Rampside Door Closure Mechanism

All Models and Years
hrm2k

Re: Rampside Door Closure Mechanism

Post by hrm2k »

Last edited by hrm2k on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Last edited by hrm2k on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

terribleted wrote:Doors should close fully even with new weatherstrips IF they are adjusted properly and the latch mechanism is functioning properly. They may normally be somewhat hard to close with brand new weatherstrips, requiring a good solid close or light slam to close all the way. This tightness should not persist for more than a week or so as the weatherstrips compress and form to their space.

It is possible that the cab is very air tight which can cause the last door closed to close poorly. Either door should close fine with the other door open unless there is a problem other than the cab is too tight. Can maybe work around a tight cab by opening a kick panel vent before exiting.

If the doors are very difficult to close and the latch is functioning then adjustment of some sort is needed. Adjustment could mean moving the door out in the opening so it does not run out of space before it is closed. There could be an issue with the flange that the weatherstrip mounts too (I have had to bend areas along this flange for more clearance or less clearance in the past), all it takes sometimes is one good tight spot to make the door not close properly. It is possible that the shop is trying to obtain a better door edge and gap alignment than the truck had from the factory. Doors should close fully flush or at least nearly flush. I have run across trucks that the best option was to just adjust the doors out a little bit and let them be not quite perfectly flush (think like 1/16 of an inch max). It often does not take much change in a adjustment to make a significant difference in how the door closes.
THANKS for your suggestions. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

hrm2k wrote:Sorry Thomas, you are completely wrong. This is all about fitting a door, a latch or some other trim piece. No changes to the suspension, not even a power upgrade....................so tell me how is this the right place ? You chill

Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

hrm2k wrote:Pardon me for being an asshole but this kind of post should be where it belongs...............not in the Pushing the Boundary forum. You aren't even doing the work. You are asking questions for the guy you are paying to do the work. There are other parts of the forum for this kind of stuff but not here. Bike racks, stock emblems and Clarks door panels belong somewhere else................it's not hard to figure out. Let me see if I can help

[b]4.3 v6[/b] a guy trying to put a V6 in his Corvair......................Fits the forum
The Audacious V8 Corvair a guy putting a Audi V8 in a Corvair..................Fits the forum
LS3 Corvair putting a new LS V8 in a Corvair......................................Fits the forum
The Spousal Avoidance Unit build putting toro/V8 in the back seat................Fits the forum
Toro Corvair Project Thread another Toro / V8 in the back seat......................Fits the forum
Yenko Stinger Question the original performance Corvair...........................fits the forum

put your posts where they belong. Not a big Deal at all

Supoport the Board with a donation to Scott to keep the doors open and the lights on
IMG_5872.JPG

Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

Thomas Pedigo wrote:No such thing as an air-tight FC. Most likely your new stiff rubber seals and someone willing to spend the time adjusting the catch.
It was an idea that was presented to me when I checked it. But with one door in the first latch position I checked other door for closure. Same thing.

Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

Thomas Pedigo wrote:
Vairamp wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:23 am I’ve had Clark’s door panels installed on the Rampside. Maybe that is the cause?IMG_5230.JPG

Just wanted to say;

Beautiful '63 Deluxe!
Thanks for that . The photo doesn’t do it justice. It’s actually a ‘62 Fauluxe. When it’s done I’ll post a few photos. After having it for over a decade I thought it was time for a face lift and some needed hardening of the plastic, rubber, replacement etc etc.

Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

SteveInMarietta wrote:Granted, a deluxe Rampside never had the door panels, but that should not be the problem as long as the add-on panels are positioned correctly and other issues are OK. Door alignment, latch positioning, mis-positioning of the panels, stiffer weatherstrip, and panels that have slightly too much padding all can contribute to the failure to latch correctly. I've never seen Clarks repro panels, but if too generous with the padding, the panels will be somewhat thicker. The type of weatherstripping used could contribute to the problem. I know that the Clarks repro weatherstrip is pretty good; if you have installed a stiffer weatherstrip, it may not adequately compress. I had a similar problem with the passenger side front door of my 61 GB, and fussed for hours to get it to finally latch adequately. Now several years later, it latches easier as the weatherstrip has accommodated better.
I don’t believe the Clark’s panels are “heavily” padded. I was hoping someone, on this Forum, who had installed some, had an idea. They’re very well made, very nicely detailed and of course perfectly match the other Vinyl.

I was very worried they might use genuine baby Naugahyde pelts. I understand they’re now extinct and vinyl has been the replacement :)

It’s going to be going to the body/paint shop. Maybe another set of eyes will figure out the problem.

Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

You probably figured this out long ago. I just did this on my van. It was only engaging the safety latch on both doors. I tried adjusting and all sorts of things. I ended up just depressing the button on the handle and rotating the catch cam on the door itself to the proper position. I shut the door, it is tight and everything id fine, so that is another thing to check. The driver side latch did move in a bit and needed to be adjusted out as well, but that was not difficult to do.
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”