Brakes: Remote Reservoir & eVacuum Booster

All Models and Years
Vairamp

Brakes: Remote Reservoir & eVacuum Booster

Post by Vairamp »

Yes, I know that a well adjusted brake system is good. Mine was actually set up by a NE Corvair shop. I’m still not happy about the braking stop distance. Excuse me for not looking forward to kissing the dash in a front end accident.

I just found out about this manufacturer, Master Power Brakes. They make a remote fluid reservoir and an electric brake booster vacuum. Anyone know about them or have used these products?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
66vairguy

Re: Brakes: Remote Reservoir & eVacuum Booster

Post by 66vairguy »

For decades folks have complained about the excess effort and poor stopping ability of Corvairs with new brake shoes. A fellow in my club asked me to drive his LM with new brakes. They were so ineffective I pulled over and refused to drive the owners car any further.

The fix has been discussed and is simple. Install brake shoes with a soft lining (like original) and have the shoes arced to fit the drum. The hard part is finding a shop that will reline and arc brake shoes. I found a place in Long Beach, CA and was very happy with how well my manual brakes worked. Not as easy as power assist, but it doesn't take much effort to lock up all four wheels to stop quick. Overall the brake pedal feel is reasonable and solid. The car stops fine, just like Corvairs did when new.

It seems most of the aftermarket brake shoes are using the same hard material used on disc brake pads. Not acceptable.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Adding power to the stock brake system will only change the pedal effort to get the same stopping as you have now. To do so will take a lot of doing also.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Owners have definitely added power brakes to their Corvairs but I don't know if they used the same system you have found. I'm still happy with the single manual MCs on all my LM's including a V8. I know some people with hip or knee issues have had to change to power brakes or give up driving their Corvairs.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”