Northeast Corvair Council (NECC) - Time Trials for Corvairs

Autocross, Landspeed, Drag Racing, Road Racing, Other Driving/Racing topics
Allan Lacki

Northeast Corvair Council (NECC) - Time Trials for Corvairs

Post by Allan Lacki »

The Northeast Corvair Council ("NECC") conducts high-speed track events for Corvair owners and sports car enthusiasts. Visit our Announcements page for the latest information on our 2010 schedule! http://www.neccmotorsports.com

Our history goes back to 1974, when we conducted time trials for Corvairs at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut. Corvairs? On a race track? You bet! We've been doing it more than thirty years, every year, since 1974.

Our website contains our event schedule, track rules, car classification rules, tech inspection forms, host hotel information, lap times, photo galleries and much more. http://www.neccmotorsports.com

Allan Lacki for NECC
mlevair

Re: Northeast Corvair Council (NECC) - Time Trials for Corva

Post by mlevair »

I am going to Summit Point to try my new car out . I hope it does as well as my old yeller. ::-):
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Track Report. Thirty drivers drove in the NECC Time Trials at Summit Point on May 3, 2010.

We had a wide assortment of cars, with 15 Corvairs and 17 non-Corvairs (also known as "Water Pumpers" in NECC parlance).

The Corvairs ranged from Tom Hugh's 90 horsepower Monza coupe to five potent Stingers driven by Dave Clemens, Michael LeVeque, Bruce Carlton, Dave Edsinger, and Chuck Sadek.

Water Pumpers ranged from a 105 horsepower Toyota Yaris driven by yours truly to a 450 horsepower BMW M-3 driven by local Summit Point driver Bruce Shelton.

Mr. Shelton's M-3 is not the type you buy at your local BMW car store. It was hand-built from a body in white provided by the BMW factory to a German race car fabricator, and is equipped with all the latest high-tech racing equipment, including a Formula 1 style sequential shifter. Bruce claims his M-3 has 450 horsepower, and I believe it.

The M-3 naturally had the fastest time of day, but the Stingers were only a few seconds behind, with Dave Clemens leading the pack. No other Water-Pumper beat Dave's lap times.

Although Warren LeVeque did not join us for this event, Michael LeVeque and Tracy McLean brought a bag full of Warren's Tweetie-Birds which were awarded during the closing ceremony at the end of the event. Tweetie winners included David Clemens for Fastest Corvair, Michael LeVeque for Vintage Corvair, Terry Stafford for Street Stock Corvair, Dan Schmidt for Pure Stock Corvair, Tom Hughes for Fast but Ugly Corvair (Tom's car is undergoing rust repair), Judy Briley for Corvair Angel, and Jonathan Kendig for being an all-round good-guy and long-time NECC supporter.

The rain held off, the cars held together, and a good time was had by all! Mechanical failures were limited to a couple of flipped fan belts.

Credits: NECC Vice President Ray Zabinski was our track director. NECC Secretary Dan Schmidt and Keith Kounovsky conducted tech inspection. Timing was performed by Pat Carlton, Judy Briley, Roberta O’Neill, Tracy McLean, Robert Graefe, Rudy Graefe, and me. Brian O'Neill and Tom Ludwig rented the track and paid the bill.

You can find the lap times for Summit Point on the NECC website. Use this address:

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/necc/page9.html

Al Lacki for NECC
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Thanks for the report Allan. Sounds like it was a blast. :burnout:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)

Return to “Flaps up, Balls out!”