Corvair of the Month July 2011

Calendar page and Gift Certificate to the winner...and of course, BRAGGING RIGHTS!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Online People's Choice Corvair Show - Corvair of the Month.

To enter your vehicle, Reply to the current Corvair of the Month thread, include at least one high quality photo and some info on your entry (year, model, specs, etc). Each show will be limited to the first ten vehicles posted for that month. The voting will begin as soon as ten vehicles are entered or on the 1st of the month, whichever comes first. Please only post vehicles you own and only one per month. Vehicles must be Corvair or Corvair powered. If you win, please do not post the same vehicle in another month during that calendar year. If you won in a previous year you may enter again. The shows will run each month from January through September. In October we will run the "Corvair of the Year" contests. One for all vehicles 1960-1964 and a second for all 1965-1969 vehicles. In November we will have available a Calendar of all of the winners. Please note that by posting pictures in this forum you give corvairforum.com and it's owners the right to use your picture(s) in the calender and website. In order to Vote for your favorite Corvair you will have to have posted at least three times in any forum. In the event of a tie, the vehicle entered first will be the winner.

Vote for Corvair of the Month July 2011

Poll ended at Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:43 pm

Gregory_Miller 1965 Corsa Clone
10%
Corvair.crazy 1962 Spyder vert
6%
paulcomi 1964 Monza vert
3%
Grymm 1963 Monza coupe
13%
ausydad 1966 coupe
6%
Motornoggin 1966 Corsa Turbo coupe
61%

Total votes: 31

Scott H
Site Admin

Corvair of the Month July 2011

Post by Scott H »

The First Ten Vehicles posted are in the Show for this month.

The Sponsor is
Parts and service, in the Heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice

The winner this month will get a $10.00 Gift Certificate from Rafee Corvair.

Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Trip

Re: Corvair of the Month July 2011

Post by Trip »

This month we are submitting Missy's Daily driver (63' Monza coupe; white with red interior). The custom wheels and aggresive stance give the car a look not often found among the early cars!!!

EDIT: Scroll down a ways for the new post with all the pics including "before and after" shots!
Last edited by Trip on Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Up for consideration again this month:
My 1965 Corsa Clone. Started off life as a 3 speed 110 HP Monza, built in Oakland, Ca. Original purchaser lived in Oakland, and the PO's father bought it from the original owner. Technically, I'm the 4th owner, but 2 were in the same family. It was white with a red interior. It has been outfitted with a tricked-out 140, 66 Saginaw 4 speed tranny and diff, (which has been drilled for both a trans oil dipstick AND a drain plug) 280 cam, plorted/polished heads, total seal rings, and a big single exhaust for a nice sound. I have added some minor cosmetic items, plus oil cooler side covers, fresh primary carburetors, and a new 140 Corsa balance tube so I can operate the vacuum gauge in the dash. A set of Seth Emerson's silicon wires add a bit of pop to the engine compattment. Future plans include DIS and TBI. Vote for moi!!
I'm not afraid to put her in shows. I get a lot of love from the crowd, less from the judges.
Slick custom interior with fabric centers, no "sweaty back syndrome" in summer heat.
Nice Grant steering wheel, quick-ratio steering arms, lowered and sticks to the road!
So, vote for me!
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

Here is our entry, A 1962 Spyder, Orginally The owner of Dale Manufacturing , a provider of bolted flywheels and distributors for decades, he purchased in 1975, We are the third owner of it. Restored the interior this winter and enjoy driving it on nice days. The turbo runs great and everything works right down to the glovebox light. Please vote for my wife's and mine little car..
Deponte 001.jpg
Deponte 003.jpg
Deponte Cropped.jpg
Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside
paulcomi

Post by paulcomi »

Here's my 64 convertible monza. Its a 4 speed 110 hp.

64vert
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 64vert »

:tu: :tu: and :tu:
omaha, ne
corvair midwest
CORSA
Trip

Post by Trip »

I'm going to change it up and enter Missy's 63' Monza instead of my Corsa.

Though this is Missy's car (her daily driver!) I own and built it. I'll post a "before" picture also, the BEFORE picture is from just 13 months ago!!!!

