Bicycle rack for rear doors of a van

All Models and Years
dave t

Bicycle rack for rear doors of a van

Post by dave t »

I just heard that my girlfriend is getting a bike for Christmas from her kids. I have a 64 greenbrier, she has a mercury sable wagon. Does anyone have experience with a bike rack that straps to the back doors of a van? I know, it will make getting into the back a pain. A roof rack would be best but she most likly will not be able to lift the bike up there. What I am thinking is getting a rack that could be used on either vehicle. I have a bunch of straps & buckles and expect to need to sew up different straps for each vehicle. I am looking for input from anyone who has experience with those racks on a van
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

vairguy63

Re: Bicycle rack for rear doors of a van

Post by vairguy63 »

I tried the same thing a few years back and ended up using the trailer hitch mounted platform for the tires to rest in and then using bungees to the rear hinges to hold the bikes in place. Worked great but probably not a solution for both cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Dobber1234

Post by Dobber1234 »

I use this bike rack on my wife's minivan. It attaches to a trailer hitch too. Google this "Thule Apex Swing"

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
dave t

Post by dave t »

Thanks. I have been designing a receiver hitch in my head just for this. However, my welder is a 50amp and I only have 40amp service in my garage. I have to find someone with a welder to do the job. I guess I will get a rack for my girl's sable and wait till after Christmas to build a hitch for a good rack for my greenbrier. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”