VOTE Corvair of the Month August 2013

Calendar page and Gift Certificate to the winner...and of course, BRAGGING RIGHTS!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Online People's Choice Corvair Show - Corvair of the Month.

To enter your vehicle, Reply to the current Corvair of the Month thread, include at least one high quality photo and some info on your entry (year, model, specs, etc). Each show will be limited to the first ten vehicles posted for that month. The voting will begin as soon as ten vehicles are entered or on the 1st of the month, whichever comes first. Please only post vehicles you own and only one per month. Vehicles must be Corvair or Corvair powered. If you win, please do not post the same vehicle in another month during that calendar year. If you won in a previous year you may enter again. The shows will run each month from January through September. In October we will run the "Corvair of the Year" contests. One for all vehicles 1960-1964 and a second for all 1965-1969 vehicles. In November we will have available a Calendar of all of the winners. Please note that by posting pictures in this forum you give corvairforum.com and it's owners the right to use your picture(s) in the calender and website. In order to Vote for your favorite Corvair you will have to have posted at least three times in any forum. In the event of a tie, the vehicle entered first will be the winner.

Vote for Corvair of the Month August 2013

Poll ended at Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:00 pm

davemotohead
26%
Ganue 1960
11%
TexasAg77
13%
61lake
6%
corvair1960
6%
65corvaircopnj
30%
Chilly Willy
9%

Total votes: 47

Scott H
Site Admin

VOTE Corvair of the Month August 2013

Post by Scott H »

:goofywave: Voting now Open :goofywave:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: ENTER Corvair of the Month August 2013

Post by davemotohead »

Ok,my birthday is in august and will be turning the big 50! So might as well post in the COTM :tu: This car is going to be my next daily driver,I found 2 Corsa's in the desert on a ranch,as the story goes some old timer had them and never got around to fixing them up,so me being the corvair Whisperer as some have called me (Corvairs call my name in the middle of the night) I went and checked them out! What I found was 2 complete 65 corsa's under covers sitting in the hot dry desert,bodies are rust free and perfect,interiors are baked like burnt cookies! so after they were uncovered I decided to make an offer on the orange one,the story was: The engine was completely rebuilt but it never ran right! the old timer told me it was full of "Racing parts" But it would never run right! and after repeted returns to the engine builder a Law suit was pending,,20 years ago! So me being the corvair Savior,,offered $500 bucks for the orange one! DEAL! so after the orange one was loaded on the trailor and was saying my good byes,,the Old timer asked,,"Well son,,thought you were going to take the other one for Parts?" so being the generous guy I am,asked ok? How Much? Well son,,its a parts car so throwing it in for parts! :tongue: SCORE! So now they are Known as Desert find #1 and desert find #2, orange is #1 and red is #2, After getting them Home and inspecting, took the engine out of DF#1 and cleaned out the rats,Started it up and found it running on 5,150 psi in all cylinders except for #2, loosend the valves and BANG! hitting on all 6! SCORE! Thing runs like a Batt out of Hell! it is registered and street legal,just doing slight ding repair /then paint and interior,so its a work in progress,but DAM! what a score! :rafman:
Attachments
corvair parts 129.jpg
corvair parts 129.jpg (65.83 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 131.jpg
corvair parts 131.jpg (64.72 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 134.jpg
corvair parts 134.jpg (66.99 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 136.jpg
corvair parts 136.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 133.jpg
corvair parts 133.jpg (72.47 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 137.jpg
corvair parts 137.jpg (67.12 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 139.jpg
corvair parts 139.jpg (66.78 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 141.jpg
corvair parts 141.jpg (66.54 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 215.jpg
corvair parts 215.jpg (71.12 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 272.jpg
corvair parts 272.jpg (70.5 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 298.jpg
corvair parts 298.jpg (167.05 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 327.jpg
corvair parts 327.jpg (167.8 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair parts 343.jpg
corvair parts 343.jpg (77.37 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair stuff 007.jpg
corvair stuff 037.jpg
Last edited by davemotohead on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

More! :cool: :rafman:
Attachments
corvair stuff 010.jpg
corvair parts 344.jpg
corvair parts 344.jpg (75.13 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
corvair stuff 036.jpg
corvair stuff 028.jpg
corvair stuff 032.jpg
corvair stuff 009.jpg
Ganue 1960

Post by Ganue 1960 »

Here is my 60 Monza 900, it has a 110hp and a 4 speed. This car took me 5 yrs to complete.
Attachments
image.jpg
1960 900
1960 700 4dr
1964 Spyder Vert
1964 Vert
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Looking good, Ganue! I don't see too many 60 2 doors.
TexasAg77

Post by TexasAg77 »

Well, will enter my other 'vair for this month. Here are some pics taken at the Athens, TN Cruise-in. No awards given here, just fun. The car is a '63 927. Palomar Red w/ ivory interior and white top. Am trying to keep it as stock as possible. Body was in good shape when I got it. Needed push rod tubes, it has dropped a valve seat, put the welded dual exhaust on it, etc. Mechanical doesn't scare me as much as having to do the body work.