This car is nowhere near perfect but it looks very nice. Fat tires on the back, skinny on the front for that hot-rod look. This is the first car I ever replaced upholstery in, I stayed up all night and did all the seats in one 12 hour stretch! New carpet and headliner too, but painted interior surfaces are original.

We bought this car out of a barn and not running in May 2010 for $350! One month later it was on the road and providing Missy transportation to and from work. About 6 months later it was as pictured here!

Be sure to look at the "before" shots!

Thanks!
Attachments
DSC01777.jpg
DSC01774.jpg
DSC01510.JPG
DSC01504.JPG
1.jpg
1.jpg (44.7 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (49.39 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
100_2740.JPG
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Oh, may I submit that my candidate for Corvair of the month has been performing the duties of the daily driver for over a week now as my regular one popped the heater core, and it's going to take about 8 hours of work to replace that. I have well over 100 miles on her this last week and it's been a treat driving it. Vote for me!!
ausydad

Post by ausydad »

Mine isn't much to look at and won't run for more than about 3 minutes, but it is gaining a lot of attention in the neighborhood and is being used to educate the children how what it is, an how much history and craftsmanship goes into each of these. Hopefully you enjoy a little:
ImageImage
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Motornoggin »

I'll throw my hat into the ring, so to speak.

'66 Corsa Turbo with the four speed transmission. Just under 30,000 original miles. My father and I bough it back in '96 or '97 from the widow of the original owner. The original owner drove it to the base and in between deployments as an Air Guard pilot. He was unfortunately killed in a trainign accident in '80. His wife kept it as a momento until she decided she could no longer let it sit and rot away. It had not been inspected, nor registered since '81. The windshield still shows what's left of the last inspection decal. Her father looked for someone that would take it and restore it and care for it as her husband had. I hope we lived up to that promise, though I have lost any contact info for her so she can see it. I hope she knows it's in good hands.
Even though it had so few miles, it still was pretty rough having been wrapped in a blue tarp in the back yard for 15-16 years. The body had severe surface rust, but no rust through and only one ding on the hood. I had my good friend Brian paint it for me. He wouldn't tell me exactly, but he stopped counting after 200 hours of block sanding. Black isn't easy!

The interior faired better and only needed a cleaning, new carpet and a dye job on the rear seat back, as well as package tray and rear window trim.

The mechaincals were good, just needing consumables, fluids, gas tank and brakes. I've done some suspension work, lowering the front about three inches and the rear about an inch. I added 15x7 GM ralley wheels painted Viper red with stainless caps and trim rings. Tires are 205/50-15 up front with 205/60-15 out back for a nice rake.

Finally getting it looking like I want, just a couple things to do, as well as getting it reliable enough to really enjoy out on the road. New eletric fuel pump today made a big difference in how it starts and runs when warm. If I can get the belt issue figured out, I'll be good!

Thanks for looking and for your consideration!

:chevy:
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Yes, black is very tough, but it's looking good, motornoggin!!! :tu:

Still vote for me, though. :evil:
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Motornoggin »

I've voted for you a couple times so far. Just might do it again.

Thanks for the kind words!
Trip

Post by Trip »

Beautiful car and great story Motornoggin, I think she'd be very happy with what you've done with the car =)

Also around here "severe rust" and "no holes through" don't go together!!!
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Motornoggin »

I should have had pics of when we got it. The steel body had a grid pattern etched into it from the moisture and sand under the tarp. It was like someone had taken a file and cut tiny squares into the metal. Brian told me he would rather massage dents or cut out rust than fix damaged metal like that. I knew it would be worht it though!
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Time to Vote! :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Trip

Post by Trip »

Whoohoo! One out of three isn't bad, Missy is excited! Keep em coming guys!! I'm trying to get a picture of Missy's car on the highway, it looks really sweet when it's cruising.... I just need a driver and follow car so I can snap a few pics. Hopefully I'll get one up in the next few days!
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible

Return to “Corvair of the Month Calendar Page (Sponsored by Clark's Corvair Parts)”