The custom FC info thread.

All Models and Years
DROPPEDATBIRTH

The custom FC info thread.

Post by DROPPEDATBIRTH »

Hi all, I am starting to work on my van again. I just rented a 1.5 bay garage for the winter and my lease starts this Saturday.
I want to make a thread to hold not only the information I have learned but information for others to who want to customize a FC. I like the way this forum is set up, unlike other forums with one single colume of only new posts. Maybe if we can get a nice thread going we can draw some other FC guys into here. There is so much misinformation or confusing information on the net I want to start a thread to clarify everything, and I would like others to help with their input, experience, how too's and pictures.
I want to cover a little bit of everything here.
I am going to use some pictures in this thread that are not mine. If you are the owner and want them removed, just request it and I will.

Suspension:
-Airbags: There are 3 FC's that I know of that are bagged successfully. I'm sure there are more but I have only seen three. The first and I would say most recognized is John Jackson's Not Stock Photography Van.

The second is an 8 Door White Panel Van. I know this guy did a photoshop picture for me before, but I can not remember his name.

The third is a Loadside but only the front is bagged, I saw a youtube video of it once.

Here is the dilemma, I have read every forum post and article that I could find on FC's and air ride and I have yet to find a thread which lists the components used. Some suggest shockwaves, some suggest bags, no one make a direct mount kit and I am not fluent enough in air bag speak to design a new system nor do I have the money to keep trying stuff until I find something that works.

-Drop Spindles: I think I have this one figured out and I used to have a picture printed out but I can not find it.

I have seen that a few, very few, FC owners are running Heidt 55-57 Tri-Five Chevy 2 inch drop spindle and then adapting their bolt on disc brake setup to fit the Corvair. From what I have read there is only one small obstacle, the lower ball joint hole is too small and needs to be reamed out to fit the ball joint. From my research i have found that the ball joints are the same as the corresponding year full size truck ball joint. I'm trying to find out if there is another ball joint that will work without reaming out the drop spindle. Maybe the 55-57 Chevy ball joint will bolt in, who knows, I'm not there yet.

-Disc brakes: I am assuming through the information I have found that this setup will work with the Tri-Five drop spindles. Again there is very little information on the web for a FC.
http://www.classicindustries.com/tri-fi ... 00158.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Drum Brake Shoe Replacement: Drum brakes on all FC's are the same. They all use an 11 X 2 shoe, National #'s 228 and 189's.

-Shocks: FC's use the same shock front and rear even though they originally had different part numbers. NAPA part# 94002 will fit with no modifications. There are many other shocks that will work. May people have used Dodge D-150 shocks, I personally have installed a set of KYB front shocks from a 96 S10 onto the front of my 63 Panel.

-Front End Rebuild Kit: From the research I have done, I have found that 90% of the people who have bought a front end rebuild kit from the ebay seller "11KarKrazy" are happy and have had very little complications. The kit is $189.00 and includes (from the sellers ebay listing):
***INNER LEFTHAND TIE ROD***
***INNER RIGHTHAND TIE ROD***
***OUTER LEFTHAND TIE ROD***
***OUTER RIGHTHAND TIE ROD***
***LEFTHAND TIE ROD SLEEVE***
***RIGHTHAND TIE ROD SLEEVE***
***LEFTHAND UPPER BALL JOINT***
***RIGHTHAND UPPER BALL JOINT***
***LEFTHAND LOWER BALL JOINT***
***RIGHTHAND LOWER BALL JOINT***
***LEFTHAND UPPER ARM BUSHINGS (2 EACH)***
***RIGHTHAND UPPER ARM BUSHINGS (2 EACH)***
***LEFTHAND LOWER ARM BUSHINGS (2 EACH)***
***RIGHTHAND LOWER ARM BUSHINGS (2 EACH)***
THIS KIT ALSO CONTAINS THE COTTER PINS, RUBBER GREASE SEALS/BOOTS, ZIRC FITTINGS, PLUS THE TIE ROD SLEEVE BOLTS, NUTS, AND CLAMPS.

-Air Filters: For factory Replacement: Purolator Part# A20055.

-Muffler: For factory replacement with a little added rumble I originally chose the Cherry Bomb part# 16803. Honestly it was too loud even for my taste. I ended up cross referencing the size at Advanced Auto to a Walker Muffler made by Dynomax. No modification, fits the muffler area nicely. I believe I used a 2ID coupler then I welded it. Is still loud and the flat 6 boxer sounds great with any muffler attached to it.

