Corvair of the Month March 2013

Calendar page and Gift Certificate to the winner...and of course, BRAGGING RIGHTS!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Online People's Choice Corvair Show - Corvair of the Month.

To enter your vehicle, Reply to the current Corvair of the Month thread, include at least one high quality photo and some info on your entry (year, model, specs, etc). Each show will be limited to the first ten vehicles posted for that month. The voting will begin as soon as ten vehicles are entered or on the 1st of the month, whichever comes first. Please only post vehicles you own and only one per month. Vehicles must be Corvair or Corvair powered. If you win, please do not post the same vehicle in another month during that calendar year. If you won in a previous year you may enter again. The shows will run each month from January through September. In October we will run the "Corvair of the Year" contests. One for all vehicles 1960-1964 and a second for all 1965-1969 vehicles. In November we will have available a Calendar of all of the winners. Please note that by posting pictures in this forum you give corvairforum.com and it's owners the right to use your picture(s) in the calender and website. In order to Vote for your favorite Corvair you will have to have posted at least three times in any forum. In the event of a tie, the vehicle entered first will be the winner.

Vote for Corvair of the Month for March 2013

Poll ended at Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:50 am

unsafe
35%
jonwoolf
11%
60vair
1%
corvair1
8%
jtvairs
32%
mike
11%

Total votes: 71

jennirw
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Corvair of the Month March 2013

Post by jennirw »

:wave: Voting Now Open! :wave:
MARCH CORVAIR OF THE MONTH.jpg
COTMBanner.png
CRAZY GEORGE IS PROVIDING THIS TRIVIT FOR MARCH
CRAZY GEORGE IS PROVIDING THIS TRIVIT FOR MARCH
1960 700 COUPE
ADMINISTRATOR- "1960 CAVEMAN CORVAIR" Facebook
ADMINISTRATOR- "CAVEMAN CORVAIRS, THE 1960 GROUP" CORSA special interest chapter 003 Facebook
ADMINISTRATOR- "DETROIT AREA CORVAIR CLUB (DACC)" Facebook
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Corvair of the Month March 2013

Post by UNSAFE »

Edit --

I bought this car in 2000 when I had a 3.1 liter big bore engine and needed something to put it in,

I found the car in Portland Or thru a CORSA ad. I flew in , went for a ride and bought the car. Then I drove it down into California
and then back up the coast highway to Seattle where I shipped it to Alaska. I removed the motor right away and replaced it with the 3.1 but then I ran into a bunch
of problems with the silly fuel injection system. I installed Weber carbs and the rest is history.
This is how it looked when I got it - note the Buick wheels and lack of decklid spoiler.
895.JPG
1047.JPG
I have done most of the work on the car myself in a tiny tent on a hillside in Alaska including my first ever attempt at painting.
1005.jpg
1086.JPG
countdown7.jpg
dash b.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG
999.JPG
1104.JPG
The engine is a big bore 3.1 with 40mm Weber carbs, it has an Otto 30 cam with roller rockers ,stud girdles and titaniun retainers.
1200.jpg
1200.jpg (18.99 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
1064.jpg
1064.jpg (156.32 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
The headers are from the defunct Wheelerizing and feature O2 sensors and a crankcase evacuation system to relieve internal engine pressure.
1201.jpg
The bumpers are fiberglass and the rear Glass is poly. The rear decklid is a carbon fiber Yenko style unit.
911.jpg
The seats are from a Subie and have been recovered in original 65 Monza material ( no photo with new upholstry yet). The back seat has been lightened and cut down by about 4".
1012.JPG
922.jpg
Brakes are 11" disk front and rear with caddy rear calipers and Wilwood GM metric fronts and a Wilwood MC.
988.jpg
988.jpg (28.18 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
996.JPG
My street wheels and tires are American Racing Torque Thrust IIs with BF Goodrich G-Force KD Y rated tires.
933.jpg
No heat or radio but a sweet sounding Supertrapp exhaust system.

