Rampside Bed Questions

All Models and Years
Marion

Rampside Bed Questions

Post by Marion »

I just bought a '64 Rampside. Hasn't yet been delivered, but my imagination is already running wild. Had a couple of ideas:

One - has anybody here fabbed up a "level bed" option by taking one of those "hydraulic lift tables" that you can buy from Harbor Freight Tools for pretty cheap, putting a new top on it to fit the Rampside's lower center, and installed that into the bed? The idea is that it could sit relatively low, like the stock bed, but be raised with the foot pump hydraulic jack into the same position as the rear of the bed.

Two - I've seen some postings about bed covers, tonneau covers, etc. Looking for advice/experience. Anybody ever make a bed cover out of stiff foam w/ fiberglass overlay? Maybe in three sections, so they could lift out and stack up against the front of the bed. My idea would be to have them "domed" in the center, like the same contour as the roof, to get water run-off, and of course a neat look.
indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Rampside Bed Questions

Post by indianalakewood1961 »

Check this out from this years convention...
http://www.youtube.com/user/CORVAIRWILD ... 9TqdQEbmbk
Jim
Marion

Post by Marion »

Jim: Thanks for posting that. I'm sure my Rampy will never be in that league, but it's very cool to see.
indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by indianalakewood1961 »

No prob.. Post some pics of yours, love to look at rampys. I am hoping to add one to my barn soon..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”