VW powered Corvair?

Highly modified rides, bagged, chopped, shaved, radical bodywork...etc
an.vil

VW powered Corvair?

Post by an.vil »

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I have to say I was always liking Corvairs and I'm getting serious about having one.
My question is if someone already did put a VW Beetle engine into a Corvair (just a thought) I'm trying to get the best mpg that I can (you can tell I'm on the budget and trying to please my wife too :-D), plus the Beetle engine is still very affordable and replaceable.

Any ideas? Please no condemnation, I'm not trying to insult enthusiasts, I'm only curious.

Thanks in advance.

:ty:
Air cooled, rear wheel drive
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: VW powered Corvair?

Post by azdave »

Never heard of that one being done but you can Google it and find other people have asked the same question but got no replies that it has been done by anyone. The opposite engine rotation required kills the ease of such a swap.

I have been slowly working on an idea to swap an modern 4 banger into a Corvair so I'll get better fuel mileage plus all the benefits of OBDII tuning and more power. It could be years away before I do it as it's just a sketch at this point.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
an.vil

Post by an.vil »

Thank you azdave, obviously it isn't that easy. At least it looks like the tranny would need to be switched as well, but yeah who knows what else. Can I ask you what the Corvair mpg is?
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Concerns would be lack of torque from a VW engine, and overall displacement or once again lack there of. A 1600cc VW motor is cheaper priced, but ya get less. Gear ratios are key to not over working a smaller engine like that. And a VW engine as stock doesn't like to wind out so you'd loose top end speed. A type 4 VW engine may work well. They come in larger displacements,but will cost more.

Problem you'd have is any gain in MPG won't come without a big down side to it. Stick to the vair engine, keep a light foot and save a huge hassle. Or just buy a VW. Lol. (Can ya tell I'm a VW guy as well)
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
an.vil

Post by an.vil »

Thanks Kevin,

I was thinking about Type 1 engine with bigger displacement like 2000 cc (you can get a 3000cc as well) I'm not that much concerned about the speed I want the car for normal commute driving. Any idea what MPG can I expect with Corvair 6 cylinder engine? The reason why this could be great is the beauty of Corvair and the space of it.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Im both a Corvair and VW guy, I see no reasons to put a VW engine in a vair, I do see pluses to putting a vair engine in a VW but I keep em separated.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Also, have you looked into the price of a 2000cc VW engine? A 2.0 VW (aircooled) isn't ready all that good on gas usually and won't last as long as a vair engine that was designed to be a bigger displacement.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
an.vil

Post by an.vil »

Hi Kevin,

I guess you are right about both of them. It gets expensive with the displacement of the VW. What is the mpg of your vair?

Thanks again,

Tom
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

I considered creating an early model corvair as a daily driver. As far as I know, Clark's Corvairs offers 3.08 gear sets ('vairs are usually 3.23's as far as I know, except corsas which are 3.55's or even higher) which were optional back in the day. I would think that the earlier 2.3 liter motor (140 c.i.) with a 3-speed stick and those 3.08's would be fairly decent on gas. I was also thinking to fabricate a heated center-mount intake manifold and run a single Holley/Weber progressive 2 barrel, sort of mimicking the VW beetle arrangement. Can't imagine it not getting 30+ MPG.....
an.vil

Post by an.vil »

Thank you very much flat6_musik

Return to “Custom Vehicles”