Swap 3 speed to powerglide.

All Models and Years
DROPPEDATBIRTH

Swap 3 speed to powerglide.

Post by DROPPEDATBIRTH »

Hi everyone, it has been a while. I have a few questions. After almost 1 year and a half I have decided to dust off the FC and get back to work on it. I have a new job and there will be money there to make it road worthy hopefully by spring. Here is my question, I am going to have a local VW air cooled mechanic look over my 63's motor. I am missing 2 linkages on my left carburetor, I just had the gas tank pulled and resealed. I just need to bolt it back in and run all new lines. Hopefully after I get these few small details fixed the van will run correctly again.
Here is my question and my explanation to my question. Also I have been bashed for this next statement on various forums, but this is what I want to do. I want to install airbags on my FC, I want to lay it as close to the ground as possible on demand. I have taken pictures and measurements of the suspension and I have already sent them to air ride technologies last week, they are currently looking into several setups and possibilities. My main issue is the shifter linkage, I need this gone to achieve my goal. I originally was going to weld a u channel and install it from the front to the rear, this would protect the linkage but will restrict my height by what I estimate to be 3-5 inches. I have looked, I have found various powerglide to 4 speed conversions but I am not finding any full article write up about switching from a 3 speed to a powerglide.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some information about the swap. Thank you in advance.
Dustin
Sewickley, PA
"63 Corvair Panel"

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”