3.1 For Sale

(Corvair ads you find on other sites can also be discussed here, i.e. ebay, craigslist.)
Forum rules
All Classified posts will be automatically deleted approximately 90 days after posting.
jimbrandberg

3.1 For Sale

Post by jimbrandberg »

My buddy Fran Schmit has been working on Corvairs for himself since about 1970. For his career he was an engineering type at Honeywell, he has always enjoyed technical things and has an abundance of Corvair knowledge he's happy to share. He's been the go-to guy at Corvair Minnesota forever and I can't say enough. He's in his 80s and slowly downsizing in preparation for selling the house in favor of assisted living, an old back injury is slowing him down.
About 15 years ago he got the bug to build a Corvair performance engine. The crankcase was sent to Ray Sedman for modification to accept VW cylinders and roller lifter cam with adjustable cam gear. The rods were balanced and shot peened. The 140 heads had everything removed for heat treating and then new guides and seats. Much much more.
The engine has been in a 66 coupe with 4 speed for at least 10 years so it's well sorted and runs like a champ, he even had it on a chassis dyno about 5 years ago for Rochester tuning and such.
The car itself is good and solid but not brilliant. It has been modified for 6 tail lights. It has vacuum assist for power brakes. It is definitely worthy of a paint job and final finishing. Everything works. I don't want to give the impression that it's a bad chassis, it's very good just not shiny in a classic example of form follows function sort of a way.
He's asking $10,000 for it which is essentially what is in the engine alone. There are not many miles on the engine.
You can't go wrong if you want a performance Corvair. I'm downsizing myself or I would make a move on it.
He quit the forum thing many years ago as taking up too much of his time and I'm just trying to help him out. There's nothing in it for me, I just think someone would be very happy with this car. You're better off with a car that's well sorted than something just put together yesterday.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
fred bagnall

Re: 3.1 For Sale

Post by fred bagnall »

Sounds like a great deal 👌. Like I said on the other phorum, " Are you able to get any pics of the car"?
jimbrandberg

Re: 3.1 For Sale

Post by jimbrandberg »

I can put Fran and interested folks together.
Jim Brandberg

Return to “Vehicles For Sale”