Vote for UNSAFE or else :rafman:
Attachments
633_mv_agricultural.jpg
946.jpg
1053.jpg
1134.JPG
1147.JPG
1235.JPG
Kevin Wilson Car 2.jpg
2 fast vairs 2.jpg
drag3.jpg
KevinWilsonOnTrack.JPG
nader old.JPG
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
jonwoolf

Post by jonwoolf »

I'm in! 1962 El Correcamino, rebuilt 110, a/c, cruise control, pg, maybe a wagon in a previous life.
Attachments
72125243JpClzJ_ph.jpg
72125243JpClzJ_ph.jpg (84.83 KiB) Viewed 3319 times
elcorvairo-003.jpg
elcorvairo-003.jpg (83.33 KiB) Viewed 3319 times
60vair

Post by 60vair »

MY 1967 700 COUPE "MOUSE HOUSE" - DAILY DRIVER
We purchased this car in June of 2011 along with a 1963 Monza coupe. $500 total cost for both cars. We parted out the 63. The cars were in Adrian, Michigan. We took them down to my brother's place in Morenci, Michigan to clean up a prepare them to be moved to my place in Clio, Michigan. We blew a tire on the way to Clio.
MY WORKHORSE CORVAIR
MY WORKHORSE CORVAIR
AS PURCHASED
AS PURCHASED
AS PURCHASED
AS PURCHASED
MOUSE NESTS
MOUSE NESTS
INITIAL CLEANUP
INITIAL CLEANUP
RUST REPAIR
RUST REPAIR
Corvair1

Post by Corvair1 »

I have put a lot of time, effort, expense and loving care into my car since I purchase it. Having the need to keep myself busy over the winter months I decided to pull the engine and tear it down right to the crank having close to 90,000 clicks on her and using a little oil I think it was time.
I will provide pictures for everything I do and all the modifications suggested by Bryan Blackwell especially the carbs (His Site: (autoxer.skiblack.com). I'm using Clark's carb rotation system and went to a electric fuel pump so I could get rid of that fuel line snake pit. With the final setup the only thing showing will be my fuel filter and 2 lines coming out for the carbs on ether side from a polished stainless steel firewall.
I should mention Seth Emerson who built my wires with 90 deg. boots on them so they wouldn't get tangled up with rotation linkage (wireset.com/default.aspx) and Grant in Florida that built my carbs.

It is to long to post it all here, you can continue my project at this address http://corvairone.com/winterproject.htm

This is my pride and joy.
P1010002.JPG
P1010002.JPG (31.71 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
P1010005.JPG
P1010005.JPG (41.13 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
P1010016.JPG
P1010016.JPG (38.74 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
P1010011big.JPG
P1010011big.JPG (45.03 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
ImageImageImage
Herb (Corvair1)
Alexandria, Ontario
Canada
jtvairs

Post by jtvairs »

I'll probably have to post pictures separately---this is our 61 Rampside Deluxe 102HP/4Speed (XXO crate engine) 56K miles on body. Was repainted in 1969. Only modifications are Diamondback Wide Whitewall Radials and 70's era FM converter on original AM Radio
Attachments
over Downtown Des Moines
over Downtown Des Moines
my61rampy.jpg (83.32 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
jtvairs

Post by jtvairs »

Two more Pictures
Attachments
myrampy61.png
racing at Marshalltown
racing at Marshalltown
jtvairs

Post by jtvairs »

Christmas Parade ready
Attachments
Dressed for Christmas
Dressed for Christmas
And the story on this truck.? OK...the original owner had it repainted in 1969, second owner drove it very little. Somewhere around 1982 an NOS XXO(61-63 102HP wagon/FC) Crate engine was installed. Between 1982 and 84 it was driven about 2000 miles-odometer read 54K. It was parked from 1985 till February of 2011 inside a closed Chevy Dealership old brick building. The fuel system cleaned, has heads cleaned and worked over, a coat of polish.....ok maybe a few more small things...but who's counting? (the picture is how it looked when we pulled it out of the building and drove it home- new battery and gas, away we go-notice the "dust")...not to mention the rock hard 30 year old 6 ply transport tires I drove home on
And the story on this truck.? OK...the original owner had it repainted in 1969, second owner drove it very little. Somewhere around 1982 an NOS XXO(61-63 102HP wagon/FC) Crate engine was installed. Between 1982 and 84 it was driven about 2000 miles-odometer read 54K. It was parked from 1985 till February of 2011 inside a closed Chevy Dealership old brick building. The fuel system cleaned, has heads cleaned and worked over, a coat of polish.....ok maybe a few more small things...but who's counting? (the picture is how it looked when we pulled it out of the building and drove it home- new battery and gas, away we go-notice the "dust")...not to mention the rock hard 30 year old 6 ply transport tires I drove home on
Last edited by jtvairs on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Post by Mike »

1965 A Sports Racer 406 Cubic Inch 540 hp Crown V8 Corvair Racer.
Attachments
Almost ready.jpg
Vair and Vette.jpg
003.JPG
004.JPG
new pic 3.jpg
006.JPG
005.JPG
DSC02977.JPG
DSC01057.JPG
CCF01282012_00000.jpg
LevineVintageMotorsport1.jpg
Last edited by Mike on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Hi Mike - good to see you here !

