VW Transaxle opinon

Highly modified rides, bagged, chopped, shaved, radical bodywork...etc
StantheMartin

VW Transaxle opinon

Post by StantheMartin »

1960 80hp Corvair here, long post, pretty specific build question.
Can I get opinions about putting an early VW Type 2 transaxle into a 1960-1964 year Corvair? The question is just about getting a VW Type 2 transaxle (swing or IRS) underneath a Corvair, whether or not it's reasonable and if I could get advice from anyone who has done or has links to it being done.

I'm looking to use the Type 2 VW transaxle ($900ish) and mate it to the 13B Mazda "Renesis" engine because the 13b has a kit from Kennedy Engineering just for the Type 002. The engine pulls between 210-245hp stock at almost 9k rpm and only weighs 275 lbs. When you add the 75 lb Type 2 transaxle the overall weight comes to 350lbs (The standard 80hp motor and transmission both weigh 332 lbs dry according to the 1960 Corvair paperwork).

From what I see in terms of math and compatibility is a relatively low cost swap that almost triples my hp output without massively changing the weight distribution, the hardest part being I would have to make some pretty unique motor and transmission mounts. I've read a couple threads of people using VW transaxles, so I figured I'd ask if anyone could tell me just how difficult the transaxle modification/fitting was and if there may be better VW transaxles to look into.
hrm2k

Re: VW Transaxle opinon

Post by hrm2k »

When I started my V8 Corvair, the plan was to use a 944 transaxle behind a 13B rotary...…..things changed and so did my plans. I can tell you that none of this is an easy swap. Did you consider a 215 Buick V8 swap ? bolts up to your transaxle...…...or maybe a reverse rotation marine V8 which will all bolt up to you transaxle. Lots of ways to get to higher HP without all the trials and tribulations
StantheMartin

Post by StantheMartin »

You know, honestly I hadn't considered most of the V8 swaps because of the weight differences and having to go full on reverse-rotation mid engine. I've got a four-door I'm trying to keep near-stock weight distribution and the back seat, and that's what initially turned me onto a subaru flat-six or Rotary swap. I'll look into the Buick swap for sure! Was there something specific that turned you away from the 13b?
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Mid engine is not reverse rotation. Putting an engine against your Corvair transaxle requires reverse rotation. If keeping your back seat and weight distribution is high on your priorities, maybe you would be better off doing a 140HP engine which will bolt in.
I had thought about a 13B with a 944 trans axle trying to make it lite weight. I got my transaxle for free ( 73 Eldorado ) and had about half a dozen small block chevy engines so the decision was made for me.
The amount of cutting and removing all the metal in the way of the swap is staggering. You will need a lot of metal fab skills as well as welding skills. And it will still cost you a lot of money. When I started my car, I owned the car, had the engine and got the transaxle for free. I'm over $10,000 in the swap and it is still not completely street ready. Swaps as you spoke of are never cheap...….not even reasonable. Make sure of what you are planning and double the amount of time and money required

This is a 215 cubic inch V8 olds engine against the Corvair transaxle. You might change the weight distribution but you can save you back seat. Please look at the amount of metal cutting required just for this swap. The entire engine compartment is cut away.

And in the middle of this , we haven't even talked about cooling systems and piping, electrical changes ( yes, you will have to rewire stuff ).
StantheMartin

Post by StantheMartin »

The 140 swap is something I would consider, thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “Custom Vehicles”