It has won 2nd in the Helen Concours twice, has a first from a show in Charlotte in 2010, a first at the Local DAV show and a first at the E.TN show in 2011. Love driving this car on days when the top can come down. It is a 102/ PG, which isn't the fastest, but still fun to cruise with.

Bought this a car in '09 after seeing it at the Cleveland TN Main St Cruise In Oct 08 show. As an eight year old, my dad brought a car like this home (only had a black int and boot) after taking our 61 Monza 4 dr to the dealer for regular service. When I saw this one for sale, I had to get it...
Attachments
DSC_0302.JPG
DSC_0303.JPG
DSC_0304.JPG
DSC_0305.JPG
Note the calendar of the Lakewood in the trunk! :)  Was in the 2013 Circle City Clubs Calendar.  Like to show it that way when I can't bring the Lakewood too.
Note the calendar of the Lakewood in the trunk! :) Was in the 2013 Circle City Clubs Calendar. Like to show it that way when I can't bring the Lakewood too.
This is when I saw it in Oct 2008...
This is when I saw it in Oct 2008...
'63 Palomar Red w/ White Convert
'61 Lakewood
TexasAg77

Post by TexasAg77 »

Here is a picture of a couple having their engagement picture taken in the 'vair! Came up and asked yesterday if I would mind. Of course, I didn't and was rather honored as there was a really nice '58 Chevy 'vert there.
Attachments
Picture of the engagement picture being taken!  Sure was fun giving an unknown couple an early wedding gift!
Picture of the engagement picture being taken! Sure was fun giving an unknown couple an early wedding gift!
'63 Palomar Red w/ White Convert
'61 Lakewood
61lake

Post by 61lake »

This is my 1961 Lakewood. It took about a year and a half to restore but was worth every minute. The drivetrain was in good shape to begin with, so most of my work was the interior and body work/paint job. There was a tremendous amount of rust and rot, so alot of time was spent fabricating sheetmetal. Since this was my first paint job it took a very long time to work out the imperfections (runs, orange peal). I used the BC/CC for the paint with the original ermine white, which in my opinion was the best system for a beginner, because it allows you to correct a lot of mistakes. The interior is from a 1963 car and I painted it with red vinyl paint. The Lakewood is a lot of fun to drive, and I hope to start a new project soon, maybe an LM convertible or Rampside.

corvair1960

Post by corvair1960 »

Here is my 64 Monza Sedan 110 hp with PG. Also have the optional rear folding seat. She ran from RI to Kalamazoo MI and back with no issues. Had a great time in MI at the convention seeing old friends and making new ones!
Attachments
At the Gilmore Car Museum
At the Gilmore Car Museum
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG
65corvaircopnj
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

1963 Spyder Convertible - 1 Owner

Post by 65corvaircopnj »

Happy Summer everyone! Top down weather will be gone soon so get out there and show off your wind-blown Vair-hair. Here is my Father's 1963 Spyder Convertible which he bought brand new in the fall of 1962 from Scuncio Chevrolet in NY. After driving off from their Navy wedding, crossed swords and dress whites gleaming, Mom and Dad drove cross-country in this triple-black Spyder to Dad's first duty station in Carmel, California. At the top of the luggage was Mom's wedding dress in it's plastic garment bag. The Badlands sun on the black trunk lid heated up so much that the garment bag stuck to the inside of the lid. (see pic) From there duty stations included Corpus Christi TX, Virginia Beach VA, Rhode Island, and finally Willow Grove PA in 1973. Dad drove planes when assigned to several Carrier Squadrons across the majority of the globe when Communism, Ho Chi Minh, and Cuba were an issue, as well as the start of the Middle East.

