Anyone out there with 17" wheels on an FC?

All Models and Years
vanwyk4257

Re: Anyone out there with 17" wheels on an FC?

Post by vanwyk4257 »

Believe me, as soon as I have the time I'm busting out the sander and all that lavender paint will be the first thing to go!
I'm going to take it down to bare metal and prime it for now so I can identify any areas that need attention in the mean time. That lavender is really starting to gnaw at me, it must go soon LOL!!
1961 Corvair 95 van - rust free CA truck, pro touring style resto mod in progress.
2009 Mazdaspeed3, turbocharged D-stock autocross terror/daily driver
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

I'd just get it stoping and going and legal then go from there, white and lavender and all. If it needs a lot of front suspension/brake work do the '57 drop spindle/disc kit and drive it spray cans are cheap till you get the cash to do the body work (though I'm sure you'd need a lot of them) jmo
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
vanwyk4257

Post by vanwyk4257 »

That's the game plan, but the white and lavender need to go, I will not drive it that way! :td:
It needs brakes and shocks, so I'm going to do all the suspension and replace every component in the braking system, do the dual MC upgrade and the drop spindles/front disc conversion, rebuild the rear drums etcetera. I could theoretically drive it in primer once I get the engine running, but the problem is the windshield is cracked pretty badly, and it doesn't make sense to me to put a new one in before the truck is painted. I would rather do the paint job right with all the glass out and then replace all the weatherstripping and glass/weatherstrips as needed. If the windshield weren't broken I would probably just primer it black and rat rod it for a while.
1961 Corvair 95 van - rust free CA truck, pro touring style resto mod in progress.
2009 Mazdaspeed3, turbocharged D-stock autocross terror/daily driver
gwydionjhr

Post by gwydionjhr »

What size tires do you have on those wheels?

I'm running 17x7 w/ 4"BS and the 2" drop spindles on my RS. Tires are 215/55's and I do have rubbing issues. Some Shockwave 9000 airbags on next on the menu which should solve that problem. But if you're just going to stick with springs I'd do a 215/45 or 50.
Regards,
Joel
1961 Rampside w/Deluxe Scamper Camper
1966 Corsized Cdn Monza Coupe
1967 UV #292
"Kick the Hell out of the Status Quo" - Ed Cole

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”