I hope this is "legal" -- here's a few more pics of Mike's car . These are from the Mitty 2012 at Road Atlanta.
Attachments
IMG_2805.JPG
IMG_2807.JPG
DSCN1568.JPG
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
jtvairs

Post by jtvairs »

More about us? The cars? No problem! Another round of shameless self promotion...lol!!! Just go visit JTVairs.com And Vote RAMPY!
Attachments
rampt.jpg
jtvairs

Post by jtvairs »

A casual video we took of the Rampside at the Marshalltown IA track. No, not a serious race, just for fun!

A little more about JTVairs.... we have been together almost 5 years, John has always had Corvairs. We are the Corvair Rescue team, at least for Iowa. We find them, they find us. We clean them up, get them running and have had some great success recruiting new Corvair owners. People who would not have normally chosen one, are delighted with their reasonably priced, dependable, gas friendly, easy to work on, Corvairs. Visit us at jtvairs.com and look at the home page. Those are the cars we currently own. There is a page called, "Corvairs we have known". This contains the vehicles we have owned, or vehicles we have found for friends.

2013 is seeing some changes, as there are at least a dozen 'vairs right here in the Des Moines area. The IA club operates mostly in the Eastern edge of the state, something needed to change. After a meeting this month, the club agrees we need to hold some events further West. April 20 we're holding a beginners tech session, followed by some other events designed to expand ICE membership.

Ours is a laid back attitude. Whether you love concourse, autocross or daily drivers, we're good. We aren't fans of highly modified Corvairs, but there are times when a car might otherwise go to the crusher, so anything goes! We try to have vehicles people can touch and sit in, one of John's favorite things is to lower the ramp on the truck and invite people to step in, "after all, you know you WANT to!" It's fun to sit back and watch people put their little ones in the back and take photos. One day, we turned to notice a young man, probably a football player, likely 300 lbs, standing in the back, just exploring the 'feel' of being in the Rampy...it was a LOL moment! Everyone is welcome!

We have been invited to enter the contest, but we usually just watch. Our votes come from the 'street' where we turn heads, change minds about Corvairs, and find that we don't have nearly the friends driving our newer vehicle that we do when we're in a 'vair. But all of you know that already!
Attachments
Rampy adel bw color.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:tongue: "Unsafe" and "Mike" may build the best Racers... :nascar:

:fc front: But "jonwoolf" and "JTVairs" have the best Parts Chasers...

:dontknow: But best for the street?

"60vair" and "Corvair1" have them all beat! :rallye: :camptrailer:

Stupid, I know, but on with "the show". ::-):

So cast your vote in this Forum teaser...

:whoa: :sad: :tease:
...to show your preference for the best people pleaser! :hearteyes: :heartbeat: :inlove: :woo:

:confused: Sorry... too much time on my hands! :typing:Image

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Richard1
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Richard1 »

Tough choice. I'll have to flip a coin between the two I'd love to have if I could.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

That was difficult! :confused: my vote went for Mike's race car. I love it. :tu: :chevy: :burnout: :nascar:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

:oldtimer: This is getting tough, each Month :think: is just as good as the other....You guys are not making it easy....I know its got to be the super gift certificate from our man Rafee cant be them lucky horse shoes I made but just a bonus.... I do know that unsafe car and did get to drive her, just cant explain it, just plane nerve chilling fast :evil: that other race baby in there Mike's is just amazing ..... sharp looking others and eye catchers... :pray: I am still undesided .... tough tough :dontknow: I do like them all.... I may have to roll some dice this time...... :goodpost: nice entries this month guys... lets see that we get them voting numbers up and enter more photo's.. :tu: ...good luck all :confused: CG :CGebay: ps. I got my ebay back... :neener:

Return to “Corvair of the Month Calendar Page (Sponsored by Clark's Corvair Parts)”