Corvair of the Month January 2015

Calendar page and Gift Certificate to the winner...and of course, BRAGGING RIGHTS!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Online People's Choice Corvair Show - Corvair of the Month.

To enter your vehicle, Reply to the current Corvair of the Month thread, include at least one high quality photo and some info on your entry (year, model, specs, etc). Each show will be limited to the first ten vehicles posted for that month. The voting will begin as soon as ten vehicles are entered or on the 1st of the month, whichever comes first. Please only post vehicles you own and only one per month. Vehicles must be Corvair or Corvair powered. If you win, please do not post the same vehicle in another month during that calendar year. If you won in a previous year you may enter again. The shows will run each month from January through September. In October we will run the "Corvair of the Year" contests. One for all vehicles 1960-1964 and a second for all 1965-1969 vehicles. In November we will have available a Calendar of all of the winners. Please note that by posting pictures in this forum you give corvairforum.com and it's owners the right to use your picture(s) in the calender and website. In order to Vote for your favorite Corvair you will have to have posted at least three times in any forum. In the event of a tie, the vehicle entered first will be the winner.
Scott H
Site Admin

Corvair of the Month January 2015

Post by Scott H »

Image[/center]
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Bigtwin's Monza

Post by BIGTWIN »

Well, I just have to try and enter my car again. Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm. This is my 1961 Monza coupe. All the restoration was done by me except stripping and spraying the body paint and installing the front bucket seat upholstery. I replaced the front half of the left front fender, the lower rocker panels behind each door, and the floor boards, all the wiring except the headlight harness, restored the car to original colors, including the trunk and engine compartment. I added a few touches to my liking including red vinyl accents in the trunk, a Pioneer stereo, speakers inside the rear package shelf, 15"x 6" chrome ring wheels and painted the insides to match the interior red. 205x60x15 radials were added to complete the look I wanted. This is where I started.
When I got it
When I got it
3 new l. side.JPG
1st engine pic.JPG
This is what I ended up with after 1 1/2 years.
At the Heart of Texas Corvair reunion in April 2014
At the Heart of Texas Corvair reunion in April 2014
SANY0083.JPG
I won 3rd place in my class!
Cool trophy made by sponsor club member
Cool trophy made by sponsor club member
After refinishing engine compartment
After refinishing engine compartment
speakers behind the rear seat
speakers behind the rear seat
hand made wood dash faces
hand made wood dash faces
SANY0023.JPG
Houston AutoRama 2014
Houston AutoRama 2014
Class award at the Houston AutoRama
Class award at the Houston AutoRama
The car, as you all know already, is a blast to drive and I enjoy it as often as the weather permits. It never fails to attract admirers.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: ENTER- Corvair of the Month January 2015

Post by bbodie52 »

This little guy makes all of the hard work and funds expendature worthwhile!
Corvair-based Robot and his dog (2).jpg
If we had these to give out as a prize for Corvair of the Month on the Corvair Forum, I think the entries would just pour in!

:tongue: :whoa: :rolling:

You did some beautiful work there with your restoration. Good luck with your entry! :tu:

I noticed a magnesium blower, harmonic balancer, later model distributor, modified PCV system in place of a road draft tube, etc. Is the engine still a 1961? Are the carburetor chokes active? I don't see the manual choke connected or any automatic choke mechanism.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: ENTER- Corvair of the Month January 2015

Post by BIGTWIN »

Thanks. I believe it to be a 61 engine but it has an automatic transmission code on it so it isn't the original. I put the magnesium blower on it but someone else changed the dist out and put the balancer on it . The chokes are operable but disconnected because the cables were missing, but here on the third coast it doesn't usually get so cold that you need them any way. It also had the PCV system but I connected it to the balance tube (not shown in this pic) soon after I reinstalled the engine after the cleanup because oil was misting out the dipstick tube a little. Except for a Pertronix ignition, the blower,and the PCV change I haven't done anything to the engine but clean it up and paint it. That is a great trophy isn't it. As you can tell, it's all car parts, mostly Corvair.
1961 Monza
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Corvair of the Month January 2015

Post by Scott H »

I think this is a first. Only one entry this month. This means BigTwin has won for January 2015. Congrats. :chevy: :tu: :not worthy: :clap:

I changed it up and ran the entries in December which I have never done before. I realize we are all very busy with Christmas and family so entering your cars isn't top priority but I want the extra month at the end of the year to be able to get the calendars done earlier to make sure you all had time to get them for Christmas. It was mid December in 2014 when I got them done which is cutting it way too close. That is why the change...just wanted to explain myself. Carry on. :burnout:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

:tu: I'll take it. Thanks
1961 Monza
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I guess the competition saw you coming, saw your entry, and figured there was no way to compete! Or maybe that little guy on the hood scared them away. Or maybe Christmas had them preoccupied and they forgot! Or somethin' like that...

... Anyway, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and congratulations
on your win with your Corvair of the Month!
:clap: :tu:
COTM - January 2015.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

:rolling: So where do I vote?
DROPPEDATBIRTH

Post by DROPPEDATBIRTH »

Hi Scott, I'm confused lol :dontknow: . Is January over? That is how I took it so I entered the February contest.
Dustin
Sewickley, PA
"63 Corvair Panel"
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

Thanks Brad. Yuk it up Dave, what can I say? It is what it is. I'm glad I didn't have to compete against that great looking Panel Dustin, Good luck. :cool:
1961 Monza

Return to “Corvair of the Month Calendar Page (Sponsored by Clark's Corvair Parts)”