-Stock Wheels: The following info comes from Autoexer (Bryan Blackwell)
Diameter: Vertical dimension of the wheel, measured where the tire's bead seats. All Corvair FCs are 14".
Width: The distance between the inner lips of the rim, where the tire beads seat. All Corvair FC wheels are 5" wide.
Lug Pattern: FCs use 5 lugs on a 4 3/4" circle (5 x 4 3/4").
Center Hole Diameter: 2.8".
Backspacing: FC wheels have a backspace of 3 1/2". For reference, more backspace moves the wheel further in the wheelwell, less backspace brings it out. For FCs it's a little more complicated, 14" wheels are limited to the stock backspace because a deeper set wheel will hit the tie rod.

Well that is all for now, I will keep updating this thread, feel free to talk, converse, add, tell me I'm wrong, ect.
Last edited by DROPPEDATBIRTH on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Dustin
Sewickley, PA
"63 Corvair Panel"
flat6_musik

Re: The custom FC info thread.

Post by flat6_musik »

Cool!
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

Going to be cool thread, I like the look! Show pictures of your van. :tu:
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
Corvair Society Of America Member "Corsa"
V-8 Registry Member
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Good luck with your project. Great idea to put all the needed info in one place. I am trying to do the same thing with my V8 vair project.
I have seen John Jackson'd FC a couple of times around the country. I know he drives it a boatload of miles every year. I even got to sign the inside of the door in Annapolis MD. last year.
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

Having just got a Greenbrier myself I shall add as much as I can, I hope it becomes a little goldmine of info for us and future FC owners :)
DROPPEDATBIRTH

Post by DROPPEDATBIRTH »

Thanks all, I appriciate the feedback.

Updated drum shoe replacement.
Dustin
Sewickley, PA
"63 Corvair Panel"
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

COOL :-) will follow this one
and keep on making those great pictures on FB I LIKE THEM !

GReetings Ralf
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

Re the front end rebuild, although I have found the seller I cannot see anything in his items for sale.

Can you have a check on whether it is still available please? And post a link if it is?

I'll do an add up of the same list of bits from Clarks for comparison.
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

Hmmm, all being equal it sounds like that kit was a good deal, but I can't vouch for the quality of fit.
PARTS.jpg
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

And a very handy writeup of putting retracting seat belts in a FC:

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvana ... -8door.pdf
Danthesignman

Post by Danthesignman »

I`m in , I will be working on Mine this winter also .
CorvairKid
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by CorvairKid »

Hey does anyone have any information on air bagging the front on fc? anyone know owner of 62 rampy video on youtube that i can get ahold of?
Alex Becker
Yankton, South Dakota

61 Greenbrier
61 Loadside
61 Rampside
62 Greenbrier
65 140 monza
65 140 DFI turbo charged monza
CorvairKid
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by CorvairKid »

Anyone know if -6mm offset or 3.75 inch backspacing would work on fc front and rear?
Alex Becker
Yankton, South Dakota

61 Greenbrier
61 Loadside
61 Rampside
62 Greenbrier
65 140 monza
65 140 DFI turbo charged monza
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

There was a little discussion a while ago on the Corvair Forum regarding custom FC wheel sizing. I dont know if that info will be useful to you or not. viewtopic.php?f=169&t=922
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
DROPPEDATBIRTH

Post by DROPPEDATBIRTH »

TexasUK wrote:Re the front end rebuild, although I have found the seller I cannot see anything in his items for sale.

Can you have a check on whether it is still available please? And post a link if it is?

I'll do an add up of the same list of bits from Clarks for comparison.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1962-1963- ... a3&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CorvairKid wrote:Anyone know if -6mm offset or 3.75 inch backspacing would work on fc front and rear?
Not sure, The Boogie Van, The first van pictured is running a 15x6 Rocket racing wheel. I know it is has 3.50" back spacing because that is the only back spacing they have in a 15x6 5x4.75 bolt pattern.
Last edited by DROPPEDATBIRTH on Wed May 08, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dustin
Sewickley, PA
"63 Corvair Panel"
DROPPEDATBIRTH

Post by DROPPEDATBIRTH »

OK I'm back and over the next couple months I will be updating this thread quite a bit. I've dropped almost 2K in parts since January and they are all sitting in the basement waiting to be installed. I need to get ahold of a moderator to see how I can go in and edit the origional post as it has been too long and the edit option is now missing.
Dustin
Sewickley, PA
"63 Corvair Panel"

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”