Vote for Corvair of the Month APRIL 2015

Calendar page and Gift Certificate to the winner...and of course, BRAGGING RIGHTS!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Online People's Choice Corvair Show - Corvair of the Month.

To enter your vehicle, Reply to the current Corvair of the Month thread, include at least one high quality photo and some info on your entry (year, model, specs, etc). Each show will be limited to the first ten vehicles posted for that month. The voting will begin as soon as ten vehicles are entered or on the 1st of the month, whichever comes first. Please only post vehicles you own and only one per month. Vehicles must be Corvair or Corvair powered. If you win, please do not post the same vehicle in another month during that calendar year. If you won in a previous year you may enter again. The shows will run each month from January through September. In October we will run the "Corvair of the Year" contests. One for all vehicles 1960-1964 and a second for all 1965-1969 vehicles. In November we will have available a Calendar of all of the winners. Please note that by posting pictures in this forum you give corvairforum.com and it's owners the right to use your picture(s) in the calender and website. In order to Vote for your favorite Corvair you will have to have posted at least three times in any forum. In the event of a tie, the vehicle entered first will be the winner.

Vote for Corvair of the Month April 2015

Poll ended at Fri May 01, 2015 1:14 am

rondo
43%
Ganue60
22%
ncwitte
35%

Total votes: 49

Scott H
Site Admin

Vote for Corvair of the Month APRIL 2015

Post by Scott H »

:chevy: Voting Now Open :chevy:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
rondo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: ENTER- Corvair of the Month APRIL 2015

Post by rondo »

Rondo here, My entry is a 1966 Corsa factory A/C convertable, 140 HP 4 Sp. I purchased it in Dec. of 2010 and did a bumper to bumper resto excluding an engine rebuild. I just completed this project a few weeks ago. This is my first corvair and I really enjoyed this project. The exterior paint is Aztec Bronze. Interior paint is a med.Fawn met.with a white interior and a Fawn/Gray carpet. This car was bought new here in Az. I'm the 3rd owner. Originally white with a marroon interior, the second owner had it painted a maroon as seen in the 1st pic. The whole restoration can be seen in the 66 Restoration posts under Member's Rides Projects and Builds.
Attachments
1st Corvair pics 003.jpg
1st Corvair pics 177.jpg
1st Corvair pics 187.jpg
1st Corvair pics 181.jpg
1st Corvair pics 180.jpg
1st Corvair pics 149.jpg
1958 Chevy Impala
1966 Corsa Conv.
Ganue60

Post by Ganue60 »

Here is my 1960 Caveman. Took me about 5yrs to get it done. I have owned it for 8yrs now and did most of the work myself. Thanks for voting.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Nice looking early, but it appears you have some engine seals missing on the driver's side, you will want to get those installed if you haven't already.
Fast Eddie
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Fast Eddie »

I agree with Greg. Very pretty EM, but missing dip stick grommet.
If it aint broke, give me a minute
Ganue60

Post by Ganue60 »

Yeah it's missing a few things, guess I need to spend some more$$ on it lol. Thanks for comments.
Fast Eddie
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Fast Eddie »

You've done a great job making that little '60 into a really nice ride. She doesn't look 55...
If it aint broke, give me a minute
Ganue60

Post by Ganue60 »

Thank you Fast Eddie!!
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Great job to all! Ganue60 the little items that are left are really quite inexpensive.
1. Dip stick grommet. Bushing from an upper shock absorber is the perfect size.
2. PCV hole in the top shroud. Plastic hole plug from Lowe's or any hardware store. Put the screws back in the outer holes.
3. Remove fuel pump and rod. Fill hole with correct size freeze plug.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: I'm curious about the engine in the 1960 Caveman. Is it a 1965 or later engine? It has a harmonic balancer from a 1964 or later engine, and an alternator from a 1965 or later. The carburetors are automatic choke units from a 1962-1969, but the choke actuating rods are not installed and the vacuum break mechanisms are missing. I think I can see a choke actuating connection next to the left spark plug boot, so completing the automatic choke system should not be difficult. The distributor is 1962-1969 vintage. There is a magnesium blower from 1964 or later, and one of two fan belt guides from 1965 and later (the top shroud belt guide and mounting holes are missing). The top shroud is apparently 1963-1964 with an opening for a PCV system. Is there a road draft tube installed? You might consider opting for a full PCV system, as I believe it does a better job of removing contaminants from the crankcase and keeps the oil and crankcase cleaner. The air cleaner assembly appears to be 1961-1962 vintage, as it does not seem to have the necessary PCV hose connection, as shown in the illustration below.

I love the two-tone interior and exterior paint, and custom wheels. I believe it is one of the best-looking mild custom caveman Corvairs I've seen. :clap:

PCV Connections (EM and FC).jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Ganue60

Post by Ganue60 »

Thanks Brad for all the pointers and info, the fuel pump has the plug in it already as this pic is an older one and I did realize that until I posted it. But I do need the dip stick grommet still. And also thanks for the nice comments on how it looks. :tu:
Ganue60

Post by Ganue60 »

Brad also all that you mentioned is correct the engine is a late model and yes I do have the PVC valve in place it's just hidden under the top shroud and I live in Az so the chokes are not really necessary out here it doesnt get cold here hahaha!!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: I'm not sure why you would ever want to place the PCV valve under the top shroud. Whether it is a fixed orifice or a PCV valve, it needs to be cleaned and serviced periodically, since it is subject to getting clogged. Placing it under the top shroud makes it inaccessible and leaves a hole in the top shroud, which is a cooling air leak. In addition, for a PCV system to function properly the PCV valve or fixed orifice must be connected to the vacuum balance tube, and the other tube on the PCV system must be connected to the air filter assembly.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Ganue60

Post by Ganue60 »

As I said before the pic is and older pic the hole has been covered. As for accessing the valve it is from the back side of the top shroud. And it is connected for the necessary places also I have no issues with how the car runs at all here in hot country Az.
ncwitte
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by ncwitte »

Hi! I'm trying to be a little more active over here and post more. Looks like there are a couple of beautiful cars already entered for April. I'll toss my hat in the ring because I already know that there's no shame in losing this one.

I'm entering my '65 Corsa turbo convertible. This car was pretty much a complete restoration over an 18 month period and was completed in November 2005. Except for the wheels currently on the car, it's mostly stock, though I did make some color changes.

Here are a bunch of pictures; I'll start with one after, then some befores, and then some afters again:

And now some befores, shortly after I bought this car on eBay:

Ok, enough of that. Here are some more pictures of a shiny car. I will start with some from right after the restoration, showing it with the original wire wheel covers:

And some more recent pictures.

Someday I'd like to put redlines on the car. If I do it will look like this:

Norm Witte
Lansing, Michigan
'65 Corsas: 140 coupe and 180 convertible
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4208
ncwitte
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by ncwitte »

Rondo, I love the color combo on your convertible. That is just plain gorgeous.
Norm Witte
Lansing, Michigan
'65 Corsas: 140 coupe and 180 convertible
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4208

Return to “Corvair of the Month Calendar Page (Sponsored by Clark's Corvair Parts)”