Bought a '64 Rampy

All Models and Years
Marion

Bought a '64 Rampy

Post by Marion »

Hi all. I've been interested in getting a Rampy for a while, and recently bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

I've never been in one before, much less driven one. I need to ship this one out from Oregon to Washington, DC. Could someone familiar with FCs take a look at the picture and tell me what that thing is beneath the glove box? Is that a gasoline heater? The seller didn't answer the question. Thanks.
Phil Dally

Re: Bought a '64 Rampy

Post by Phil Dally »

Looks like a vairy good deal...way to go!!!
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
Marion

Post by Marion »

Thanks Phil. Of course you never know for sure until you see it in person, but it looked like a good deal.
atwistedgrip
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by atwistedgrip »

I sort of consider myself an FC guy... and based on what I can make out from the pictures, you do not have a gasoline heater. It is hard to tell from the picture, and it does look like there is something underneath the glovebox door... but based on my slight expertise (and again what I can make out from the pictures), it looks like you have the forced-air heater controls and not the gas heater controls. Gasoline heaters for FCs are not the same as the gasoline heater for the cars and are pretty rare.

It looks like you got an awesome vehicle at a great price. '64 rampys are the best (in my opinion), as they are the last year produced but the first year with the larger displacement engines.

I also own a '64 Rampside that is being restored, a '61 Rampside hacked to pieces for parts, a '62 Rampside that I drive as often as possible and a nice '62 Greenbrier van (with a working gas heater) that I'm considering selling.

Post up some picture of your new toy when you finally get it... I'd really like to see more, especially of the engine.
Gary
Sun City is now Menifee, CA
CORSA member
IECC member
Marion

Post by Marion »

Gary: Thanks for the input. I will post up pics as soon as I get the Rampy. I'm very excited about the truck. I haven't seen the motor, but the owner said it was the truck motor, with oil access from the rear door. So I don't know if it's original, 95, 110, etc. I may end up being very surprised at what shows up. I have no idea what that thing is hanging underneath the glovebox. I'm not that happy about the spotlight either, but all in all it looks like a good deal. I like the wheels, but can't wait to paint it a lighter color.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Well done!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Marion

It's Frankenramp!

Post by Marion »

They delivered my '64 Rampside, and unfortunately it's not such a great deal. Perhaps not all that surprising, the truck has been mucked around with quite a bit.

The motor is a '61 block, proper truck block, with rear-oil filler. Has a '64 fan though, and '61 carbs (w/ non-working manual cable chokes). Heater system is a mess; nothing works there. Cables all rusted (or missing), the "AIR" control lever is missing, and they've pop-riveted and bondo'ed some of the lower body panels. They generator was switched over to an alternator, without a proper mount, so it's chewing through fanbelts. A few other nits.

Ah well, the adventure begins!
atwistedgrip
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by atwistedgrip »

Pictures?
Also, switch back to a generator. I have one in my "64 Rampy and it works fine.
Your Rampside sounds like it was in better shape than mine.
Check out my progress here...

viewtopic.php?f=169&t=872
Gary
Sun City is now Menifee, CA
CORSA member
IECC member

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”