwood (American)
  • 1957 Plymouth Belvedere (American)
    the European switch...
  • 1957 Volkswagen Beetle (German)
  • 1954 Simca Sport 9 Coupe (French)
  • 1958 AC Ace (British)
  • 1961 Fiat 1500 Sedan (Italian)
  • 1959 English Ford Thames Van (Camper Conversion) (British)
    and then...
  • 1961 Corvair Monza Coupe
  • 1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible
I don't think the "crushed hat" problem mentioned was ever an issue, but the rest of the arguments listed in the Chevrolet presentation might have been a consideration for my father. Whatever convinced him about Corvairs, it started a family pattern that continues to live on for more than fifty years! ::-):
:ty: Thank you for applying your technical skills toward becoming something of a Corvair Forum historian and archivist. I know it takes a lot of time, effort and creativity to resolve the technical problems of digitizing and refreshing this old material. GOOD JOB! :tu:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Articles covering the 1960 - 1964 Models”