After 2 minor restorations the Spyder was put to bed in the early 80's with rocker rot. Over a period of 20+ yrs Dad refurbed just about every original piece of the car while it was stored in the basement. Upon his 2nd retirement, after numerous other Corvairs, and 5 teen drivers, he tackled the car once again. The original shell had been a permanent fixture in the garage growing up for me. It was brought into the daylight again about 5 years ago only to find 45+ years of rot were too much. A 'rust-free' AZ shell was shipped out and the transformation began with the front and rear body clips being totally removed from the old car and re-welded onto the new shell. The body shop did a great job turning a Franken-vair back into a whole car again.

All parts and trim are original to the car and have only known Dad as the owner (aside from the tires and top). He proudly got it back on the road Spring of 2011. I am entering it on his behalf as he prefers just to enjoy it.
Aside from Mom, the Vair really is his first true love that has lasted 50 years! :clap:
Attachments
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1728.JPG
IMG_1729.JPG
IMG_1731.JPG
Garment bag letters
Garment bag letters
IMG_1722.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG
Chris
55 Belair Sedan
Used to have: 65 Monza Convertible; 66 Monza Cp w A/C ; 63 Monza Cp
Chilly Willy

Re: VOTE Corvair of the Month August 2013

Post by Chilly Willy »

our Vair is a 66 with a vairy nice running 140. it has a hartz black canvas top and matching boot and a Glass back window.lowered a touch and running 16" TT 2's. A fun car we love to drive. We Got into corvairs because my wife's childhood memories of riding in a silver blue LM with her grandma. So really it's her's, but I get to work on it and drive it :tu:
corvair pic.JPG
Attachments
052.JPG
applehill.JPG
Chilly Willy

Post by Chilly Willy »

this is such a fun deal :tu:
Ganue 1960

Post by Ganue 1960 »

Added a few more pics of the car.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
1960 900
1960 700 4dr
1964 Spyder Vert
1964 Vert
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

WOW, I am suprized I am getting votes for my 3/4 completed car, There are much more deserving cars here in august than mine, I know I am popular because of my good looks and outstanding personality :tongue: But we are voting on the cars here people :chevy:
Attachments
Bill-Murray-caddyshack.jpg
Bill-Murray-caddyshack.jpg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
65corvaircopnj
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 65corvaircopnj »

Davemoto - personality can get you everywhere.
Chilly - great looking LM!
Here's 2 more that I already posted in another link.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
55 Belair Sedan
Used to have: 65 Monza Convertible; 66 Monza Cp w A/C ; 63 Monza Cp
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Love those Corvair-related family portraits. Always a winner in my opinion!

:clap: :not worthy: Love those family stories about growing up Corvair, too...
65corvaircopnj wrote:...I learned how to drive in a '69 500 that my Dad had bought for my brother and I to beat around in. Soon after digging into the 69 to repaint we found a nice '66 Monza with factory air that we could not pass up. That one was my baby and daily driver all through High School. Everyone always joked about it having 'no engine' but it got more attention at prom than the limos. My Father still has his '63 Spyder convertible that he is the one and only original owner of. He just got it back on the road after a 20 year-long rotisserie resto and it looks great.

My car is was found sitting lonely on a Midas lot in Coatesville, PA. The owner bought it for his wife and had it shipped from CA just after that owner put on a new top and paint. It was not going to bump the '70 vette from the garage. I dropped the engine and replaced the leaky 3-spd with a '66 rear and 4-sp Saginaw. I redid the entire interior myself with Clarks upholstery and door panels, new carpet, entire brake system/lines, shocks, tires, and weather stripping. Repainted and put in a Corsa dash, new wiring front to back, and modified the high beams to house the modern mini-halogen bulbs and still look stock. Has the Clark's ultimate exhaust (which is going for stock duals soon) and is basically a stock mish mash of a '65 with '66 drivetrain. Works great and still gets lots of attention around town. Hoping to see some shows this summer in Ocean City and locally. Thanks for looking!
New Jersey - Father and Son
Family Portrait 1.jpg
South Africa - Father and Son
Family Portrait 2.jpg
Canada - Three Generations
Family Portrait 3.jpg
Bolivia, South America - Three Generations (Including the Photographer)
Family Portrait 4.jpg
Added Jamie Reinhart's picture to this group...
My car and my Dad's car after today's Cruise to Cresco car show. My car won best convertible, his won best antique.
Jamie Reinhart's LM and his father's EM.jpg
All of this attitude and affection for Corvair family portraits probably stems from my own history with my father and family Corvairs...
California - Father and Son (1965)
Family Portrait 5.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Corvair of the Month Calendar Page (Sponsored by Clark's Corvair Parts)”